"I don't like the Cubs."

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
...and probably destroy a couple of pitchers careers along the way. :no:

I was thinking this while watching that kid go for a perfect game against Halladay. You obviously have to let him try for it but ironically when his arm falls off next season like most pitchers seem to do with Dusty managing everyone will point to how Dusty over-used him.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I think Joey Votto is a very good ballplayer and underrated. I don't live in Cincinnati either.

Kid: Mortal Kombat, on Sega Genisis, is the best video game ever.

Billy Madison: I disagree, it's a very good game, but I think Donkey Kong is the best game ever.

Kid: Donkey Kong sucks.

Billy Madison: You know something? You SUCK!!!

mortalKombat7-300x164.png

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Some of the Cubs fans need to not take everything so personal, baseball needs to go back to where it was in the way of teams disliking each other. He didn't say anything about you so lighten up.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Some of the Cubs fans need to not take everything so personal, baseball needs to go back to where it was in the way of teams disliking each other. He didn't say anything about you so lighten up.

I take no offense as a fan. I just think its one of the least classiest things I have ever read about. One game where they are on the same team, the NL vs. the AL, and that
****** Votto refuses to give congrats because Byrd has a Cubs jersey on? I guess I have a dream that one day we live in a nation where you will not be judged by the color of your jersey but by the content of your character.

Reactions: CycloneErik

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
its not the comment that irks me as much as when it was.... seriously votto. the all star break? right after marlon scored a run and make an amazing defensive play to help the NL snap their 12 game losing streak? i mean come on joey. your 0-2 really helped the team out when the reds perhaps could have a lot riding on that home field advantage should they hold on to the division through the second half. cubs were 9.5 out at Byrd is out there busting his ***. thats just low class. votto's a hell of a hitter, but i really have no respect for him anymore. first AB against him i'm throwing right at him if im the pitcher on the mound for the cubs. you want intra division hatred then lets go.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
its not the comment that irks me as much as when it was.... seriously votto. the all star break? right after marlon scored a run and make an amazing defensive play to help the NL snap their 12 game losing streak? i mean come on joey. your 0-2 really helped the team out when the reds perhaps could have a lot riding on that home field advantage should they hold on to the division through the second half. cubs were 9.5 out at Byrd is out there busting his ***. thats just low class. votto's a hell of a hitter, but i really have no respect for him anymore. first AB against him i'm throwing right at him if im the pitcher on the mound for the cubs. you want intra division hatred then lets go.

Votto is probably ok with that considering the Reds are going to be in a pennant race and the Cubs will be fire sailing all there INCREDIBLE AWESOME NEVER GIVEN UP AN EARNED RUN EVER IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL :)jimlad:) pitchers and firing the GM after the season.
Baseball needs good old fashioned rivalries, the game has gotten too nice. A little bad blood is good for the game. I think a bigger FU to Votto would be to beat the Reds several times in the next couple months and keep them out of the playoffs. But the cubs more than likely will just roll over and take it.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Votto is probably ok with that considering the Reds are going to be in a pennant race and the Cubs will be fire sailing all there INCREDIBLE AWESOME NEVER GIVEN UP AN EARNED RUN EVER IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL :)jimlad:) pitchers and firing the GM after the season.
Baseball needs good old fashioned rivalries, the game has gotten too nice. A little bad blood is good for the game. I think a bigger FU to Votto would be to beat the Reds several times in the next couple months and keep them out of the playoffs. But the cubs more than likely will just roll over and take it.

We're trying to aspire to be similar to the Royals this year. Can you blame us?

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
We're trying to aspire to be similar to the Royals this year. Can you blame us?

The difference is the Royals fans know we are going to be bad and accept it. Cubs fans have grandiose visions, then want to argue facts such as, they aren't good.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
The difference is the Royals fans know we are going to be bad and accept it. Cubs fans have grandiose visions, then want to argue facts such as, they aren't good.

Pretty sure you can ask any cubs fan this year, and get similar response in saying we are awful.... We've actually competed in the last few years in the division, and won it back to back in '07-'08... soo its not out of question to think we will compete every year... this year has been a huge disappointment... When have the royals last been competitive? Ok.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Pretty sure you can ask any cubs fan this year, and get similar response in saying we are awful.... We've actually competed in the last few years in the division, and won it back to back in '07-'08... soo its not out of question to think we will compete every year... this year has been a huge disappointment... When have the royals last been competitive? Ok.

I'm not arguing Cubs v. Royals. I'm just saying that Votto has injected a little fire into a baseball season, and sense middle child syndrome kicks in and all Cubs fans can say is, "what somebody doesn't like us? What? How can that be?"

and just for fun, here is the breakdown of interleague play since 2005. I wish we were in the NL.

Team League IL rec IL %
Boston AL 54-24 .692
Minnesota AL 54-24 .692
Detroit AL 53-25 .679
LA Angels AL 48-30 .615
Kansas City AL 46-32 .590
Chicago WS AL 46-32 .590
Colorado NL 39-30 .565
Seattle AL 44-34 .564
NY Yankees AL 44-34 .564
Cleveland AL 41-37 .526
Texas AL 41-37 .526

asmosis

Jul 6, 2010
Minneapolis
Cool, because he ripped the Cardinals too...

And I'm cool with that. I did read the whole quote and understood he mentioned the entire NL Central. I'm +1'ing him for his competitive nature in addition to his direct callout of the Cubs. I've been a big fan of Votto since his callup and his whole quote makes me like him even more.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
OK, I finally had to log in. First of all, I'm originally from Cincinnati and grew up during the Big Red Machine. I'm looking at an autographed jersey of Pete Rose on my office wall as I type this (let the bashing begin). I personally had no problem with what Votto said, and I can honestly say, I would have no problem if the tables were turned. Check out some of Carpenter's quotes about the other teams, as well as what he says to them from time to time. No problems with that at all - the guys should be competitive; in fact, I wish there were more of it, as long as it doesn't get nasty. Lots of people are way overreacting to this.

I can say that I hate the Cubs, the Cardinals, the Brewers, the Astros, and the Pirates. I also hate the Steelers, the Ravens, and the Browns. But if one of their players said a comment like Joey did, it wouldn't give me more reasons to hate them. It's part of the game.

asmosis

Jul 6, 2010
Minneapolis
OK, I finally had to log in. First of all, I'm originally from Cincinnati and grew up during the Big Red Machine. I'm looking at an autographed jersey of Pete Rose on my office wall as I type this (let the bashing begin). I personally had no problem with what Votto said, and I can honestly say, I would have no problem if the tables were turned. Check out some of Carpenter's quotes about the other teams, as well as what he says to them from time to time. No problems with that at all - the guys should be competitive; in fact, I wish there were more of it, as long as it doesn't get nasty. Lots of people are way overreacting to this.

I can say that I hate the Cubs, the Cardinals, the Brewers, the Astros, and the Pirates. I also hate the Steelers, the Ravens, and the Browns. But if one of their players said a comment like Joey did, it wouldn't give me more reasons to hate them. It's part of the game.

Amen. When you are getting paid millions by a team, you better bleed those team colors. I think this holds true even when you end up playing for a rival after several good years with one team (ala Jim Edmonds).