Lineup going forward

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think before the season people were saying we had 5 guys, 6 if Bolton was eligible, and that we really needed 1-2 of Lewis, Griffin, Jackson, Grill or Leech to be legit. Grill, Griffin, and Jackson have been okay, but none are really playing at a level where you can swap them in for a starter without a drop off. Hopefully they use these 3 cupcakes they have left to get Grill, Zion, and Jackson more time. All three look like they’re at least a year away though.

• Disagree
Reactions: sheepplucker

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
Weird. Since I could swear that a week or two ago he said in an interview that he hasn't practiced the two of them together, but would think about it.

Maybe I was remembering two different names, Conditt and someone else?
The lineups with Conditt so far have been him + 4 guards and him + Jacobsen.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I don't understand why some people say Conditt is a bad rebounder. Jacobson is averaging 7.6 rpg in the 26.4 mpg he plays. Solo is playing 20.6 and Conditt 17.6 mpg.

If minutes are equalized at Jacobson's 26.4 mpg, Conditt would avg 7.3 rpg and Solo 4.2.rpg.

IMO Conditt.ahould start at the stretch 4 position and defend the opponent's stretch 4. Let Jacobson play the 5

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
a few thoughts through 7 games

• Jacobsons regression has been discouraging
  • Nixon is a beast on D but is still the volume chucker on O he was at CSU
  • Griffin has not taken the next step like many hoped he would
  • Grill has been a very pleasant surprise. kid isnt going to light up the box score but does a ton of little stuff
  • I thank God every game Bolton got his waiver approved
  • Conditt needs to be more focused on his crap defense than he does hollarin' to the crowd or trash talking
These are exactly my observations as well.

Reactions: isutrevman

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Are we sure Foster wants to play another season of morbid 3A basketball?

He'd be getting about 28 minutes a game if he was here now.

• Funny
Reactions: Artic Zone

spinback32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 24, 2006
Cedar Rapids
IMO.... Jacobson, Solo, and Conditt all have good looking mid range shots - so, since we don't rebound - maybe let them shoot those more?

We desperately need to run more motion/screens on offense - our 4- out spacing offense just hasn't been consistently good with this group.

I love Conditt, but, at times, he's like Cam Lard - in that he'll play bad defense, in order to chase a block.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I'm sure the coaching staff has many of the same observations/debate that we have on here:

they need nixon's defense but he forces it and takes bad shots.

we need grill and jackson's shooting, but they're frosh and trying to figure it out fast.

our "experienced' post guys in jacobson and young clog things up on offense and haven't been close to making up for it with D or rebounding.

conditt runs the court and blocks shots but is soft rebounding and gets lost on D 50% of the time.

bolton is going to be really good, but he's off to a slow start (his play was the biggest positive from bahamas imho).

the more physical teams in the b12 (KU, TX, WVU, Baylor, KSU, Tech) are going to POUND on us if we don't make some big strides.

I like Prohm and over time his recruiting is going to pay off for us, but its not like he's an intense rebouding/D kind of coach. and our after TO and out of bounds plays are still horrendous. I thought both Mich and Seton Hall outcoached us pretty handily in the second halves.

we had 10 extra practices and lost both of our scrimmages to very average b10 teams. I'm a bit more cautious on the rest of the season for sure. would love to be wrong and cheer for an over achieving team!

Michigan out coached everyone in the second half of their games. I really like Howard, and am looking forward to watching his growth as a coach. I think they had a big run to start every second half in the tournament. If we cut that run in half we probably win, but they are great at protecting a lead.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If Jacobson continues to struggle would not be surprised if Conditt takes his spot. Regardless we need to find more minutes for him because he's really been good so far this season and is a much needed rim protector that will allow our guards to take more chances on the perimeter defensively.

The thing I wish this team would do from a game strategy standpoint is quit jacking up so many 3 pointers early and establish a post game and dribble drive offense that attacks the rim. That's when this offense is at its best right now and if you establish an inside game it will open things up for better shots on the perimeter if they defense has to defend the paint more. We have the bigs and athletes to be more aggressive in the paint so don't understand why we are settling for long jumpers early in the shot clock. If we don't start knocking down 3's more consistently the scouting report is going to be sag off us and let us have those shots until we prove we can hit them with any kind of consistency.

CySanka3

Jan 15, 2014
Chicago
TH
Bolton
Nixon
Zion (MJ sub)
Conditt (Solo Sub)

Jackson/Grill sub for the 3 guards. I think part of the problem with our bench production/Zion is they play scared; a missed shot and Steve relegates them back to the bench to be lost for most of the 2nd half. Got to let some guys find some rhythm but hard to do with 4 minutes a night. We frequently cut back on subs in the second half and get gassed late.

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA
Solo and Conditt rarely play together which doesn't make sense to me because Conditt is a true 5 and Solo is a true 4. It seems like a no-brainer to pair them up.

My hot take is that Tre starts in front of Nixon by B12 play. We need a shooter in our starting lineup if this team is going to make the tourney. Jackson hasn't been great behind the arc but his potential far outweighs Nixon's. Tre just so happens to play great defense too. This is not a knock on Nixon btw, I think he has been solid but at some point Prohm needs to roll the dice a bit.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
TH
Bolton
Nixon
Zion (MJ sub)
Conditt (Solo Sub)

Jackson/Grill sub for the 3 guards. I think part of the problem with our bench production/Zion is they play scared; a missed shot and Steve relegates them back to the bench to be lost for most of the 2nd half. Got to let some guys find some rhythm but hard to do with 4 minutes a night. We frequently cut back on subs in the second half and get gassed late.
That is pretty much the lineup anyways with the exception of Jacobson getting more PT with no reasoning behind it since he isn’t a good enough shooter to be a real threat and not athletic enough to get his own shot or cause problems with driving the lane. Pairing solo and conditt would actually shake things up. With conditt and solo on the floor one of them will definitely get a mismatch. The strength this year is our front court but we are playing like it’s our back court I think eventually prohm will go with conditt and solo. MJ is irrelevant since they are trying to use him like a stretch which he just doesn’t have the tools for.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Michigan out coached everyone in the second half of their games. I really like Howard, and am looking forward to watching his growth as a coach. I think they had a big run to start every second half in the tournament. If we cut that run in half we probably win, but they are great at protecting a lead.
Agree on Howard.
I didn't realize until the camera panned their bench that they hired Phil Martelli to be an ass't coach. That was a brilliant decision.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
after we brick some threes in the b12 this season I can already hear Fran Fraschilla saying his usual "ahhh....you're open for a reason!"

• Funny
Reactions: quasistellar