JTS Improvements - Want More

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I love Jack Trice! I have a ton of great memories. But...I gotta say it, I hate the press box. I just don't like the look.
Yep, having been to quite a few Power 5 schools stadium ours just looks so rinky-dink/2nd rate. I get though that spending a ton of money to fix it up might not be high on the list for something used very few times a year by not a lot of people.

Now if you could expand it and sell a lot more suites/club/loge seats then it is something I think they should do. Just don't know if the demand is there for that much upper level high priced seating yet.

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Yep, having been to quite a few Power 5 schools stadium ours just looks so rinky-dink/2nd rate. I get though that spending a ton of money to fix it up might not be high on the list for something used very few times a year by not a lot of people.

Now if you could expand it and sell a lot more suites/club/loge seats then it is something I think they should do. Just don't know if the demand is there for that much upper level priced seating yet.
There's demand for an expanded Jack Trice Club and I would bet that will be the next major upgrade to JTS. Wouldn't be surprised to see the entire east side JTS Club.

• Agree
Reactions: quadmann

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
I’m glad I’m not the only person dreaming of expanding the NEZ board that way. I thought I was just being greedy.
I’ve been greedy for a bigger NEZ board before they finished building it. I remember watching it being built and thinking that thing is gonna be ginormous! Then I watched them attach the led panels and I’m like you forgot the ends. And then I go to a game and half of screen is stats and ads! :confused:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If they do put a cover on it, the southeast corner of it will not be covered with dirt. Notice how high up the south tunnel wall is where it attaches to the retaining wall.

Your points both seem valid, but I’ll ask.

If they do put dirt over a concrete tunnel roof, how much soil does the sod/turf need to be and remain stable? Three inches? Six inches? A foot?

As an aside, I remember that when the Des Moines Central Library was built, a big deal was made about the “green” advantages of having a grass roof.

Last I looked from the upper floor stairwell of the adjacent Temple Theater, that hadn’t aged well—with a good portion of the roof bare. Of course, that was several years ago.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

If ISU had all of the current JTS premium seating concentrated in one area -- like SO many other venues do -- it would run the length of the field and be at least three levels high (maybe four). Then this tired "but it looks so small" argument wouldn't exist.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I’ve been greedy for a bigger NEZ board before they finished building it. I remember watching it being built and thinking that thing is gonna be ginormous! Then I watched them attach the led panels and I’m like you forgot the ends. And then I go to a game and half of screen is stats and ads! :confused:

Do you disapprove of departmental revenue and having audio at games?

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Or if they pour a concrete guardrail on top of those walls like what’s on top of the retaining wall, those rebar would be the attachment point.

If they do put a cover on it, the southeast corner of it will not be covered with dirt. Notice how high up the south tunnel wall is where it attaches to the retaining wall.
I still believe that the lid will be placed and then the retaining wall will be formed and poured to fill in the full retaining wall look all the way down. Then there will be fill dirt to cover the lid and blend into the rest of the hillside.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
If ISU had all of the current JTS premium seating concentrated in one area -- like SO many other venues do -- it would run the length of the field and be at least three levels high (maybe four). Then this tired "but it looks so small" argument wouldn't exist.
The argument about if you combined the premium seating is the tired argument. The press box isn't proportional to the stadium and looks bad. Whether it is worthwhile or we have the demand to redo it is up for debate. Based on my understanding we continue to have more demand for certain club type seating even with what we have. I don't think it is an immediate need by any means, but it isn't out of the question like some pretend either.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The argument about if you combined the premium seating is the tired argument. The press box isn't proportional to the stadium and looks bad. Whether it is worthwhile or we have the demand to redo it is up for debate. Based on my understanding we continue to have more demand for certain club type seating even with what we have. I don't think it is an immediate need by any means, but it isn't out of the question like some pretend either.

Basing an argument on an apples vs. oranges comparison is a ridiculous starting point.

"We need a bigger press box."
Why?

"Because School X has a bigger press box."
Of course they do, because all of their stuff is in one place.

"Our press box is too small."
Well, it is cramped for many of the people that use it now, but those people don't pay the bills.

"But it looks bad."
Aesthetics alone aren't worth a $50+ million price tag.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
The way it was built, it should be able to be ecpanded

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Basing an argument on an apples vs. oranges comparison is a ridiculous starting point.

"We need a bigger press box."
Why?

"Because School X has a bigger press box."
Of course they do, because all of their stuff is in one place.

"Our press box is too small."
Well, it is cramped for many of the people that use it now, but those people don't pay the bills.

"But it looks bad."
Aesthetics alone aren't worth a $50+ million price tag.
Again where it fits in the priority is one thing. Saying we definitely don't need a new one is dumb. Say as part of his divorce Bill Gates donates $50 million are you going to say no?

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
I still believe that the lid will be placed and then the retaining wall will be formed and poured to fill in the full retaining wall look all the way down. Then there will be fill dirt to cover the lid and blend into the rest of the hillside.
You could be right. I looked at the retaining wall again and there are places where the thicker part of the wall comes pretty close to the top of the concrete guard rail. Either way, we should know in a few days when they start putting in forms for either guard rails or a cover.

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
Your points both seem valid, but I’ll ask.

If they do put dirt over a concrete tunnel roof, how much soil does the sod/turf need to be and remain stable? Three inches? Six inches? A foot?

As an aside, I remember that when the Des Moines Central Library was built, a big deal was made about the “green” advantages of having a grass roof.

Last I looked from the upper floor stairwell of the adjacent Temple Theater, that hadn’t aged well—with a good portion of the roof bare. Of course, that was several years ago.
I did a quick search on green roofs and it looks like around 6 inches for plain soil. Looking at the old tunnel entrances with google street level view, they appear to have about a foot of soil over them. I think 6 inch minimum with all the foot traffic.

Looking at the webcam again, the image quality is so poor that its hard to tell for sure who's right. We should know in a couple of days when they start setting the forms, either for guard rails or a cover..

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
Do you disapprove of departmental revenue and having audio at games?
If they expanded the screen to cover the IState andB12 logos, they would have more real estate for ads and a larger area for video. And they could put the speakers in the side supports. And my post was supposed to be slightly sarcastic, but you probably knew that. :)

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone and nrg4isu

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Again where it fits in the priority is one thing. Saying we definitely don't need a new one is dumb. Say as part of his divorce Bill Gates donates $50 million are you going to say no?

I didn't say a new one wasn't necessary. It would certainly be useful for, and welcomed by, a variety of groups. I just don't think it's necessary right now. There's a whole bunch of stuff at Hilton that needs to be explored first, IMO, both back of house and front of house.

Additionally, "because the press box looks bad/small" isn't a valid reason to bring in the backhoes -- especially not for how much it'd cost. Yet, that's the primary argument of many people on this board.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The way it was built, it should be able to be ecpanded

The concession/restroom buildings were in a different place then. The concourse expansion and concession relocation has fouled up the alignment.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Is there any rendering of what the new west side of the stadium will look like with expanded practice fields and parking along the stadium fencing (where the trees were removed) for 2022?