Manning fired yet?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I kind of thought they should have put Mitchell in .

We call all be arm chair coaches. My thought with having Mitchell is they would have used him more like the Saints have used Hill. Just can't leave him on the bench all year.

Reactions: cyfan21

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Definitely should fire the OC that broke school records over a meaningless bowl game. Smart decision makers would do that.
I don't think Manning should be fired, but he absolutely needs to go shadow an experienced, successful OC for the next 6 months. He needs someone to also to be critical of his play calls in different situations. If there continues to be no development, he has to go.

• Informative

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
They did last night like crazy.

Iowa threw deep WAY more than us all season. I guess they just have the QB and WRs to do it, but we don't?

Nobody has yet to explain why we don't have a RB screen play.... or a simple dump off outlet for Purdy to throw to when he's in trouble. This is basic simple stuff that Manning just can't seem to design.

You don't need the qb and receivers to throw deep. Pretty much every team had that, you need the offensive line.

RVD4

Dec 26, 2011
A couple of things I noticed, the oline is not very good, the defense gets a little predictable, I wish we would throw a 4 man front at them once in a while. Maybe I haven't seen it but it looks like we a missing a leader on the sidelines. Agree 100 % on lining up behind center. The other play I wish we would install is the Bill Snyder Quarterback sneek jump pass. Manning left us and came back so he is not above reproach.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21 and cyputz

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I don't think Manning should be fired, but he absolutely needs to go shadow an experienced, successful OC for the next 6 months. He needs someone to also to be critical of his play calls in different situations. If there continues to be no development, he has to go.

I think if you believe Campbell isn’t critical of some of his play calls behind closed doors, you haven’t ever paid attention to Campbell before.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I think if you believe Campbell isn’t critical of some of his play calls behind closed doors, you haven’t ever paid attention to Campbell before.
Then it needs to be someone outside of the program, like I said. Go be an understudy for multiple months. Learn to take criticism and DO something about it. Using yesterday's game as an example, ND's defensive game plan worked perfectly and we didn't make adjustments to it. As an OC, that's your job to make in game adjustments. Even the dudes sitting in the booth were highlighting what they did to take players out of the game.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Then it needs to be someone outside of the program, like I said. Go be an understudy for multiple months. Learn to take criticism and DO something about it. Using yesterday's game as an example, ND's defensive game plan worked perfectly and we didn't make adjustments to it. As an OC, that's your job to make in game adjustments. Even the dudes sitting in the booth were highlighting what they did to take players out of the game.

I agree we didn’t make adjustments against Notre Dame. But overall, Manning has been pretty good at making adjustments. We’re in the 80s in the country in scoring in the first half and we’re top 10/15 in scoring in the second half. At least a good chunk of the reasoning for that is adjustments.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I agree we didn’t make adjustments against Notre Dame. But overall, Manning has been pretty good at making adjustments. We’re in the 80s in the country in scoring in the first half and we’re top 10/15 in scoring in the second half. At least a good chunk of the reasoning for that is adjustments.
I've wondered about that (second half adjustments). Is it really as simple as is making proper adjustments or is it more or less the same plan, we're just not showing up to start the game? I seriously don't know.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I've wondered about that (second half adjustments). Is it really as simple as is making proper adjustments or is it more or less the same plan, we're just not showing up to start the game? I seriously don't know.

Making proper adjustments = good Manning

Not showing up to start games = bad on players

Sounds like Manning is doing is job in both scenarios?

• Friendly
Reactions: RedDog

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Why can't we just run a simple QB sneak, or a RB screen, or have a RB go out to the flat as a dump off safety valve for Purdy when he's in trouble, or run some misdirection once in a while to keep opposing DE's honest, or use a short quick passing game if our OL can't pass protect, etc, etc, etc.

I'm just really concerned about this team next year. Football games are always won in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Our OL next year will be completely revamped and inexperienced, and the DL will really miss Lima and Jamahl bad IMO.

Combine that with the same offensive scheme (totally vanilla and not creative at all) that we had this season, the same terrible special teams that we've always had, and continually losing games in the margins and details like usual, and we'll be looking at a 5 or 6 win season.

Sorry if that offends the cardinal and gold kool aid drinkers, but someone has to look at the facts and evidence staring us all right in the face. It's like all the people that thought we would beat ND, even though there was no facts or evidence supporting that belief.... just wishful thinking.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Do you think coaches don’t talk and work with other coaches? Our staff went to Clemson to learn from their coaches a few years back, and their defensive coaches came to Ames to learn from Heacock.

We Are Iowa State. Our coaches don’t actually coach, we don’t gain experience, only other coaching staffs do. This “little *****” mindset of the fans is pathetic.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Why can't we just run a simple QB sneak, or a RB screen, or have a RB go out to the flat as a dump off safety valve for Purdy when he's in trouble, or run some misdirection once in a while to keep opposing DE's honest, or use a short quick passing game if our OL can't pass protect, etc, etc, etc..

The running back has to stay in to block because our line traditionally has not been very good. But also like, 95% of Breece’s catches are him going out into the flat?

Also, you keep saying we don’t do short passes and I’m just not understanding where you’re coming from there. That’s the majority of our passing game. That’s how Jones racked up all the catches he did. We struggled so mightily against Notre Dame BECAUSE THEY TOOK THAT AWAY. We didn’t know how to adjust because it’s such a large part of our passing game. I have no idea what games you’re watching where you think we don’t do that.

Also, we run screens, just with Akers, not the running back. It’s no different.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The running back has to stay in to block because our line traditionally has not been very good. But also like, 95% of Breece’s catches are him going out into the flat?

Also, you keep saying we don’t do short passes and I’m just not understanding where you’re coming from there. That’s the majority of our passing game. That’s how Jones racked up all the catches he did. We struggled so mightily against Notre Dame BECAUSE THEY TOOK THAT AWAY. We didn’t know how to adjust because it’s such a large part of our passing game. I have no idea what games you’re watching where you think we don’t do that.

Also, we run screens, just with Akers, not the running back. It’s no different.

I noticed Clemson and OSU running lots of the stuff that Clonedude wants.

Having their players helps.

There's nothing 'creative' about getting the ball to Dobbins in space.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
It's blatantly obvious that are problems are 100% driven by the OL. We had decent offensive output in spite of them.

Look no further than yesterday. ND usually rushing and gathering quick pressure with only 4-5 players, leaving 6-7 in coverage. We leave at least one of an RB or TE to help the OL, if not both. Gives us 3-4 receivers downfield against 6-7 defenders. I wonder why it was hard to find open guys on short notice...

• Agree
Reactions: CNECloneFan

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I mean we all know that QB sneaks work 80% of the time
I saw one in a later game yesterday that they lost yards on. And I thought they were guaranteed for success 100% of the time. I'm still learning and am not a candidate for Manning's position.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron