Looking At Texas

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Basically this team will win or die over what plays out along the line of scrimmage, the perpetual weakness (on both sides of the ball) for Iowa State football.
I completely disagee with this statement. Can not believe it was even made. Perpetual weakness.......really? Maybe offensively until this year, but the defensive line has been solid.

Last edited:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Texas did a pretty good job of containing Cubba, but the OSU OL is no where near as good as it was last year. Hopefully Hall will get his without a ton of carries. The big thing to me is don't turn the ball over. OSU had 4 or 5 TOs and was still tied with TX at the end of regulation. Contain Ehlinger in the pocket and get some heat on him and he becomes marginal. Let him get loose on the run or give him time and he just makes things happen.

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
Phil Steele looks at this every year in his preseason magazine to see who might have over-performed or under-performed.

Total Offense vs Total Defense in Big 12 Play (games remaining in parentheses)

Oklahoma: +144.4 (@WVU, BU)
West Virginia: +133.0 (OU, @ISU)
Iowa State: +113.3 (@UT, WVU)
Oklahoma State: +57.4 (TT, @TCU, @BU)
TCU: +13.3 (@KU, OSU)
Texas: -33.8 (ISU, @KSU, @KU)
Baylor: -50.4 (KSU, @OU, OSU)
Texas Tech: -67.7 (@OSU, KU)
Kansas State: -103.2 (@BU, UT)
Kansas: -246.4 (TCU, @TT, UT)

Texas's numbers in that department will improve just based on who they have left to play, but I'll be surprised if they end up better than +30 yards per game on average. That translates to about a .500 record, maybe a game above, on average.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Charlie will need to have one of his best games this Friday. Use him on quick outs or over the middle if they blitz.

Successful runs by Breece will make them more gunshy on blitzing in general, you cannot blitz a successful running game as they say.

I'd like to see us go uptempo a bit more, this clearly is what Purdy prefers you can tell in his energy on the field. Their pass D so far has been fairly ******, time for Xavier to have another standout game. Would be nice to see Joe Scates or a WR #2 make some plays on the outside.

On D I will be much more nervous if Rose cannot go, some say he is questionable. If so this is a huge game for Aric Horne or whoever they sub in for him. We need to get lots of hits on Sam, i think he tweaked his ankle against WVA and may not be 100%

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
There isn't anything definitive, other than that he was slightly nicked up at the end of last week. He could be a go - just something I heard from the other board.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Damn, it looked to me like Rose was limping as he walked off the field after the game. Concerned me at the time but I forgot about it til now. I think he only played one or two possessions in the 2nd half so now I’ll go back and watch his last couple series and see if there was a play where he seemed to get injured. He is just a dude, probably the best defensive player in the conference. We need him at full speed.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Campbell and Co did a piss poor job of making adjustments to, and likely anticipating, that kind of defensive attack. They kept running plays the line couldn't block for. Receivers also weren't even close to being out of their breaks when Purdy needed to unload.

We need to have a better game plan for that kind of attack. Utilize some 2 TE sets for chip blocks and implement a few more designed rollouts. Quick slants, crosses, etc will also help and could be paramount in establishing a rhythm. If Texas doesn't copy OSU's game plan they aren't very smart. Oline (and WR speed) is the offensive Achilles heel(s). Attack it until we show we can adjust and be successful.

I really think it comes down to keeping our QB clean and being able to get off the field on 3rd (and long). Basically this team will win or die over what plays out along the line of scrimmage, the perpetual weakness (on both sides of the ball) for Iowa State football.
Great post. We seem to struggle with this, see Louisiana and OSU this year and the 2017 Texas game at the Jack. Sure Parks may have been high, but our route trees took way too long to develop. If Texas plays that way on Friday we have to run slants, shallow crosses and throw to the backs including some screens. Get it out quick.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I feel like we have more speed at LB this year than in years past. That should help neutralize Ehrlinger's legs, which are always an x-factor. Rose and Vance flow to the ball REALLY fast, and Eisworth is very good in run support.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Friggin Texas.
Please Football playing Cyclones: don't get big headded with respect to the coming game. Let it scare you into hyper-preparation.

Peace my friends.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
If Rose is not 100 percents, that is not good. He makes so many plays. I don't think we can beat Texas without Rose.

• Agree
Reactions: amishclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Great post. We seem to struggle with this, see Louisiana and OSU this year and the 2017 Texas game at the Jack. Sure Parks may have been high, but our route trees took way too long to develop. If Texas plays that way on Friday we have to run slants, shallow crosses and throw to the backs including some screens. Get it out quick.
Don’t put much of 17 Texas for play calling on the coaches. Park was changing plays a lot from what I was told.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I just watched replay..
last play Rose was in on he chased the QB but no contact at all and he was sprinting fine..he didn’t return and on sidelines hes standing..next to Campbell at times..wasn’t on bench with Trainers or anything..

Obviously those in the know heard something but I guessed I’d be pretty surprised if M Rose has An injury that is that severe to where he won’t play.. Didn’t see anything at all re watching game, doesn’t mean he didn’t hurt something, just sayin.

• Winner
Reactions: cyclone1209

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I just watched replay..
last play Rose was in on he chased the QB but no contact at all and he was sprinting fine..he didn’t return and on sidelines hes standing..next to Campbell at times..wasn’t on bench with Trainers or anything..

Obviously those in the know heard something but I guessed I’d be pretty surprised if M Rose has An injury that is that severe to where he won’t play.. Didn’t see anything at all re watching game, doesn’t mean he didn’t hurt something, just sayin.
In HS I was on the sidelines with my arm in a sling and after a turnover I jumped in celebration and messed up my ankle in a stupid gopher hole. So I was doubly injured. Stinking Ventura. My son had to play there about 6 years ago, looked like a mess still. So it’s possible to get injured on the sidelines. Dont think we have gopher holes but injuries are possible.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I just watched replay..

On that tackle as he was walking past, I did see him favor a leg. Slight, but nevertheless.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I took a look at a forum about the game on Orangebloods. After a long post about how UT should win and has more talent, I read this enlighted and respectful post:

I'd slow down with the "big talent differential between TX and ISU".

They have the best RB in the conference who leads the nation in rushing. They are at least as good at QB. Their TE room has multiple NFL talents.

On D we don't have a LB like Mike Rose who will probably be 1st team all BIg 12 and maybe an All American. Their DC Jon Heacock has been solid with their D for a few years now.

The last poster when I took a look said that the best coach was not on UT's sideline. At least a couple people in Bevo-land show us a little respect.