ISU Gambling Megathread

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I am not condoning what Dekker's did but his attorney is correct, this is a matter for Iowa State and the NCAA. Under Iowa Code there is no law preventing him from placing the bets, the Iowa Code is specific to the gambling entity that they have to have controls in place to prevent such a thing from happening, but not the individual gambler themselves. I've posted the Iowa Code a few times in one of these threads.

Now the tampering with evidence is a no no, but can you really tamper with evidence of something that wasn't illegal?
No.1 The Story County attorney would not have filed the charges if he or she did not believe Dekkers broke the law. The Iowa DCI agent involved has experience with this and would not have referred the case to the county attorney to file
No. 2. In order to get the search warrant, a judge would have to agree with the affiant (either the DCI officer or county attorney) that there was probable cause a law was broken. That is a high bar that Dekker’s attorney conveniently leaves out. Doesn’t mean Hunter is guilty. But obviously a judge feels a law likely was broken.
I don’t think Dekker’s Attorney helped Dekkers in any way. Very poorly written.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
It sounds like a lot more nefarious in the court filing than it does when you describe what likely happened- my read of it is simply that he logged in with her account on his phone to place bets. Still stupid, of course, but not exactly a massive conspiracy
Just curious, when he logs into her account from a different phone than hers, does she get notification (like many apps) that a different phone has logged in to her account

• Informative
Reactions: CRcyclone6

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I really curious what Dekker's defense will be based on his lawyer pretty much saying he did it but didn't break any laws...

You can't fire me! I resign! This is the first thing in this whole ****** up mess that made me laugh.

"So he can focus on his studies and on the defense of this criminal charge, Hunter has informed the University and the coaching staff that he cannot participate in fall football camp."

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
You can't fire me! I resign! This is the first thing in this whole ****** up mess that made me laugh.

"So he can focus on his studies and on the defense of this criminal charge, Hunter has informed the University and the coaching staff that he cannot participate in fall football camp."
Agree totally. Same reaction I had.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I think we should send similar notes.
It's not gambling for me. I'm just too busy for fall camp this year.

• Funny
Reactions: t-noah

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
Just curious, when he logs into her account from a different phone than hers, does she get notification (like many apps) that a different phone has logged in to her account
No, but the Geo-Location is very accurate and would tip off Draftkings or (FanDuel) that the same account was logged in and out at different locations in short periods of time.

Very easy to track and to find irregularities.

FanDuel is associated with Diamond Jo.

Hmmm

Just sayin

Edit: some apps send an email for every log in.

• Informative
Reactions: Kinch

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
So Dekker’s defense is “you can’t convict me because I come from a tiny town?” Good luck telling that to a jury in Story County.

Help Support Us

Become a patron