JTS Improvements - Want More

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Was there ever a thought of putting a tunnel under University? Unless they want more exposure as you come down University. Just like the players going down the tunnel when they come out on the field. Don’t think it would cost $10mil but if they have donors paying for a walkway, then go for it.

Last edited:

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
Was there ever a thought of putting a tunnel under University? Unless they want more exposure as you come down University. Just like the players going down the tunnel when they come out on the field. Don’t think it would cost $5 mil but if they have donors paying for a walkway, then go for it.
I’m sure they looked into it, but the big concern would be that building a tunnel in a floodplain could potentially cause some issues.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Was there ever a thought of putting a tunnel under University? Unless they want more exposure as you come down University. Just like the players going down the tunnel when they come out on the field. Don’t think it would cost $10mil but if they have donors paying for a walkway, then go for it.

This is more serving as a gateway to campus. Think of it that way first and foremost

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
It would be a major safety issue not counting water.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
If anyone knows someone who works at FP&M. Can you ask them to move the camera so we can watch the crews tear down the Olsen Building

If you watch long enough you'll see it pans to the right for about ten seconds and will then move back. But, yes, please put it permanently back on the demolition!

Edit: watch at the 09:50:50 mark through 09:51:30 mark and you'll see what I mean. At 09:50:53 it pans right, and at 09:51.03 it pans back left.

Last edited:

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
If you watch long enough you'll see it pans to the right for about ten seconds and will then move back. But, yes, please put it permanently back on the demolition!

Edit: watch at the 09:50:50 mark through 09:51:30 mark and you'll see what I mean. At 09:50:53 it pans right, and at 09:51.03 it pans back left.
Love the camera.... but the mere 10 seconds of video is annoying AF. Fix it already!

Reactions: TXCyclones

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Interesting to see them doing the demolition starting at the back working toward the front.

I'm an idiot. Of course it was smart of them to begin demolition of the Olsen building at the back, since they need to begin work on the North side of the Jacobson building. By razing it from the back they opened up space to begin concurrent work.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm an idiot. Of course it was smart of them to begin demolition of the Olsen building at the back, since they need to begin work on the North side of the Jacobson building. By razing it from the back they opened up space to begin concurrent work.
I’m guessing that they also did it that way for cosmetic and perception reasons. From the street, to passing cars, the front of the building is a facade that hides the destruction.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I haven't been to Ames since 2019. Drove up this morning and I nearly crashed my car driving by the stadium.. The performance center is MASSIVE. The webcam doesn't do it justice. I'd recommend any fan looking for something to do. Go drive to Ames and check it out. It's incredible.

Really cool to see the Olsen Building gutted to the frame. From the road, you can see a lot

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Never really paid attention to the north end of the Jacobson building. It is rather "plain" compared to the south end that you see from inside the stadium. It will be interesting to see what they do to spice it up for the new pavilion.

1613879818701.png

P.S. This is a stock photo, not a current photo, but it is the only one that I could find that showed the peak of the north end of the Jacobson Building.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Never really paid attention to the north end of the Jacobson building. It is rather "plain" compared to the south end that you see from inside the stadium. It will be interesting to see what they do to spice it up for the new pavilion.

View attachment 82082

P.S. This is a stock photo, not a current photo, but it is the only one that I could find that showed the peak of the north end of the Jacobson Building.
Boy. Talk about leveraging the size of the press box. In this pic it looks massive, but in reality it's pin sized compared to other juggernauts out there.