Lineup going forward

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I am surprised to see everyone wanting to see Grill off the bench before Jackson. Grill has tools but you can tell with Zion and him that the game is still moving pretty fast. Jackson looks comfortable out there and guards his butt off. He will finish the season shooting better than 35% from 3 you can book that. His misses are all so soft off the rim that means he is getting great rotation.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Jacobson works hard but he really didn't take a step forward this year which is unfortunate. I wouldn't mind seeing some 4 guard lineups with Conditt to push the pace and get some easy buckets

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
If Jacobson keeps playing the way he is, yes.

I commented early in the Alabama game how much more aggressive MJ was. Thought he was good in several ways, not just looking at stats. Seton Hall game not so. BUT...opponent had a lot to do with that I’m guessing.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
All of our players need to box out better. Conditt had a personal 4 point swing when he stood there and let a guy go right by him for a put back then through the inbounds pass out of bounds. We have enough size to rebound but we need to have more effort boxing out.

Agree that Conditt needs to be a much better rebounder. And as the rim runner, he seems to get gassed sooner which prob effects his rebounding.

Reactions: kingcy

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Pretty much agree with all of this. Though I’m not sure how much Jacobson has regressed vs he padded his stats against mid majors and then was really inconsistent in Big 12 play. 15/8 one game and 6/4 the next. He’s always struggled offensively vs P5 bigs inside.

Completely agree with the Jacobson comments. This is how he was last season. He hasn't regressed. He's consistently struggled against P5 bigs.

isualums

Jan 9, 2018
I agree that conduit needs more minutes, but only if he posts up. Last night he posed up only a couple times. We do our best when we play inside out. We cannot play inside out when our post doesn't want the ball inside. This is coaching.

Everyone is complaining about rebounding. Conduit, haliburton, nixon do not screen out at all. Haliburton is terrible screening out. We were watching him last night. He was lucky to touch his guy 1/3 the time.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Who would you call a dependable "scorer" on this team? Halliburton obviously, and probably Bolton, but that's about it.

That's not enough IMO. We needed Zion to take much bigger step up, but he hasn't. Lewis has never developed into a contributor. I think Tre can become a "scorer" for us, but that will take time.

Our outside shooting has been terrible, but at least is showing some signs of life.

We need a lot more rebounding out of Solo IMO.

I do think people have been too hard on MJ on here though. He's basically averaging 8 pts and 8 rebs per game and is hitting 39% from 3. He's going up against guys that are always bigger than him too.

I also do like how this team has played.... they do try hard and hustle, etc. They don't block out like they should, which is total lack of effort, but outside of that I can't say they haven't given good effort.

I think the ceiling for this team is a double digit seed in the NCAA tourney, but probably more likely a good seed in the NIT IMO. We just don't have the talent and shooting necessary. And I'm not sure with what we will be losing, combined with what is coming in, if next year will be much better? We'll have nobody to replace Haliburton, and no real shooters coming in next year either. If you think teams are packing it in against us this year, wait until next year.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Artic Zone

Jul 12, 2017
Pretty much agree with all of this. Though I’m not sure how much Jacobson has regressed vs he padded his stats against mid majors and then was really inconsistent in Big 12 play. 15/8 one game and 6/4 the next. He’s always struggled offensively vs P5 bigs inside.

Completely agree with the Jacobson comments. This is how he was last season. He hasn't regressed. He's consistently struggled against P5 bigs.

Jacobson averaged 10.3 ppg and 5.4 rpg vs P5 opponents last year

this year hes averaging 7.0 ppg and 4.0 rpg

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Prohm hasn't and won't play Solo and Conditt together.
Weird. Since I could swear that a week or two ago he said in an interview that he hasn't practiced the two of them together, but would think about it.

Maybe I was remembering two different names, Conditt and someone else?

Tyler_CyMBA

Jul 28, 2016
Jacobson and Young seem too redundant in terms of skill and size (both good players tho, not a knock). Nothing seems glaringly obvious that one is better than the other at. I'd like to see Conditt start at the 5 with either Jacobson/Solo starting at the 4 and the other coming off the bench as the 5 to spell Conditt.

Still not entirely sold on Nixon yet either though he played better these last 2 games.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: isucy86 and brycy

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Jacobson averaged 10.3 ppg and 5.4 rpg vs P5 opponents last year

this year hes averaging 7.0 ppg and 4.0 rpg

Last year he did struggle vs physical teams. This season each P5 team ISU has played has been physical.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Nice to see we have all these experts available at Prohms disposal. FYI if you used the word needs, you're considering yourself an expert.

The only thing I see that "needs" to happen is our nine players need to play enough preconference to determine what truly is our best rotation. Hopefully Haliburton makes the cut.
Message board gem of a post right here... :rolleyes:

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I'm sure the coaching staff has many of the same observations/debate that we have on here:

they need nixon's defense but he forces it and takes bad shots.

we need grill and jackson's shooting, but they're frosh and trying to figure it out fast.

our "experienced' post guys in jacobson and young clog things up on offense and haven't been close to making up for it with D or rebounding.

conditt runs the court and blocks shots but is soft rebounding and gets lost on D 50% of the time.

bolton is going to be really good, but he's off to a slow start (his play was the biggest positive from bahamas imho).

the more physical teams in the b12 (KU, TX, WVU, Baylor, KSU, Tech) are going to POUND on us if we don't make some big strides.

I like Prohm and over time his recruiting is going to pay off for us, but its not like he's an intense rebouding/D kind of coach. and our after TO and out of bounds plays are still horrendous. I thought both Mich and Seton Hall outcoached us pretty handily in the second halves.

we had 10 extra practices and lost both of our scrimmages to very average b10 teams. I'm a bit more cautious on the rest of the season for sure. would love to be wrong and cheer for an over achieving team!

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Jacobson and Young are both big bodies that take up space on defense, both are marginal on offense. Jacobson can make an outside shot, but it is not something you want to depend on consistently, and Young has improved in this area too. Both are pretty marginal finishing in the post, which is really disappointing, because they have gotten a lot of good looks. At this point those guy at least know where they are suppose to be, which is more than I can say about George C. Kid could be really good when he figures a few things out.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
And we seem to get shoved underneath or have two or three players clustered 3 feet from the basket. By that point box-out is largely ineffective. Opponent just has to reach over or tip from behind.

Boxing out effectively should keep us from being shoved underneath.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
What happened to him though?

I think it’s mostly the position change. That 5 spot seems to be a pretty productive position in Prohm’s offense, but now he’s spacing the floor more and not getting nearly as many easy buckets. Guys like Burton, Talen, and Georges flourished at the four because they could create more off the dribble but Jacobsen and Griffin are more just floor spacers at this point, and not very high level ones. Having Talen back to play that spot would be huge.