• Meh.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 14 7.1%

• Total voters

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Making my first trip with kids 6 and 3 what do I need to know.

There are lots of fun, free things to do at the fair. There is a stage with kid-friendly performances if the will sit to watch. Right by the same area is a big playground--we have stopped there the past few years to let the kids run around and play. On the north side of the fair is Little Hands on the Farm where they get to do activities like pretend to do lots of farm activities. At the end they get to pick a treat from the supermarket. Just a little south of there is a building full of baby animals. Depending on timing, you often get to see newly born animals and may even catch a live birth. That building is usually pretty busy, but my kids like it. We always take a quick trip through the animal barns.

In the Varied Industry building there are many booths that give out temporary tattoos. We only stop for the ISU ones. ;) There is a PBS booth there, most years we go Clifford the Big Red Dog is there so my kids have pictures with him.

We tend to stay away from the rides. My kids get to do those at our county fair and this year they went to Adventureland.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
actually I went to the Minnesota State Fair several years ago to see a concert.. and those guys take there Fair pretty seriously.

I agree. I grew up going to the ISF every year and even lived/worked there in HS through 4-H. Love our fair, but the MN State Fair is also very good. We lived there for 7 years and went every year. I know people may disagree, but the food is even better at the MN fair--more variety/unique food choices.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
There are lots of fun, free things to do at the fair. There is a stage with kid-friendly performances if the will sit to watch. Right by the same area is a big playground--we have stopped there the past few years to let the kids run around and play. On the north side of the fair is Little Hands on the Farm where they get to do activities like pretend to do lots of farm activities. At the end they get to pick a treat from the supermarket. Just a little south of there is a building full of baby animals. Depending on timing, you often get to see newly born animals and may even catch a live birth. That building is usually pretty busy, but my kids like it. We always take a quick trip through the animal barns.

In the Varied Industry building there are many booths that give out temporary tattoos. We only stop for the ISU ones. ;) There is a PBS booth there, most years we go Clifford the Big Red Dog is there so my kids have pictures with him.

We tend to stay away from the rides. My kids get to do those at our county fair and this year they went to Adventureland.

Yea my cousin works for IPTV and she will be working there. So we will have to stop and see her.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I agree. I grew up going to the ISF every year and even lived/worked there in HS through 4-H. Love our fair, but the MN State Fair is also very good. We lived there for 7 years and went every year. I know people may disagree, but the food is even better at the MN fair--more variety/unique food choices.
I agree - I would rank Minnesota State Fair #1, Iowa State Fair #2. But I love going to the Iowa State Fair.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I go about once every 5 years or so. Just to remind myself why I don't go the other four years.

Crowded. Hot. Expensive. Rude people who will knock over a child to get where they are going. Obese people who will knock over a child to get another funnel cake. Old people who drive their scooters wherever they please, including over your foot. Smells of BBQ and manure all together. Carnies.

Whats to like?

Last edited:
Reactions: cycloner29

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
My family has been camping and exhibiting livestock at the South Dakota State Fair for 44 strait years. The Iowa State Fair blows our fair out of the water with crowds and everything except that I enjoy the smaller feel of the SD State Fair.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
The thing I don't understand is how people can go for an entire week and still find it fun on day 4 or 5.

I'm playing trumpet at the fair twice, and my girlfriend is singing one day, that makes those days fun and interesting. I like to look at almost all the exhibits, to do that takes a day or two. I enjoy watching the Bill Riley Talent Search, that goes on everyday. All the free stages have varied and fun acts. Then there is eating, drinking and people watching. I always go to the ISU booth to buy the latest gear. Every night there is a different contest of some sort going on in the Pavilion or the new Jacobsen Center. So I think the key to enjoying multiple days is to slow down and try to take it all in.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I can take or leave it. When I go, I like to look at the animals, and usually make a trip thru Snakes Alive. I like to ride the skylift and look at people. Pricey though. I haven't been there since the "Get Whitey Night" fair.

ISUcy08

Dec 22, 2008
Love it! Heading up tonight for the weekend. My family has had the same camping spot since the 70's. if you haven't ridden on the tractor that takes you through the campgrounds get a hand stamp and take the 20 min loop. If anything it lets you sit for awhile. Some of you would be shocked if you have never been up there.

Last edited:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I go about once every 5 years or so. Just to remind myself why I don't go the other four years.

Crowded. Hot. Expensive. Rude people who will knock over a child to get where they are going. Obese people who will knock over a child to get another funnel cake. Old people who drive their scooters wherever they please, including over your foot. Smells of BBQ and manure all together. Carnies.

Whats to like?

Nailed it.

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown
I like it. Usually I go for a day unless I'm going to a concert on the grandstand, which I haven't done for five years.
I can usually see everything I want to see in that day. Anything more than that is overkill.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I haven't been in a while either. Usually if there's a concert I am interested in I might make a day of it.

My brother and I went as a 3-day excursion/vacation in about 1975 and camped for 3 nights. By the end of it we were both pretty bored and that was our first time there.

I voted "Meh". Great for the state and especially for the city of DSM, but I'm also personally not much of a crowd person.

dustin1991

Jul 17, 2013
i Love the Fair I try to make it there at least twice a year and stay in the camp grounds some of my friends that have campers out there it is a blast. It is also a great place to people watch