*****LEATH VEISHEA PRESSER LIVE STREAM*****

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Leath himself would never cancel VEISHEA, it will be a lot of people at work besides him. If there are more riots this weekend, I could see it getting a nice 5 year hiatus, as it should if that happens.

Yep. As he said in the presser, he and his aide were the last to speak at their round-table about this earlier this morning, and everyone else was also in agreement that this year needed to be cancelled.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
What event did he allow? This was the result of off-campus partying. You will have off-campus parties, VEISHEA or not.

If we disbanded everything that has ever threatened someone's life, the list of approved activities would be short. You think someone has ever gotten hurt while tailgating drunk? Should we end football because of it? Because that's exactly what this is.

I know my rant means nothing, but I'm amazed at the response on this site. Or maybe I shouldn't, because this site is made up of the same kind of fun-hating ******* that shun personal responsibility (I highly doubt that the person who got hit by the pole was an innocent bystander). This attempt to shelter and protect everyone by the powers that be is short sighted and misguided. I accept that I'm on the fringe with this.

Oh for ****'s sake Al, people aren't some sort of fun-hating bogeyman out to get poor innocent college drinkers just because they don't wear every time they were too tailgate wasted to remember a football game like a badge of honor. Get off it.

Reactions: Angie

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Why punish the kids and students who did nothing wrong? Because ultimately they are the first ones responsible for stopping their peers from being idiots. I am guessing 70 % of the people in that mob last night didn't condone a lot of what was going on, but at the same time they didn't do anything to stop it.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It is one of the largest mediums for connecting Alumni to the University. There are externalities to losing that. Ones that Leath likely cannot internalize or have to deal with due to his brief time as a member of the Iowa State community.

I'm sure if it goes on hiatus you'll see an increase in year round events to open up the campus to alumni, without giving every party house in Ames the exact same target date to throw their rager.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
I will say as an Iowa State alum and Ames native, that cancelling VEISHEA permanently should never happen. It is a proud tradition of the town and the university both. Those of you calling to end it period cannot see the forest past the trees. Far more good and positive has occurred than all of the riots combined.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Why punish the kids and students who did nothing wrong? Because ultimately they are the first ones responsible for stopping their peers from being idiots. I am guessing 70 % of the people in that mob last night didn't condone a lot of what was going on, but at the same time they didn't do anything to stop it.

Why stop it or even just leave the scene when you there are sweet pics and videos to take for likes and retweets? (man, I'm getting old, still stand by what I've said previously on this)

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I will say, after sitting here and thinking about it, don't know if it was the way to go.

I think the tipping point was the hospitalization of a student, which makes perfect sense and I agree with. But this to me shows the riots are stronger than the university. Pretty embarrassing as a whole. Can't imagine a lot of alumni will be happy. I am not, but I also understand that safety is the biggest concern here.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I will say as an Iowa State alum and Ames native, that cancelling VEISHEA permanently should never happen. It is a proud tradition of the town and the university both. Those of you calling to end it period cannot see the forest past the trees. Far more good and positive has occurred than all of the riots combined.

I wonder if it would help at all if they just scaled it back to one day. Most of the campus showcase stuff could all be done on Saturday.

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
If VEISHEA is cancelled, what is to stop it from becoming something similar to 'Unofficial' like they do at University of Illinois? Then you have only the negative partying and none of the great community events. I'm not saying it will happen but that would be cutting your nose off to spite your own face, if you ask me.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I won't be boo-hooing for the Alumni or community either, especially when Homecoming is as pathetic as it is, something that BY NAME is designed to bring alumni back

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
IMO, VEISHEA will never be permanently cancelled because of the money involved. It's a big investment to the University and to local business. Besides, someone would just come up with another student festival.......a very watered-down student festival, that will just be referred to as VEISHEA II. I don't want that.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It is one of the largest mediums for connecting Alumni to the University. There are externalities to losing that. Ones that Leath likely cannot internalize or have to deal with due to his brief time as a member of the Iowa State community.

Exactly.

I'm not saying that ending Veishea will end Iowa State, but it is something great and unique about our University, that few other universities can claim. Once a decade misbehavior by a handful of individuals is no reason to ruin this for the entire population. Punish the individuals responsible to the greatest extent you can, and leave the majority alone.

To me, this is just more indication of the excessively paternalistic nature of our society. When so many people support ending this event because one person was injured or "it looks bad" to whomever is judging, it's easy to see how we end up with a government that invades our bedrooms, legislates our bodies, and prevents individuals from truly failing at the cost of the responsible. Apparently, this type of intervention is what the majority of Americans want, and this board falls in line with that.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009

This sums it up.
And they elected to stay there instead of leaving. IF they left, it'd be easy for the cops to arrest these hooligans. And a lot of fanatics here agree that by staying there, you are indirectly complicit to their actions

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Maybe move Veishea earlier in the year. Warm veishea's seem to always be more out of control than colder veishea's.

Last edited:

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I won't be boo-hooing for the Alumni or community either, especially when Homecoming is as pathetic as it is, something that BY NAME is designed to bring alumni back

Traditionally, yes. But no other schools have a VEISHEA either. It's almost a substitute. Don't know why Homecoming needs to be brought up.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
There is a lot on here about punishing the wrong people. That is probably somewhat true, but if you look at the videos, it is only a very small percentage of the people who seem to be actually doing the damage. Most of the rest are standing around watching. If you do not want to participate, then that probably means you are not a moron, and you know that the behavior was wrong, so why not step up and try and stop it? The number who were not participating far out-number those who were, so why not put a stop to it? Try and act like decent human beings.

As far as cancelling VEISHEA hurting the University.....of course it does. It is an event that is a major recruiting tool for the University and its departments. It is also a showcase that allows alums to come back to the campus annually, which can have an effect on alumni contributions. Now, both of these can be overcome in other ways, but VEISHEA was a unique, annual event. It was an event that ISU and especially the students could be proud of, in that one of its major attributes was that it was the largest student-run celebration at any university in the country. To say cancelling it will not be noticed or felt by the University is ridiculous.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Oh for ****'s sake Al, people aren't some sort of fun-hating bogeyman out to get poor innocent college drinkers just because they don't wear every time they were too tailgate wasted to remember a football game like a badge of honor. Get off it.

You're missing the point.

Ending Veishea because of rare (but regular) misbehavior by a handful of individuals is incredibly short sighted. The tailgating analogy was to illustrate the fact that people get drunk and hurt themselves, or others, during other University sanctioned events, yet we don't blame those events for those negative behaviors.

Veishea DOES bring a party atmosphere. But it's not responsible for the misdeeds of a few, and it has brought far more good than bad over the years, and will continue to be that way. Even if someone gets hurt occasionally.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
What event did he allow? This was the result of off-campus partying. You will have off-campus parties, VEISHEA or not.

If we disbanded everything that has ever threatened someone's life, the list of approved activities would be short. You think someone has ever gotten hurt while tailgating drunk? Should we end football because of it? Because that's exactly what this is.

I know my rant means nothing, but I'm amazed at the response on this site. Or maybe I shouldn't, because this site is made up of the same kind of fun-hating ******* that shun personal responsibility (I highly doubt that the person who got hit by the pole was an innocent bystander). This attempt to shelter and protect everyone by the powers that be is short sighted and misguided. I accept that I'm on the fringe with this.

I agree with this part. No innocent bystander should have been close enough to a large mob to get hit by a falling pole. A responsible person would remove them self from that situation. Not saying that it's not unfortunate that the kid got hurt because it could have been a very bad deal, but I just find it hard to believe that he's just somebody walking down the street and gets hit in the head by a pole.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Exactly.

I'm not saying that ending Veishea will end Iowa State, but it is something great and unique about our University, that few other universities can claim. Once a decade misbehavior by a handful of individuals is no reason to ruin this for the entire population. Punish the individuals responsible to the greatest extent you can, and leave the majority alone.

To me, this is just more indication of the excessively paternalistic nature of our society. When so many people support ending this event because one person was injured or "it looks bad" to whomever is judging, it's easy to see how we end up with a government that invades our bedrooms, legislates our bodies, and prevents individuals from truly failing at the cost of the responsible. Apparently, this type of intervention is what the majority of Americans want, and this board falls in line with that.

There's a difference between "support ending this event" and thinking that ending it or a long hiatus needs to at least be on the table if the university and the student's don't have any other ideas for preventing this sort of thing. I'm not sitting here saying "about time they cancelled VEISHEA", but I 'm not going to crucify Leath over this decision either. Your a lawyer, so you tell me, but even without much a legal leg to stand couldn't this kid's parents make things ugly for the university if they just sit back and say "not our problem"?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I agree with this part. No innocent bystander should have been close enough to a large mob to get hit by a falling pole. A responsible person would remove them self from that situation. Not saying that it's not unfortunate that the kid got hurt because it could have been a very bad deal, but I just find it hard to believe that he's just somebody walking down the street and gets hit in the head by a pole.

Four words: Assumption of the risk

Not that the person deserved it, but odds are you aren't that far into the middle of a riot on accident. You made a choice to be there, and when property is being purposefully destroyed, the odds of being injured increase significantly.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron