INSIDER: Quick analysis on Rayjon Tucker

IndyClone15

Jan 28, 2019
Metropolis
Bart Torvik has them as #41 nationally with this lineup...

View attachment 64233

Interesting how 2/3 of their top guys were once heavily involved with Iowa State.

Here is our lineup for next year (#53) for comparison...

View attachment 64234

Those are very low numbers for Leech, even if he is recovering from an injury. Let us not forget Leech was a 5-star before his injury.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Those are very low numbers for Leech, even if he is recovering from an injury. Let us not forget Leech was a 5-star before his injury.

The model assumes "you are what your ranking says you are." Right now, on 247, our incoming freshmen have the following composite ranks...

91.11% = Grill
89.32% = Jackson
89.18% = Anderson
87.64% = Leech

I am going to quote four paragraphs, somewhat out of order and context but most related to incoming freshmen. The whole article is worth reading.

http://adamcwisports.blogspot.com/2015/09/t-rank-2016-preview-nuts-and-bolts.html

Similarly, top 100 recruits are tracked and accounted for. The number one recruit has an effect similar to a returning all-American level player. But the effect tapers out pretty quickly. The idea here is that most of the effect of good recruiting is probably already reflected in the "program rating." At this point, we don't really need to know much about the specifics of Duke's recruiting class to know that they're going to be pretty good.

1) I tweaked the recruiting points to make them even more top heavy, but also discounted them less. What this means is that top 10ish recruits are more important, 10-20 about the same, below that less important.

T-Rank starts with a "program rating" of every school. This is based on the efficiency ratings of the last three seasons. Previously I used Kenpom historical efficiency data for this. Starting this year, this is pure in-house mojo, because I have the data. I went back and calculated the T-Rank power ratings for 2013 and 2014, and of course there are the 2015 ratings my mom loved so much in real time. The idea here is that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that teams that were good last year, and the year before, and the year before that, are probably going to be pretty good this year. Same thing with perennially crappy teams.

Leech's injury just killed his rankings, and they are never going to recover at this point. He just has to prove it in college. If you feel that he is going to be a significant contributor, on par with a Top 100 or Top 50 guy, though, then revise our numbers up.

I could completely see this as a starting line-up...

Haliburton
Nixon
Leech
Conditt/Young
Jacobson

...if Leech is healthy and back to his apex self.

Last edited:

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Yes, he would have. Some dude that played at Boise State went in the first round last year. I watch a ton of college hoops and I don't remember who he is. Yet some team saw enough of him to take him at #22.

The stars of the last round of the NBA Playoffs went to Lehigh, San Diego State, Weber State and Davidson. You don't need to be at an elite school to get seen by the NBA. They have scouts all over the country and DVRs recording every single game that is televised on any network.
Chandler Hutchinson

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Where's Zion?

Not sure -- but the lineup projections are obviously imperfect and constantly shifting.

I think many of us have Conditt as a starter next year, if only in pencil.

If he only plays 7.2 minutes per night, then I imagine all of us would be quite surprised.

Grill as the last starter is also a bold choice -- not a crazy one, but still a bold one.

Reactions: isutrevman

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I've seen some smoke on Twitter that Rayjon wasn't able to get the credits he needs to graduate transfer, that and it could be the reason he could stay in the draft.

We'll know soon enough but the rumors, even if unfounded, would have lead to a stressful summer for us Fanatic's on this board had he chosen ISU.

It would be rather funny if Tucker does stay in the draft and KU loses out on both guards.
(RJ is thought to be two horse race between KU and Memphis.)

@brauf33 If Rayjon Tucker indeed didn’t academically qualify to graduate and join Memphis, that’s a blow for the Tigers - but one they may be able to fill with RJ Hampton.

Tucker has also been testing draft waters and Hampton was reportedly waiting to see what would happen there

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I've seen some smoke on Twitter that Rayjon wasn't able to get the credits he needs to graduate transfer, that and it could be the reason he could stay in the draft.

We'll know soon enough but the rumors, even if unfounded, would have lead to a stressful summer for us Fanatic's on this board had he chosen ISU.

It would be rather funny if Tucker does stay in the draft and KU loses out on both guards.

@brauf33 If Rayjon Tucker indeed didn’t academically qualify to graduate and join Memphis, that’s a blow for the Tigers - but one they may be able to fill with RJ Hampton.

Tucker has also been testing draft waters and Hampton was reportedly waiting to see what would happen there

You would figure Tucker just might bail and stay in the draft, right, otherwise?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Looks like Hampton is deciding first week in June and may take a visit to KU on the 30th with Jalen Wilson.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Thank God they are cutting Green and not Niang

Niang gets about 10 min a game..avg around 5pts and 2 reb.. They don’t cut guys playing to make roster space...they cut guys who sit on end of bench..that 12/13th player..

Niang is 9/10th guy right now..He will stick in league for 10 years prob..

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman