Jamison Patton Commits

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If true, don't you think it would have been worth a shot to get him qualified and enrolled especially a kid from Clinton? I mean, it's not like PR had a great program loaded with talent when this occurred. Worked for Mac and Troy Davis (and I realize this is hindsight, but dang...).
He wasn't some can't miss athlete. If I understand correctly, UNI was his only offer - FBS or FCS. He was a good high school running back but nobody - except maybe David and his mom - envisioned him as an NFL back.

Last edited:

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
He wasn't some can't miss athlete. If I understand correctly, UNI was his only offer - FBS or FCS. He was a good high school running back but nobody - except maybe David and his mom envisioned him as an NFL back.

Penning was similar. No FBS offers. I believe UNI, Western Ill, and SD were his only offers... 247 ranks 23 players in the state of Iowa in 2017. Penning is not listed.

Some guys just don't get noticed in HS and develop in College.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Saw Patton and Kohl yesterday. Both certainly look the part. Their high school coach said Patton is just one of the nicest kids you’ll ever meet.

Reactions: nrg4isu and Aclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He was a can't miss athlete and the fact that neither Iowa nor ISU were heavy on his recruitment is an absolute embarrassment. And the whole grade thing is also not true.. That must have been a retroactive lie to try to save some face. He was a 3.0 student according to his UNI bio.

We're talking about a guy in these teams' own backyard who was a two-way superstar in football, a second-team all conference basketball player, and a state/drake relay caliber track athlete. Not to mention he was an athletic freak in terms of weightlifting/physical measurables. If he went to a school besides Clinton High School, perhaps the recruiters would have given him a chance.

I know your post is 2 weeks old, but the lack of respect he got will never not baffle me. IIRC, Iowa had some residual animosity about a former CHS recruit that may have chilled them on him. As far as ISU goes, it was just pure incompetence at every level.
When I pull up his recruiting profiles I find both 247 and ESPN list UNI as his only offer and Rivals list Illinois State as well. If he was a can't miss athlete how come not just Iowa and Iowa State missed on him but every single FBS and FCS program except UNI (and possibly Illinois State) missed on him?

I don't care where you are from, if you are a "can't miss athlete" someone - more than one or two FCS schools - will find you.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Look at his profile though.. it was all schools within the region that even gave him a look. If a player plays at a school with a lack of resources and pedigree and also aren't the type of player who can go to a ton of camps (that was the case here), then it shouldn't be a surprise that he remained a secret. This was 2010 and recruiting has changed so much in the 12 years since in terms of social media, youtube, hudl, etc.. I think you may be vastly underrating this shift.

Wisconsin had legitimate interest but my guess is they probably held off on offering after getting Montee Ball in the previous class and James White in the same class.

I'm from Clinton. I'm telling you that ISU just completely screwed the pooch in this case. Iowa at least had the excuse of having a failed recruit from Clinton from the preceding class. It's fine. It would never happen with this staff. It's just another reminder of how far the program has come. Go watch his high school highlight tape on Youtube. It was never a shock for people who watched him play that he became what he did. And yes, I obviously have an extremely biased point of view on this..
Dan Roushar is from Clinton. He was coaching at Michigan State at the time. Please feel free to tell me that if David Johnson was a “can’t miss” DI recruit, he wouldn’t have either heard about him or offered him.

Otherwise, also feel free to stop with the revisionist history.

Reactions: VeloClone

ilaybrix

Apr 28, 2022
Jed Smith the secret sauce at UNI. Farley picks up the pieces left behind by the Big10/12 schools. Johnson and Penning are two exceptional talents who fell to UNI for different reasons. I know Trevor personally and the big schools passed on him because he had a slim chance of qualifying academically. There was no doubt about his frame or his physical ability, and everyone who evaluated him saw him as a special talent at left offensive tackle. His talent plus five years in Jed Smith's strength program, along with being in the FCS incubator versus the grind of power 5 football are the reasons Trevor ended up where he is today. He could have very easily been lost in the shuffle at Iowa State or Iowa.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Dan Roushar is from Clinton. He was coaching at Michigan State at the time. Please feel free to tell me that if David Johnson was a “can’t miss” DI recruit, he wouldn’t have either heard about him or offered him.

Otherwise, also feel free to stop with the revisionist history.
Shocker

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I feel that I have to have to explain this to you, in very careful terms.

I’m not telling anyone what to do. I am a literalist. When I say something like “feel free”, or finish with a “please”, I mean that.

Do you know why? Well, apparently not.

You see, I understand that I can’t tell anyone what to do. Not least—or especially—on a message board that I neither own nor am a moderator for.

Further, 99% of the people out there understand that exact same thing.

Except for you.

You decide that I’m actually attempting to tell people what to do.

I assume this is a result of some negative personal experience somewhere long in your past. Perhaps someone pulling some kind of passive/aggressive schtick.

I understand that. I can empathize. Similarly, I have an issue with people saying that I said something that I didn’t, or twisting my words into something else—based on something that happened years ago.

I hope the explanation helps with your misapprehensions.

And I’m removing the emoticon. Best wishes.

Help Support Us

Become a patron