JTS Improvements - Want More

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
we could become the IOWA STATE CENTER, Berkshire Hathaway Wind Energy Complex; if we go big and include the new entertainment area. Need some big windmills and batteries to run it all. EE and Materials Engineers need to get on it. :jimlad:

Last edited:

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
I'm going to get soap-boxy.

Calling somebody a racist, when you don't even think they are, is about as low as you can go. It minimizes a word that should mean something. I'm not defending KF but casually calling people racists lets real racists off the hook.
Completely joking. I was trying to make the point we should move in the bleachers at midfield and I hate Iowa. That was my lame attempt at making a point about what's happening currently on the internet.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Completely joking. I was trying to make the point we should move in the bleachers at midfield and I hate Iowa. That was my lame attempt at making a point about what's happening currently on the internet.
No worries! Like I said, I got soap-boxy. Not really my style but some things trigger me. Carry on with the hate!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
My thoughts on the press box are that it needs to be wider and not as tall. Maybe 1/3 the height but stretching the length of the field. But, there are issues with doing this. First, the press box is down the list of priorities obviously after Hilton and the new parking and P&L area. Second, the concession/restroom buildings are in the way (they are dumb if they didn't put in footings for a new press box when they built). Third, a lot of our suites are between the levels and those in the tower I wonder if there's much added value moving lower, but away from the 50 yard line. Fourth, I wonder if our demand for luxury type seating is maxed out...between the SEZ, Jack Trice Club and the suites in between levels and the tower. You're not really adding suites, just moving them, so the opportunity to increase revenue with a project like this isn't really great.

That said, I really hope they do this project in the next 10 years. Just aesthetically, the current press box looks bad.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Is there any rendering of what the new west side of the stadium will look like with expanded practice fields and parking along the stadium fencing (where the trees were removed) for 2022?
Did they hopefully get rid of the natural prairie that looked like it didn't belong.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
It also seems like a huge proposition to expand the existing box.

The existing box appears to be supported by two 'legs'. I doubt they engineered that to a level you could just go wider and hang more weight off that. So you'd need more structure to support more press box. But the concession stands\restrooms are in the way of that.

It appears to me any project to increase the size of the press box then becomes a project to redo the concessions\restrooms (there are certainly merits to this as well). It might even be easier to tear down the existing box and put up something entirely new. But when you start looking at everything it looks like it'd get super expensive in a hurry.
That press box was built like a 40 story high rise. Overbuilt by design. Would cost more to tear it down Than putting it up originally.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
My thoughts on the press box are that it needs to be wider and not as tall. Maybe 1/3 the height but stretching the length of the field. But, there are issues with doing this. First, the press box is down the list of priorities obviously after Hilton and the new parking and P&L area. Second, the concession/restroom buildings are in the way (they are dumb if they didn't put in footings for a new press box when they built). Third, a lot of our suites are between the levels and those in the tower I wonder if there's much added value moving lower, but away from the 50 yard line. Fourth, I wonder if our demand for luxury type seating is maxed out...between the SEZ, Jack Trice Club and the suites in between levels and the tower. You're not really adding suites, just moving them, so the opportunity to increase revenue with a project like this isn't really great.

That said, I really hope they do this project in the next 10 years. Just aesthetically, the current press box looks bad.

I'd want suites added and not just moved. The number of suites we have compared to schools with much smaller fanbases (K-State, Okla State) than we have is somewhat concerning, but is definitely something that can grow if we keep winning football games.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
I think a couple people have mentioned they are expanding the practice field......but does anyone know exactly what is happening? The field looks pretty land locked.

1620227119433.png

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
It looked like the big crane was about to unload/install the precast panels for the outside walkway, but the webcam just froze up at 9:44 am. :(

Edit: the camera unfroze at 10:10 and I think the semi had the last of the styrofoam blocks, not precast panels.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia

Keeping the same square footage and weight, there is technology which can be used (composite engineering) which could fulfill your desire. But, again, it's down the pecking order.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
I think a couple people have mentioned they are expanding the practice field......but does anyone know exactly what is happening? The field looks pretty land locked.

View attachment 84935
I've wondered the same thing.. I assume they want to have two fields to practice on.. Similar to our little brother to the east
Maybe they are going to redesign west stadium entrance, as in remove it; otherwise I agree that there does not seem to be space. :oops: I used to like using it but once they broke ground for SPC, it hasn't been accessible from the north, don't know about south!

Give them room for a large beer garden at the current top of the steps location!!

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

View attachment 84935

"WORK WILL INCLUDE, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO: REGRADING TO ALLOW EXPANSION OF EXISTING TURF AND PRACTICE FIELD, RELOCATION OF IRRIGATION LINES, RELOCATION OF FENCING AND SODDING OF THE FIELD."

I believe the "expansion" will be around the perimeter of the current surface.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Maybe they are going to redesign west stadium entrance, as in remove it; otherwise I agree that there does not seem to be space. :oops: I used to like using it but once they broke ground for SPC, it hasn't been accessible from the north, don't know about south!
After some careful calculations using satellite view and my naked eye, there would be enough space to fit 2 full fields side by side. You would have to move the current field over next to those bushes/trees and remove the West entrance/steps to fit the other field. Not sure they want to bottleneck that entire side though.

Another option would be to squeeze in 2 fields set end to end, without endzones in the middle. The current field is 180 yards long, counting the endzones. It looks like you could extend another 10 yards in each direction. That would be 200 yards without endzones. They could probably squeeze in 20 more yards bumping up closer to the indoor facility and closer to S1 lot. That would give you 2 full fields with one endzone at each end, the middle of the field would be 0 yard line.

Not even sure how realistic either of those options are, but if you wanted a really tight squeeze, it looks possible to fit 2 fields there.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I've wondered the same thing.. I assume they want to have two fields to practice on.. Similar to our little brother to the east

The current area is 180 yards long, so it wouldn't take much to get to "two fields."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron