*****LEATH VEISHEA PRESSER LIVE STREAM*****

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Expel students caught rioting. Charge out of towners.

Pretty simple.

If Leath ends Veishea, **** him. **** him right in the ***. This is a great celebration for the University and 1 riot every 10 years doesn't change a lick of that. Ending Veishea will hurt Iowa State University far more than a once-decade-riot.

This is now a black-eye for the University that should be suspended indefinitely. I think Universities that don't have Veisha celebrations make out ok. ISU will be no different.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I don't think students will riot again this week. The ramifications of it and getting caught won't be worth it. And I can only assume a **** ton of parents contacted their kids and said 'if you get caught, you're on your own with the consequences'. that alone would keep me away from that area no question.

Well.. that. And the near occupying force of police, sheriff, state troopers, etc and so on that will certainly be out and about.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
We'll see, but I bet you're wrong. People are stupid, but I don't think they are that stupid.

1. Not near as many out-of-towners are going to come to Ames.

wut? how many people that are coming to party are thinking, 'well shucks, no parade, guess I will stay home?'

2. This is in the public eye right now, and they know if they riot and get caught on tape they will be punished. Whether or not they are caught at the time.

um, have you ever been around a drunk college kid?

3. I would like to think there are enough level headed students to tell the few who want to go tear **** up to cool it. This whole event makes the University look horrible. Anymore of it will only make things worse. Even college kids should understand that.

too bad they were not around last night

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

Pretty simple.

If Leath ends Veishea, **** him. **** him right in the ***. This is a great celebration for the University and 1 riot every 10 years doesn't change a lick of that. Ending Veishea will hurt Iowa State University far more than a once-decade-riot.

Did they not have video and arrest people in '04? Legitimately asking because by time I got to campus the whole thing was treated as a ******* joke. I don't like that it might go away, but I understand because in what sane world does a public education institution continue to endorse an event that results in a riot every 10 years? Clearly whatever they've been doing for the past decade isn't working all that well, and nobody seems to have any great preventative ideas. By all means we should punish the people involved this year. Will it do a damn thing about that kid enrolling in 2020? I mean, 18-21 year olds are well known for their ability to learn lessons from history.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The only way to bring something like this back is to craft some new tradition with the same original goal.
Since the name of VEISHEA became synonymous with the rioting and excessive drinking, the substitute probably would as well with students and others making some kind of stupid and worthless statement against the decision. At that point, VEISHEA II is the same worthless magnet for trouble.

Cut the tie. End the whole thing. People couldn't handle a nice thing, so it goes away. Life goes on.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
There weren't any riots from '05-'13. So to say that students are incapable of behaving themselves is stupid.

College students, and especially at ISU, like to party. Why the hell can't people just accept that fact of life and move on?

Don't know. Maybe because a student about died? Just a guess.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
After a few video and pictures head to the police and students start getting arrested and kicked out of school, reality will set in for a few of them

I think some prompt arrests would probably have a better chance of stopping more trouble this week than cancelling everything, because the parties and drinking will probably still happen anyway. Understand why he had to do it though in the event that something else happens this week.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Pretty simple.

The effect on the University of ending VIESHEA will likely not even be noticed. Time for you to take the tiara off...

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
the problem with that is those that caused the problem don't give a **** about the parade......

Exactly. And they need to understand that choices they make affect more than just themselves.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I think after hearing about the whole mess this morning, those students who were involved last night realize what they did was stupid.

Unfortunately - I don't think people who generally behave in the manner we saw last night ever "realize" much....

st8cydr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I work in the financial services industry. I didn't cause the collapse in 2008, but I can guarantee you that I am (and you will be as an innocent consumer) dealing on a daily basis with the consequences from overreaction and overregulation. Welcome to the real world.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
The seriousness of what happened last night is going to set in very quickly. That's why I don't think there will be any further major incidents. Sure some people will still throw parties. That much is obvious. However, I would be very surprised if we hear about additional rioting.

We'll see who's hunch was correct within the next few days.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Leath himself would never cancel VEISHEA, it will be a lot of people at work besides him. If there are more riots this weekend, I could see it getting a nice 5 year hiatus, as it should if that happens.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
There weren't any riots from '05-'13. So to say that students are incapable of behaving themselves is stupid.

College students, and especially at ISU, like to party. Why the hell can't people just accept that fact of life and move on?

I forgot that Ames turns into the town from Footloose when it's not VEISHEA week. Of course college kids party. But there's only one week a year that seems to have a history of having enough big parties and out-of-town visitors to generate these sorts of incidents. And maybe there weren't full blown riots for the past few years, but it's not like you didn't hear stories about close call incidents during that stretch either.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Lol so expel the students and only charge the out-of-towners? Or charge the students as well as expel them?

Sooner or later I have a feeling you'll come to the conclusion that your little rant means nothing. President Leath has got to put the safety of his students and the community first. By allowing these events to continue he would have lost a hell of a lot more respect compared to what he gained by canceling it. I'm sure it was not an easy decision, but it's the decision he had to make whether you agree with it or not. Even students were involved in this decision, and he said himself that there was very little support in the decision-making group to continue the VEISHEA activities this week.

You need to gain some perspective.

What event did he allow? This was the result of off-campus partying. You will have off-campus parties, VEISHEA or not.

If we disbanded everything that has ever threatened someone's life, the list of approved activities would be short. You think someone has ever gotten hurt while tailgating drunk? Should we end football because of it? Because that's exactly what this is.

I know my rant means nothing, but I'm amazed at the response on this site. Or maybe I shouldn't, because this site is made up of the same kind of fun-hating ******* that shun personal responsibility (I highly doubt that the person who got hit by the pole was an innocent bystander). This attempt to shelter and protect everyone by the powers that be is short sighted and misguided. I accept that I'm on the fringe with this.

Reactions: mj4cy

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
The effect on the University of ending VIESHEA will likely not even be noticed. Time for you to take the tiara off...
It is one of the largest mediums for connecting Alumni to the University. There are externalities to losing that. Ones that Leath likely cannot internalize or have to deal with due to his brief time as a member of the Iowa State community.