Increased Enforcement Plan for Campustown

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I'd like to take this moment to thank my parents for not killing me due to the amount of parking tickets from '08.

Funny. APD must have had a good year in '08. That's also when I racked up all my tickets.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
or wanted to get some where on time
Or you have kids, or live in an area little-served by CyRide, or just want to make your own schedule.

these arguments could be used anywhere that isn't a suburban shopping mall parking lot. cities should be built for people, not cars. cities should not make everything based on your desire to park your car anywhere you want whenever you want. yes, it's convenient. yes, i want to do all of those things to (make my own schedule, etc), but the people with kids are not the ones parking around campustown on the weekends.

• Agree
Reactions: Tacoclone

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
these arguments could be used anywhere that isn't a suburban shopping mall parking lot. cities should be built for people, not cars. cities should not make everything based on your desire to park your car anywhere you want whenever you want. yes, it's convenient. yes, i want to do all of those things to (make my own schedule, etc), but the people with kids are not the ones parking around campustown on the weekends.

Because we are Iowans and want to go from our residence to right where we want to be when I want to be there.

• Agree
Reactions: jkclone

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I know from my experience that I trusted CyRide once to get me to football activities on time and it failed me. From that time on I never trusted or used CyRide again.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

But they're not and places the size of Ames don't need to be. Even if you sardine canned everyone in Ames, people would still need vehicles and somewhere to park them. Some people prefer breathing room between themselves and their neighbors.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
i must see things differently. i got an apartment in camnpustown specifically so i could walk to class and the stadium and the bars without needing a car. worked pretty well.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
But they're not and places the size of Ames don't need to be. Even if you sardine canned everyone in Ames, people would still need vehicles and somewhere to park them. Some people prefer breathing room between themselves and their neighbors.

again, we're not talking about the same thing. i am suggesting that it is possible to get around ames, as a student, without a car. you don't need a car in Ames and it's not the city or ISU's fault that you can't find the most convenient place to park anytime you want.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
We get it you think everything needs to be like a big city but that just isn't how Iowans want to live. I've advocated for more sustainable layouts like you but there are plenty who want a middle ground.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My brother was a Cyclone a long time ago, before Cy-Ride and when you still actually got your diploma on graduation day. His folder had a note that he would not receive his diploma until he paid his parking tickets. My dad was not pleased. Something along the lines of "all this education, quit acting like a dumbass."

Your dad was great.
Red-Forman-Meme-On-Why-Bad-Things-Happen-To-Eric-On-That-70s-Show_408x408.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
You don't need to put money in parking meters after 6:00 PM on Main Street. I went to Downtown Deli at 5:56 once and Main Street was absolutely packed with cars. Thought those 4 minutes would be fine. Came back and had a $15 ticket written at 5:58. I didn't even realize you could make tickets in 2 minutes.
You can normally fight those tickets pretty easily. The parking desk workers understand how much the parking enforcement people are dicks so they throw out many tickets that are within 5 mins of free parking.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
again, we're not talking about the same thing. i am suggesting that it is possible to get around ames, as a student, without a car. you don't need a car in Ames and it's not the city or ISU's fault that you can't find the most convenient place to park anytime you want.

Yes, it is possible but again, just because YOU never left campus or Ames, doesn't mean other students don't need to. There are a ton of people in the Ag college that I knew of that held jobs outside of town or went home on the weekends to help out.

I worked in Nevada and Gilbert during school. Yes, I needed my car and somewhere to park it. People need vehicles and somewhere to park them.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Where was your college job at? Mine wasn't on a Cyride route.

I went through four years at ISU without a car, and Cy-Ride was in it's infancy so the routes were not that extensive and the hours not very long. I walked to my graveyard shift at Perkins from the Towers. I'm sure it's better now, but it still doesn't go everywhere all the time.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
There are a ton of people in the Ag college that I knew of that held jobs outside of town or went home on the weekends to help out. I worked in Nevada and Gilbert during school. Yes, I needed my car and somewhere to park it. People need vehicles and somewhere to park them.

Campustown was built and developed before cars were commonplace for students. It makes zero sense to change the infrastructure of campustown to accommodate them. There is a reason people congregate there and not South Duff to hang out. There are also plenty of other places to park/live/eat/drink where there are parking lots. Campustown should not be held to today's parking standards and to reflect that they have strict parking enforcement. My entire argument is, if you want to hang around Campustown, arguing about parking tickets is silly. Go other places where there is ample parking.

• Agree
Reactions: Tacoclone

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
If they're going to increase enforcement at least update the friggin meters so I can pay with my phone or a credit card. Nobody carries change around

• Agree
Reactions: ForbinsAscynt

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
We get it you think everything needs to be like a big city but that just isn't how Iowans want to live. I've advocated for more sustainable layouts like you but there are plenty who want a middle ground.

We get it, you think Ames needs to be like small town Iowa, but that's not what Ames is. It's a higher density of people.

• Funny
Reactions: jkclone

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yes, it is possible but again, just because YOU never left campus or Ames, doesn't mean other students don't need to. There are a ton of people in the Ag college that I knew of that held jobs outside of town or went home on the weekends to help out.

I worked in Nevada and Gilbert during school. Yes, I needed my car and somewhere to park it. People need vehicles and somewhere to park them.

I worked in Nevada, Marshalltown, and Cedar Rapids, in addition to events around the Midwest. A car was a necessity.

MTown is moving the goalposts here, anyway, but in general, most people in Ames will need a car.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: JP4CY and AgronAlum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron