INSIDER: Quick analysis on Rayjon Tucker

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
We could be in the tournament without him. Give me a better example of how good he is.
I mean he looks like a potential first team big 12 player to me. Granted he's playing against not great competition, but his numbers speak for themselves, and his shot and athleticism is not lacking at all.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
I think if ISU could get him in he would probably be around 15 a game.

RT-15
MJ-12
TH-12
PN-12
GC-8
SY-6
TJ-4
ZG-4
TL-3
ML-3

When Prohm gets down to about 8 guys
It will probably be
RT-15
MJ-13
TH-12
PN-12
GC-8
SY-7
Other guard taking the lead (TJ, TL, or ML) - 6
ZG-5

• Dislike
Reactions: Cyforce

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Prohm can legitimately say to him that he leads the team in scoring next season.

Self will probably say it nonetheless, though.

Who else is going to lead Kansas in scoring? Azubuike and is 12 point career average? Lawson will be NBA right? Vick was a senior. Dotson maybe, but he's also going to the NBA combine, so he might be gone. Agbaji looked pretty good, but he's not the go to guy over Tucker. Marcus Garrett isn't going to lead them in scoring.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Who else is going to lead Kansas in scoring? Azubuike and is 12 point career average? Lawson will be NBA right? Vick was a senior. Dotson maybe, but he's also going to the NBA combine, so he might be gone. Agbaji looked pretty good, but he's not the go to guy over Tucker. Marcus Garrett isn't going to lead them in scoring.
I would expect Dotson back and Udoka could have a monster year also sounds like RJ Hampton is a KU lean, he could as well

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

Udoka, Dotson, De Sousa could potentially be back if he wins his appeal, Garrett, RJ Hampton, Agbaji, McCormack, Enaruna. That is their rotation next year.

If I had to guess De Sousa will not be back and Self is planning to run 4 guards 1 post again. Which makes Tucker important for them.

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
We could be in the tournament without him. Give me a better example of how good he is.

I mean besides watching a video of him playing basketball, we also have statistics. The statistics say he is a very good player (he even did well against the few tough teams he played against). Obviously if he came to the big 12 the competition would increase dramatically, but his responsibility would also be far less than at Little Rock.

Attachments

• tucker.png
    tucker.png
    35 KB · Views: 22

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
I mean besides watching a video of him playing basketball, we also have statistics. The statistics say he is a very good player (he even did well against the few tough teams he played against). Obviously if he came to the big 12 the competition would increase dramatically, but his responsibility would also be far less than at Little Rock.
Still trying to figure out while he was only averaging less than 7 pts a game at fgc

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Udoka, Dotson, De Sousa could potentially be back if he wins his appeal, Garrett, RJ Hampton, Agbaji, McCormack, Enaruna. That is their rotation next year.

If I had to guess De Sousa will not be back and Self is planning to run 4 guards 1 post again. Which makes Tucker important for them.

I don't think it is so much that Tucker won't have a major role on KU as much as the type of role he would need to play. With Self's current roster it looks to be more post dominated and in my opinion switching back to his favorite traditional style of 5 years ago. Doke pretty much demands a slower style of play and I expect both McCormack and De Sousa are playing.
Tucker would have to fit in, not be the clear cut #1 and past to the post spot up for 3 player instead of creating/driving to the rim.
At ISU he'd be the primary scorer and Prohm does a good job of opening the paint to unlock his drive/finish potential (ala Shayok). That would help raise his NBA stock and I assume that is a primary decision point for Rajon.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Lame, maybe, and perhaps that's how the post read, but I do have respect for Kansas basketball and their history. I also know that they are not the end all be all of Big 12 or NCAA basketball. Our recent success in the Big 12 Tournament coupled with this year's regular season results demonstrate they are human. Recruits are smart enough to realize this, imo.

Will Kansas continue to get great recruits, sure. But not all of them....and the gap is more narrow now than in recent history.

Just my take.
We've never gotten all of them. KU is usually in the final 5 for dozens of players so we miss far more than we hit. The gap in the level of talent looking at Kansas vs. the rest of the big 12 teams is no different post-FBI investigation than it was prior. We had a bunch of weird things all happen in the same year last year and dipped down to a #3 seed. The fact it was considered our worst year in a decade should frankly make more recruits come to KU. Self accomplished far more than he should have with the roster that finished the season.

