How do we stop KU?

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I think this is the first in quite a few games the rest of the way where ISU is going to need to score at least 31 points to win.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
KU's style is quite similar to OU's when Mangino was there. Hard to get pressure on the QB or put him on his back when he let's it fly in a couple seconds.

Therefore, we'll need our DBs to cover and not give big cushions and for our DL to get penetration and get their hands in the air. Any blitz will have to be on long yardage situations when they need more time for the WRs to get down field.

Last, and not least, pray for a good wind blowing thru Jack Trice. At times I thought this was detrimental, but it can also be a home field advantage if we are used to it and the opponent is not. I believe this was a factor last year versus OU.

That said, I don't think it will take 31 points to win this game. Just a hunch.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Even last year, Kansas played very suspect on the road.

KU had four true road games last year: KSU, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State. KU covered the point spread in all four games. If you want to count neutral games, KU covered 5 out of 6.

Before last year, you are right, however. KU was pretty bad on the road before last year.

Leechrat

Sep 25, 2008
You can't ask a player to get pressure on a QB that delivers in 2-3 steps. Have to play tight man on the corners.

If anything maybe zone blitz some, our ends are athletic enough to drop back into coverage. The end dropping back can be hard to see when a QB is taking the snap and throwing basically in the same motion.

Our only hope is turnovers.. jump a couple slants, block 2-3 punts, recover 5 fumbles and make our FGs to "capitalize" on the turnovers.

I like to use football terms on message boards like I know what I'm talking about.

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
yes, I think we should run too, but we can't waste the whole first half trying to establish something that's just not there.

Not that I disagree with your post, but an additional comment that the runs in the first half of football are often akin to body shots during the first rounds of a boxing match. Although, you might say our body shots (runs) hurt about as much as me punching the heavy weight champ in his midrif.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
i think leonard johnson should just lay wood on Todd reseing and break his arm or something, and then we should tell mangino that krispey kreme is giving out free donuts that day

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
i think leonard johnson should just lay wood on Todd reseing and break his arm or something, and then we should tell mangino that krispey kreme is giving out free donuts that day

Where's the neg rep when you need it?

The second half is funny. The first half is wrong in so many ways--for one thing, you never even joke about wanting anyone hurt, for another LJ most decidedly does not need to be the one doing it.

CyFan987

Jan 8, 2008
Waco, TX
I think we won't be able too stop them very well so we will have to really on a couple of takeaways and stops and then just keep up with them on offense. If that fails we should use the Krispy Kreme tactic.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I think this is the first in quite a few games the rest of the way where ISU is going to need to score at least 31 points to win.

If ISU had scored 31 points in all their games to this point they would be 4-0. Not to be a smartass just saying. Getting to 28 or 31 is a magical number for winning FB games for some reason.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
put 101 boogers from mangino on their training lunch table and hope that all of their players get sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
Hit hard and I mean Bob Sanders hard: nasty body shots and you ain't gettin up hard. This is the strategy Iowa used against Tex Tech in the 2001 ALAMO Bowl and it worked.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If ISU had scored 31 points in all their games to this point they would be 4-0. Not to be a smartass just saying. Getting to 28 or 31 is a magical number for winning FB games for some reason.

Uh - they scored 31 against UNLV and lost. Granted, if they scored 31 in regulation they would have one, but sorry, saying that if we scored 31 points in all of our games we'd be undefeated right now is just not a fact.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron