Hurricane Ian's destruction

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
It certainly happens, but most people chiming in here had it occur during the derecho which was a pretty unusual event. In my experience losing power for days due to a blizzard or severe thunderstorm isn't all that frequent or widespread, at least for people in the cities.

My worst was in an Ice storm in St Lou. A tree crushed my car, and we had to live in a hotel for 10 days.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You are lucky I have been in multiple days outages, even some a week plus. The worst ones in St Lou, but it has happened in Ames.
When I was about 4-5th grade, i remember being without power for about 7-9 days. No school for about 3 days since the roads were filled in. Only heat we had was a gas stoves and a room heater that we had to be careful so we didn't gas ourselves to death. Saying having no heat for a week in winter is an inconvenience is something I don't understand. In first grade, I had to go to school on a freaking Saturday since so much school was cancelled, several runs of no power for 2-3 days and huddling together for heat to stay warm.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
When I was about 4-5th grade, i remember being without power for about 7-9 days. No school for about 3 days since the roads were filled in. Only heat we had was a gas stoves and a room heater that we had to be careful so we didn't gas ourselves to death. Saying having no heat for a week in winter is an inconvenience is something I don't understand. In first grade, I had to go to school on a freaking Saturday since so much school was cancelled, several runs of no power for 2-3 days and huddling together for heat to stay warm.
If you have any brains at all, you can make cold go away in your house, especially modern houses. It’s one reason I have 2 fireplaces in my house. You can’t make water go away. And the aftermath of a flooded house I wouldn’t wish n my worst enemy, it’s a nightmare that never seems to go away unless you can bulldoze and start from scratch.

Reactions: isutrevman

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If you have any brains at all, you can make cold go away in your house, especially modern houses. It’s one reason I have 2 fireplaces in my house. You can’t make water go away. And the aftermath of a flooded house I wouldn’t wish n my worst enemy, it’s a nightmare that never seems to go away unless you can bulldoze and start from scratch.
So my parents had no brains since they didn't have a fireplace. Cool to find out.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
So my parents had no brains since they didn't have a fireplace. Cool to find out.
We are comparing a hurricane to a blizzard. If you have walls and a roof, it’s a lot easier to keep your family safe in that than it is when a storm surge picks your house up off the foundation. I’m not saying your situation wasn’t bad, but at some point you have to admit, having 4 walls and a roof, even in the cold is better than having nothing at all.

And yes, when you look at all scenarios, in the Midwest and other cold winter places, a fireplace is a must.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We are comparing a hurricane to a blizzard. If you have walls and a roof, it’s a lot easier to keep your family safe in that than it is when a storm surge picks your house up off the foundation. I’m not saying your situation wasn’t bad, but at some point you have to admit, having 4 walls and a roof, even in the cold is better than having nothing at all.

And yes, when you look at all scenarios, in the Midwest and other cold winter places, a fireplace is a must.
You are comparing, I'm not. I said a blizzard is more than an inconvenience. Never said anything about a hurricane.