Texas Tech's hot season has them on the radar of some elite players now. Texas had a similar bump after they made a Final Four in 03. We'll see if Tech can capitalize on it now that Beard has extended his contract and appears to be stable there for a few years.

Glad to see ISU is still recruiting at a stable level. The league is better off when ISU is a contender. KU and ISU have by far the two best fan bases in the Big 12 so ISU being good gets us talked about more. Bring it on!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Just for some context using the Barttorvik points above replacement statistic...

All games last year
---
4.8 = Shayok
4.4 = Haliburton
4.0 = Tucker
3.5 = Wigginton
2.9 = Weiler-Babb
2.3 = Horton-Tucker

Against top 100 teams
---
5.0 = Shayok
4.7 = Tucker***
4.1 = Haliburton
3.4 = Wigginton
2.9 = Weiler-Babb
2.6 = Horton-Tucker

***teams from the Top 100 that he played...

36 = Nevada
55 = Memphis
92 = Georgia Southern

He had 21 with an OTR of 120 against Nevada.
He had 29 with an OTR of 151 against Memphis
He had 21 with an OTR of 135 against Georgia Southern.

This guy can score in heaps and do it with relative efficiency.

He has not shown it at volume and night-after-night, but if these numbers are correct, he could at least be Wigginton, if not a slightly discounted Shayok.

Looking at the above, second-team or even first-team all-Big 12 is not out of the question.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
We had a bunch of weird things all happen in the same year last year and dipped down to a #3 seed. The fact it was considered our worst year in a decade should frankly make more recruits come to KU. Self accomplished far more than he should have with the roster that finished the season.

How does a 3 seed lose to a 5 seed in the second round?

Reactions: CyPunch

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I don't think it is so much that Tucker won't have a major role on KU as much as the type of role he would need to play. With Self's current roster it looks to be more post dominated and in my opinion switching back to his favorite traditional style of 5 years ago. Doke pretty much demands a slower style of play and I expect both McCormack and De Sousa are playing.
Tucker would have to fit in, not be the clear cut #1 and past to the post spot up for 3 player instead of creating/driving to the rim.
At ISU he'd be the primary scorer and Prohm does a good job of opening the paint to unlock his drive/finish potential (ala Shayok). That would help raise his NBA stock and I assume that is a primary decision point for Rajon.
Shayok didnt even get an invite to the NBA combine so being "the man" really did nothing for him. DeSousa got invited to the G League combine and didnt even play last season. Then he felt the invite was so low-value that he declined it and chose to do individual workouts with teams instead.

Self has stated repeatedly this offseason that he really wants to get back to the quicker, more athletic shooting team he took to the Final Four two years ago with the bulk of the reps run with 4 guards who can shoot around Dok. It was the only season that Dok played the full year and KU made the Final Four.

He doesn't want to make the switch back to his old 2 bigs high-low offense as his primary sets. He has stated as much publicly already.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Shayok didnt even get an invite to the NBA combine so being "the man" really did nothing for him. DeSousa got invited to the G League combine and didnt even play last season. Then he felt the invite was so low-value that he declined it and chose to do individual workouts with teams instead.

Self has stated repeatedly this offseason that he really wants to get back to the quicker, more athletic shooting team he took to the Final Four two years ago with the bulk of the reps run with 4 guards who can shoot around Dok. It was the only season that Dok played the full year and KU made the Final Four.

He doesn't want to make the switch back to his old 2 bigs high-low offense as his primary sets. He has stated as much publicly already.

If De Dousa comes back and you dont get Tucker you better believe KU is playing two true bigs at all times next year. Not too many teams in the country have the horses to go toe-to-toe with that kind of size for 40 minutes. Azubuike, De Sousa, McCormack and Lightfoot.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

What did coming to KU do for Cheick Diallo and Cliff Alexander? Go ahead and add De Sousa to that list. That worked out well for them. They went from being sure fire lottery picks to no names real fast.

Last edited:

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

Shayok is like 23 yrs old and is just a normal body type for nba...DeSousa has that potential factor..nba as you know draft mostly on what could be and not what is..

Shayok got a g leagu combine invite...Shayok went from avg like 8-9ppg to nearly 20ppg at isu..

Would be foolish to think RT wouldn’t thrive at isu given what we lost..