INSIDER: Quick analysis on Rayjon Tucker

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
Shayok didnt even get an invite to the NBA combine so being "the man" really did nothing for him. DeSousa got invited to the G League combine and didnt even play last season. Then he felt the invite was so low-value that he declined it and chose to do individual workouts with teams instead.

Self has stated repeatedly this offseason that he really wants to get back to the quicker, more athletic shooting team he took to the Final Four two years ago with the bulk of the reps run with 4 guards who can shoot around Dok. It was the only season that Dok played the full year and KU made the Final Four.

He doesn't want to make the switch back to his old 2 bigs high-low offense as his primary sets. He has stated as much publicly already.

Someone is salty they were wrong about Shayok.

Last edited:

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Just for some context using the Barttorvik points above replacement statistic...

All games last year
---
4.8 = Shayok
4.4 = Haliburton
4.0 = Tucker
3.5 = Wigginton
2.9 = Weiler-Babb
2.3 = Horton-Tucker

Against top 100 teams
---
5.0 = Shayok
4.7 = Tucker***
4.1 = Haliburton
3.4 = Wigginton
2.9 = Weiler-Babb
2.6 = Horton-Tucker

***teams from the Top 100 that he played...

36 = Nevada
55 = Memphis
92 = Georgia Southern

He had 21 with an OTR of 120 against Nevada.
He had 29 with an OTR of 151 against Memphis
He had 21 with an OTR of 135 against Georgia Southern.

This guy can score in heaps and do it with relative efficiency.

He has not shown it at volume and night-after-night, but if these numbers are correct, he could at least be Wigginton, if not a slightly discounted Shayok.

Looking at the above, second-team or even first-team all-Big 12 is not out of the question.

Is there a way to see where someone like Joe Cremo or Randy Onwuasor scored at their previous schools compared to how they did at their final stops? I only ask because both those dudes but up huge numbers at their mid major schools and we’re relative busts at their high major final stop

Reactions: Halincandenza

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I would expect Dotson back and Udoka could have a monster year also sounds like RJ Hampton is a KU lean, he could as well
Dotson is a pass-first point guard and Dok will never play enough minutes to lead KU in scoring. Tucker could easily fill that role as could Hampton.

• Creative
Reactions: CTTB78

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Who? Did I make some sort of prediction about Shayok? He had an excellent year.
I am just saying that putting Shayok's G League combine invite out there as an example of what playing in ISU's offensive system can do for you is pretty lame. Grimes stunk last year and got invited to the NBA combine along with Dotson and Lawson.

• Funny
Reactions: MartinCy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I cut out the stuff where he said last year's team was the deepest and most talented team in Bill Self's career just to get to the Shayok stuff

I swear this is not an attempt to troll. What are you basing "Marial Shayok is a stud" on? All I can see is that in 3 seasons at VA, he never averaged double figures and never started even half if his games in a season. I mean, I know it is exciting when a plaher chooses your tesm as their destination but is there any reason outside of "because he chose us" to think he's so great?
Genuinely curious since I only saw Virginia play a half dozen times or do last year and Shayok never stood out as even memorable, let alone a stud.

Expecting Shayok to come in at or near first team All Big 12 based on faulty stat projections is a recipe for disappointment.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I am just saying that putting Shayok's G League combine invite out there as an example of what playing in ISU's offensive system can do for you is pretty lame. Grimes stunk last year and got invited to the NBA combine along with Dotson and Lawson.

Dotson being a 5 star recruit had nothing to do with his combine invite. Lol you are clueless. Look at THT and what ISU can do for someone who wasn't even a top 50 recruit

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
What did coming to KU do for Cheick Diallo and Cliff Alexander? Go ahead and add De Sousa to that list. That worked out well for them. They went from being sure fire lottery picks to no names real fast.
There are examples of any point you want to make out there if you look for them.

And those guys were only going to be lottery picks if the OAD rule didnt exist and they didnt get exposed by a year in college as raw (Diallo) and mentally limited (Alexander). They are prime examples of why the OAD rule exists, to reduce the number of guys like that who NBA teams waste a 1st round pick on.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

The argument isn't if coming to ISU got Shayok an invite or not rather a blue print of the accolades Prohm would sell Tucker he could get at ISU taking his role. Also Shayok wouldn't even have gotten a G-League invite without his time at ISU.

In one year Shayok went from an UVA 6th man to:

AP All-American Honorable Mention (19)
All-Big 12 First Team (19)
Big 12 All-Newcomer Team (19)
Big 12 Tournament Most Outstanding Player (19)
Big 12 All-Tournament Team (19)
Julius Erving Award Finalist (19)
Basketball Times All-District (19)
USBWA All-District VI (19)
NABC All-District 8 (19)
Big 12 Player of the Week (Jan. 17)
Naismith Trophy Midseason 30 Team (19)

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
If we land this guy and Lewis makes a big jump along with Conditt IV showing he's as good as he's hyped up to be, this is a top 25 team that can challenge Kansas.

CHOO CHOO! I'll catch the next train... I'd like to see ALL these new guys on the same court for the first time FIRST before boarding.

That said, love watching teams come together regardless of the record at year's end...

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
The argument isn't if coming to ISU got Shayok an invite or not rather a blue print of the accolades Prohm would sell Tucker he could get at ISU taking his role.

In one year Shayok went from an UVA 6th man to:

AP All-American Honorable Mention (19)
All-Big 12 First Team (19)
Big 12 All-Newcomer Team (19)
Big 12 Tournament Most Outstanding Player (19)
Big 12 All-Tournament Team (19)
Julius Erving Award Finalist (19)
Basketball Times All-District (19)
USBWA All-District VI (19)
NABC All-District 8 (19)
Big 12 Player of the Week (Jan. 17)
Naismith Trophy Midseason 30 Team (19)
And you seriously do not believe that those accolades could be accomplished if he went to Kansas? Come on.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Dotson is not pass first. Do you even watch your team?
Yes. He just didnt have any players who could hit shots after he passed to them last year. He isn't going to be an 18 ppg player, he is too reluctant to shoot his three and hits it at too low a percentage.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Got to think that Shayock's career path and success here has to resonate with players like Tucker even with teams like Auburn and KU in the mix.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
And you seriously do not believe that those accolades could be accomplished if he went to Kansas? Come on.
Probably wouldn't. Kansas doesn't give players the offensive freedom Iowa State does. Also, Dotson got the combine invite because he is young and was a highly rated recruit. If Shayok was two years younger, he's 24, he would probably gotten invited. Combines are about potential and Dotson still has a ton of space to grow compared to Shayok. If you're coming to an ISU board, please take off your Jayhawk tinted glasses.

• Agree
Reactions: seattleCy

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Yes. He just didnt have any players who could hit shots after he passed to them last year. He isn't going to be an 18 ppg player, he is too reluctant to shoot his three and hits it at too low a percentage.

So if there are no other players who can hit shots on your roster all the focus will be on Tucker??? I thought that was your original argument he was going to be wide open and the defense couldnt focus on him. Which is it?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Is there a way to see where someone like Joe Cremo or Randy Onwuasor scored at their previous schools compared to how they did at their final stops? I only ask because both those dudes but up huge numbers at their mid major schools and we’re relative busts at their high major final stop

No problem -- here you go.

OVERALL // AGAINST TOP 100 (sample size)

CREMO
---
2.5 // 1.9 (1) @ Albany
3.6 // 2.1 (4) @ Albany
4.4 // 2.6 (2) @ Albany
0.7 // 0.4 (28) @ Villanova

ONWUASOR
-0.1 // -0.5 (22) @ Texas Tech
-0.3 // -1.1 (17) @ Texas Tech
3.8 // 5.6 (2) @ Southern Utah
0.9 // 1.9 (23) @ Louisiana State

Tucker was more consistent against higher competition than either of them, though all of the examples have relatively limited sample sizes against competitive teams.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron