How do you make your coffee?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

How do you make your coffee?

• Brew a pot of coffee.

Votes: 56 44.4%
  • Keurig brewer.

Votes: 46 36.5%
  • French press.

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Pour-over.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Buy from a store, cafe, etc.

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Other (please describe).

Votes: 8 6.3%

• Total voters

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
My wife and I have bounced back and forth between a Keurig and a pot of coffee, depending on the day and how busy we are. It made me wonder, what is most common among the CFers out there? I know there are other methods, too, including French press, pour over, etc.

So, how do you make your coffee?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Keurig, my wife doesn't drink coffee and I usually just have a cup in the morning. In before coffee snobs (I assume that's a thing).

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Coffee snob alert!!!!!!

I use a drip coffee maker with a gold plated filter and filtered water. I grind my own beans and only use beans that are locally roasted and I know how long ago they were roasted.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Coffee snob alert!!!!!!

I use a drip coffee maker with a gold plated filter and filtered water. I grind my own beans and only use beans that are locally roasted and I know how long ago they were roasted.
I can't decide if this is so ridiculous it has to be true or so ridiculous it can't be true.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I like the convenience of the Kuerig, but I hate the taste of the coffee from it. I love Nespresso coffee though!

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Pour over... Best of both worlds IMO. Gives me unlimited options on the beans I use (typically Half-Wit out of chicago or Grumpy out of Brooklyn), lets me tailor it specifically to my tastes (grind size/amount of coffee, amount of water, pouring time), makes a single cup at a time relatively quickly. Cheaper to get into than a keurig or coffee pot. (biggest expense is the kettle, but it isn't completely necessary, though it does make it easier). I also use a digital scale with a timer for consistent results.

Lately I'm pulling two triple shots via my rancilio sylvia (paired with the rancilio rocky grinder, half-wit triforce espresso beans) and pouring over ice.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Drip if I'm impatient and want it now.
French press if I want more flavor and can wait a few minutes.
Espresso if I'm at work.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Coffee snob alert!!!!!!

Switch to pour over... You'll be happier, trust me! If convenience is an issue get one of the electric pots and a hario v60 (plastic is cheap, and has less thermal impact than the ceramic).

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
At home I just get those coffee bags (like a tea bag). Boil water and let it sit a few minutes. If I make coffee at home it is usually just one cup. I have a coffee pot but if I make a pot of coffee I'll probably drink the whole thing and I don't want to do that.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I recently switched from the K-Cups to the cup where you put your own coffee grind in it. I much prefer it to the cups, the flavor is better and it is much more economical.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I recently switched from the K-Cups to the cup where you put your own coffee grind in it. I much prefer it to the cups, the flavor is better and it is much more economical.

We did this recently, too. The savings are more than I initially thought. Plus, it lets you experiment with different amounts of grind on the coffee beans, different amounts of grounds, and flavor to taste, all without committing to making a full pot of coffee.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
French press. I traditionally use Starbucks whole bean and grind at home. Can't beat the taste. Of course, I like coffee like I like my men, black.

Help Support Us

Become a patron