• Buy from a store, cafe, etc.

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Other (please describe).

Votes: 8 6.3%

• Total voters

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Coffee snob alert!!!!!!

I use a drip coffee maker with a gold plated filter and filtered water. I grind my own beans and only use beans that are locally roasted and I know how long ago they were roasted.

You don't roast your own beans daily?

pfft....

Generally I just use the drip maker at home. Wife brings a "free trade something, something, something" coffee home that they use and sell at her work - and we drink a lot of it. Otherwise - I do prefer Starbucks to about anything out there - but the cost and crazy lines are enough to turn me off most days.

This morning I have a glorious 24oz Quik Trip Nicaraguan on my desk. Not bad suprisingly enough.

Last edited:

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
post-15789-0-81199600-1394691733.png

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
hopefully not offending the Kuerig owners out there, but those are the biggest waste of money i've ever seen. Super expensive coffee machine combined with super expensive k-cups. Sure when you compare the cost of the coffee made from a k-cup to the cost of a cup of coffee from a coffee shop, it is much cheaper. However, if you compare the cost of a k-cup versus the cost of a cup of coffee from a drip coffee maker, it is ridiculous. I've had them both because we have a Kuerig at work, and they taste the same to me.

Long story short, I make a pot of coffee in my old fashioned coffee maker that didn't cost over $100, using either folgers coffee grounds that cost less than $8 for dozens of pots of coffee OR fresh ground coffee beans that cost about $10 - $15 for a pound and also makes dozens of pots of coffee.

Kuerig was ingeniously marketed to convince people to spend 10X what they used to spend for the same finished product just for the convenience of making 1 cup of coffee at a time... even though you can do this with a drip coffee maker by spending an extra minute to pull out a filter and scoop the grounds in by hand.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
hopefully not offending the Kuerig owners out there, but those are the biggest waste of money i've ever seen. Super expensive coffee machine combined with super expensive k-cups. Sure when you compare the cost of the coffee made from a k-cup to the cost of a cup of coffee from a coffee shop, it is much cheaper. However, if you compare the cost of a k-cup versus the cost of a cup of coffee from a drip coffee maker, it is ridiculous. I've had them both because we have a Kuerig at work, and they taste the same to me.

Long story short, I make a pot of coffee in my old fashioned coffee maker that didn't cost over $100, using either folgers coffee grounds that cost less than $8 for dozens of pots of coffee OR fresh ground coffee beans that cost about $10 - $15 for a pound and also makes dozens of pots of coffee.

Kuerig was ingeniously marketed to convince people to spend 10X what they used to spend for the same finished product just for the convenience of making 1 cup of coffee at a time... even though you can do this with a drip coffee maker by spending an extra minute to pull out a filter and scoop the grounds in by hand.
I'll gladly pay my $.40 a cup or whatever to not have to do all that ********.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
My co-workers make pots in the break room. In the event the pots are empty, I go back to my desk and return 15 minutes later to a fresh brewing.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I can't decide if this is so ridiculous it has to be true or so ridiculous it can't be true.

Why is that ridiculous? If you're going to drink coffee, it might as well taste good! I actually buy green coffee and roast my own in small batches so it's never more than a week old. For standard coffee, I use my french press, but more often I use my espresso machine and make an americano (espresso + hot water = a strong cup of coffee)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We use a Keurig because it was gifted to us. I think the coffee is way too expensive and it would be cheaper to use a drip coffee maker even if you toss what you don't drink. I don't like coffee at all but try to choke a cup down a day because I think it is good for you. I am much more a tea drinker and actually go through a couple of pots a day of that.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Drip. I use a Cuisinart with a built in grinder. Cleanup is kind of a pain in the *** but it makes a good pot of coffee. I like the idea of a Keurig but my wife and I drink way too much for that to be cost effective for us. I've never heard of pour over before this thread. Guess I'll have to look into that.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I use these from Amazon.

[h=1]San Francisco Bay Coffee French Roast, OneCup Single Serve Cups[/h]

french-roast-onecup.jpg

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

So, you're a cheap-***. Good for you. Folgers? That's like drinking dirt water. To each their own though.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Drip, from like a 15 dollar coffe maker. But only Kona coffee. If you're not drinking Kona, there's no point in drinking it. I'm pretty sure Kona coffee is made by the Gods.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
We use a Keurig because it was gifted to us. I think the coffee is way too expensive and it would be cheaper to use a drip coffee maker even if you toss what you don't drink. I don't like coffee at all but try to choke a cup down a day because I think it is good for you. I am much more a tea drinker and actually go through a couple of pots a day of that.

Friends of mine were also gifted with one. They use it for the hot water for their tea.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

Super expensive machine? You know that a Keurig costs roughly the same as a Bunn right? If you think 100 bucks is a super expensive coffee "machine" then you should price out some top of the line coffee makers. It might make your head explode.

We have a Flavia machine at work, which is essentially the same idea as a Keurig - brews a single cup out of pre-packaged filter packs.

At home I have a Hamilton Beach single cup unit (about $50) that uses K-Cups or the mesh filter basket. I use K-cups once in a while, my parents bring them when they visit, but normally just use regular ground coffee. Makes good enough coffee for me.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
If you want a good coffee that's laced with jet fuel try some Vietnamese Cafe Su Da.

The stuff if addictive and will put you in orbit. I drank 2 and gave a presentation. It was almost an out of body experience. Some really fast talking guy who looked like me was on fire....

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Thread title reminds me of Angels in the Outfield. How do you take your coffee? In a cup.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
So, you're a cheap-***. Good for you. Folgers? That's like drinking dirt water. To each their own though.

I guess you could call me a cheap-*****, but I prefer to think of myself as economical. If all my purchases were made without overall cost in mind, I'd be broke all the time. I'm not going to pay $20 for something that I can get for $5 just because it is the current trend.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron