*****LEATH VEISHEA PRESSER LIVE STREAM*****

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
The wheels of the party bus for the week had already been set in motion. Those parties were going to happen either way. However, what would cancelling VEISHEA for next year do while still having all events continue this year? It would **** off everyone even more into an entire **** it mode and tell themselves "well, it's already gone, so why not go out with a bang?" and the powder keg would really explode. If he says everything continues this week, a decision will be made about future VEISHEAs after this week? Nothing else happens this week, and if he says the incident Tuesday night triggered next year's cancellation? Everyone gets ****** with cries of "but we behaved after things were already went south!" and "That isn't fair!" If nothing gets cancelled either now or in the future? We continue with the same connection of VEISHEA = ticking time bomb and someone could instigate a riot if someone decides to start something. If he does what he did? We get into the arguments we have right now about it. There was no win at all for him no matter what decision gets made. People are going to be ****** no matter what and question whatever decision gets made.

The public perception of VEISHEA as a week long party where things are expected to get crazy is already there. That is the aspect that needs to change, and it won't change until something is done to spark people into wanting to change that mentality.
I don't really disagree with what your options result in. The one thing though is with what we are actually doing I don't see it decreasing any likelihood of riots but can definitely see it still possibly adding to riots.

I think keeping this year with added measures to decrease riots and then evaluating the future is best. One important thing to remember is that the school is now going to lose a bunch of money. Yeah if you end up canceling it totally it might **** people off but it is afterwards not before most of it.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
I don't really disagree with what your options result in. The one thing though is with what we are actually doing I don't see it decreasing any likelihood of riots but can definitely see it still possibly adding to riots.

I think keeping this year with added measures to decrease riots and then evaluating the future is best. One important thing to remember is that the school is now going to lose a bunch of money. Yeah if you end up canceling it totally it might **** people off but it is afterwards not before most of it.
I have a feeling it may be just a decision for how long to suspend VEISHEA at this point. Not doing anything about Tuesday just sends off an aura that the event wasn't too big of a deal.
Doing something shows that behavior around VEISHEA needs to change a bit, which is the point.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Hard to have a huge impact this year, this week is still VEISHEA whether it's cancelled or not, I think not doing anything sends the wrong message though. To fix VEISHEA they'll have to completely change the perception that VEISHEA is a week to get drunk and be stupid, that'll take some time for sure, if it's possible at all.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I have a feeling it may be just a decision for how long to suspend VEISHEA at this point. Not doing anything about Tuesday just sends off an aura that the event wasn't too big of a deal.
Doing something shows that behavior around VEISHEA needs to change a bit, which is the point.
I think stepping up police, and have a new policy of some sort that if it happens again then there is going to be some sort of ban on gathering past say 7 P.M. or something.

Most people had already realized what happened Tuesday was bad. I don't think the canceling of VEISHEA had or will have anything to do with no more riots. That would have been the case anyway.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I think stepping up police, and have a new policy of some sort that if it happens again then there is going to be some sort of ban on gathering past say 7 P.M. or something.

Most people had already realized what happened Tuesday was bad. I don't think the canceling of VEISHEA had or will have anything to do with no more riots. That would have been the case anyway.

The problem are people and general perception to gather and be stupid...unfortunately VEISHEA has been that catalyst. Think, the folks who rioted for two nights in the 80s have kids here now...and the "tradition" factor is part of it, unfortunately.

I agree, step up enforcement...but then the "it's the fault of the police" crowd feel the need to blame them, etc. if there were a true calibration, the city could pass code that COULD shut things down...a weekend policy that fines a property of having more than 20 people? $10,000 fine or something crazy. Fence off campus town and require IF to get in and have 1,000 high def vid cameras to capture all action for easy follow up, etc.

To me, the problem are there will always be people who will justify why it's ok to break the law, toss beer cans at authorities, litter, etc. bottom line, some people are just selfish and also don't think. The group we saw acting stupid, I promise you many of them have friends in their fraternity/sorority that lost their events this week they planned (or their own groups they are connected with)....but are they having dialogue about how what they did is the cause of this loss or privelage? Or are they shifting blame. In the future, will people hold each other accountable?

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
The problem are people and general perception to gather and be stupid...unfortunately VEISHEA has been that catalyst. Think, the folks who rioted for two nights in the 80s have kids here now...and the "tradition" factor is part of it, unfortunately.

I agree, step up enforcement...but then the "it's the fault of the police" crowd feel the need to blame them, etc. if there were a true calibration, the city could pass code that COULD shut things down...a weekend policy that fines a property of having more than 20 people? $10,000 fine or something crazy. Fence off campus town and require IF to get in and have 1,000 high def vid cameras to capture all action for easy follow up, etc.

To me, the problem are there will always be people who will justify why it's ok to break the law, toss beer cans at authorities, litter, etc. bottom line, some people are just selfish and also don't think. The group we saw acting stupid, I promise you many of them have friends in their fraternity/sorority that lost their events this week they planned (or their own groups they are connected with)....but are they having dialogue about how what they did is the cause of this loss or privelage? Or are they shifting blame. In the future, will people hold each other accountable?

To me, the problem are there will always be people who will justify why it's ok to break the law, toss beer cans at authorities, litter, etc. bottom line, some people are just selfish and also don't think. The group we saw acting stupid, I promise you many of them have friends in their fraternity/sorority that lost their events this week they planned (or their own groups they are connected with)....but are they having dialogue about how what they did is the cause of this loss or privelage? Or are they shifting blame. In the future, will people hold each other accountable?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking this myself. What happened after 911? A restriction of liberties - increased airport security, patriot act, email & phone surveillance, etc.. The city issues licenses to bars. Cops can check bars and stores for underage sales and drinking - especially those that don't cooperate during Veishea. No outdoor bands. There could be a city law - no one after midnight on Welch during Veishea. Vagrancy, Jay walking, public intox, noise violations. Classes could schedule mid-terms or quizzes that week. Video surveillance. Have a $100 reward for anyone providing video evidence of a crime.

I don't care much for Leath. I think he is a bookworm/bureaucrat/control freak who has probably never worn a team uniform in his life. Seems he wants to drain the human spirit and create a drone mentality. Punishing the kids, families, and alumni is really stupid. Cancelling this year because we were unprepared might be justifiable, but there are about 100 things that can be done going forward.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
From the OWH yesterday...

koterba20140410.jpg&maxw=500&maxh=375

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
No, cancelling Veishea diminished the party scene on Welch greatly. It needed to be done. No need for more private and public property damage and people dying.
Around 9 or so I would have agreed with you. By midnight, however, Campustown was packed.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
http://www.kcci.com/news/veishea-parties-continue-despite-events-cancellation/25426322[/QUOTE]

ISU senior Caitlin Higgins said she believes students will retaliate.
“Everybody’s kind of really mad at it,â€￾ she said. “Like, I know a student got injured and I know it was really crazy, but I think a lot of people are going to take this the wrong way and since they already know VEISHEA’s cancelled, they don’t really have anything to lose anymore.â€￾

WRONG - I think this is something people need to realize: they can lose big. If they are that stupid, they need to be expelled from the University. Don't forget to also add criminal charges and restitution for the damages these people cause. Time to get tough. Stop the stupidity

Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/veishea-parties-continue-despite-events-cancellation/25426322#ixzz2yaHgg4L1

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
The years VEISHEA have been an issue had really nice weather (after being stuck indoors after winter.) I think they ought to move VEISHEA to March where the weather is colder and less people will be hanging outside to cause problems.

The problem with that is it kills a lot of the non-party aspects of VEISHEA as well. I was there for the '08 VEISHEA when it was ridiculously cold and there were noticeably fewer alumni and community members who showed up for the parade or weekend events on campus. And the further you try to push it back into March, the more you're going to lose interest to potential basketball tourney runs.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

“Everybody’s kind of really mad at it,” she said. “Like, I know a student got injured and I know it was really crazy, but I think a lot of people are going to take this the wrong way and since they already know VEISHEA’s cancelled, they don’t really have anything to lose anymore.”

WRONG - I think this is something people need to realize: they can lose big. If they are that stupid, they need to be expelled from the University. Don't forget to also add criminal charges and restitution for the damages these people cause. Time to get tough. Stop the stupidity

Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/veishea-parties-continue-despite-events-cancellation/25426322#ixzz2yaHgg4L1
[/QUOTE]

I thought it was encouraging to read about some of the unofficial events popping up in the absence of VEISHEA this week. My gut tells me if things go well the rest of this week Leath will announce a 1 or 2-year hiatus and see what develops in VEISHEA's absence. If students can prove there's an interest in holding non-party/entertainment events that showcase their clubs/colleges in the spring, I think the university will work with them to see the full event return in a way that doesn't cause issues.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The biggest issue is the culture that has developed around VEISHEA that "enjoys" the drunken craziness that can easily tip over into riotous acts. I'm afraid that will be very hard to change.

However, it shouldn't be too hard to prevent the riotous acts. Those nearby have to step up and stop folks when they go too far. Make a VEISHEA pact that says you will join with others to stop anyone who is trying to tip a car, knock over a light pole, break a shop window, throw a beer can/bottle, etc. If we had policed ourselves and kept a few people from crossing these lines, everything else would still be in place for VEISHEA.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
awd4cy said:
No, cancelling Veishea diminished the party scene on Welch greatly. It needed to be done. No need for more private and public property damage and people dying.

Yeah, that was a horrendous prediction.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
“Everybody’s kind of really mad at it,â€￾ she said. “Like, I know a student got injured and I know it was really crazy, but I think a lot of people are going to take this the wrong way and since they already know VEISHEA’s cancelled,they don’t really have anything to lose anymore.â€￾

Not sure which is worse this girl's verbal choices (senior in college and her words are like a dumb blonde valley girl) or that fact that she thinks what happened isn't a big deal. SMH

Help Support Us

Become a patron