"In Loving Memory"

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Think about how many abducted children there have been right here in Iowa the last few years. :no: The statistics currently are that 1 in 3 girls will be assaulted at some point, and 1 in 8 boys. I'm not sure if that's just while a child, or the entire life - but that's insane.

In general the vast majority of Iowans are decent people. When you see this stuff happening more frequently here you can just imagine how often this happens in other places where people aren't quite so nice.

Reactions: Angie

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I always thought those stickers were strange but everyone grieves and everyone copes differently. If it makes them feel better, good for them.

True everyone does, but this sticker thing is a fairly new phenomenon. People did get along just fine after a death for centuries before this fad was recently invented.

People are gonna do what they are gonna do - I prefer when people keep their grieving private and with those close to or who actually KNEW the person lost. However, I completely understand there are those that need to make it public to everyone, just wish they'd find a less tacky way of doing it publicly than a $5 sticker on the back of a beat down car. To people who are following that car and don't know the person who died it is just a daily reminder when stopped at a light "hey, just remember we all will die! - have a nice day"

I don't ever want to see any of my family members doing it, that is for sure. I'm glad mine all went to college so I don't ever have to worry about it.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
True everyone does, but this sticker thing is a fairly new phenomenon. People did get along just fine after a death for centuries before this fad was recently invented.

People are gonna do what they are gonna do - I prefer when people keep their grieving private and with those close to or who actually KNEW the person lost. However, I completely understand there are those that need to make it public to everyone, just wish they'd find a less tacky way of doing it publicly than a $5 sticker on the back of a beat down car. To people who are following that car and don't know the person who died it is just a daily reminder when stopped at a light "hey, just remember we all will die! - have a nice day"

I don't ever want to see any of my family members doing it, that is for sure. I'm glad mine all went to college so I don't ever have to worry about it.

In California I see these on the back of $80,000 vehicles too. They are everywhere.

troyisu

Jan 13, 2011
Waukee
These stickers people put on their cars. Look, I'm real sorry for your loss, I am, but we all know people who have died. What, do you want people to run up and hug you? Are you really honoring that person by putting that sticker on your P.O.S. car and driving it to Walmart?

And what's with these roadside memorials? I mean, if your relative dies in a hospital are you going to go put up a memorial in the room they died in?

When I die, if anyone I know does any of this in my memory, I will haunt their lame *****.

My wife and I just had this conversation last weekend while on the interstate...I pleaded to her to never, ever put one of those dang stickers in the window if I die...she would never do that anyway.

I always thought that the reasoning for those is that when a person inherits money from a deceased individual, a lot of times, they buy a vehicle with it...therefore, they are saying, "This rusted out Nissan is in memory of Joe Dirt"...

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Not sure about the whole boning a stick figure thing, but I'm with you on the stick figure window stickers depicting your size of family. Hate them. I think the thing that bothers me the most is that someone is probably a million for thinking of something like that.
$_12.JPG

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I'm putting in my will that when I die if anyone puts a tacky "In loving memory of (my name)" on their car - I want them immediately out of my will.

I agree with the OP too. It's tacky.

Also, the above. I am totally going to do that when I get a will set up. Ha. Not that anyone in my family would do such a DUMB thing. But still, just to be safe...

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
new idea -we can have small "in loving memory" stickers for deceased pets. Just think of the line of stickers the stick figure family can have on the back of cars...

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
It amazes me how many people with the Baby on Board stickers drive like a*******.

I had someone the other day who drove about 3 inches off my back bumper for a few blocks. They eventually passed me and at the next stop light I saw they had a bumper sticker that read "if you can read this get off my ***".

One of my other favorites is the American Flag bumper stickers that have "These colors don't run" but the sticker has almost faded to white.

Last edited:

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
What about the prayer ribbon stickers/magnets for sports teams and other irrelevant crap?

Drives me nuts when I see a prayer ribbon with something like, "Chiefs" on it...granted the Chiefs need all the help they can get but c'mon man...

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Saw one of those "family" stickers the other day.

Said "You have your family, I have mine" and then 4 or 5 stickers of various rifles and pistols.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
It amazes me how many people with the Baby on Board stickers drive like a*******.

I had someone the other day who drove about 3 inches off my back bumper for a few blocks. They eventually passed me and at the next stop light I saw they had a bumper sticker that read "if you can read this get off my ***".

One of my other favorites is the American Flag bumper stickers that have "These colors don't run" but the sticker has almost faded to white.

This had to have occurred in Omaha - home of the worst a-holes to ever get behind the wheel.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'd love to memorialize someone on my rear windshield but there's no room with Calvin peeing on so many different things back there.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
My observation is that most of the "In Memory Of" stickers that I see are for people who died young.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Saw one of those "family" stickers the other day.

Said "You have your family, I have mine" and then 4 or 5 stickers of various rifles and pistols.

I've never known any group to have as much obsession with anything as much as gun owners have with their guns.