How do we stop KU?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
We have to keep our offense on the field as much as possible. Running the ball and shortening the game will be so important next Saturday. Todd Reesing has thrown for 412, 373, 356 in his last 3 games.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
KU averages 119 yards/game on the ground. I feel good if they cannot run against ISU. Their receivers scare me though. They are big and athletic. I think ISU needs to be REALLY physical at the line with these guys to try and disrupt their timing a bit.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Our linebackers will really need to step it up in pass coverage as well. If Bibbs is out that will really hurt.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Running the ball is what almost knocked us out of the UNLV game. ISU doesn't have the offensive line to run the ball against a Mountain West team let alone against the Big 12. We need to pass, pass, pass which will help us set up an occasional run.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Running the ball is what almost knocked us out of the UNLV game. ISU doesn't have the offensive line to run the ball against a Mountain West team let alone against the Big 12. We need to pass, pass, pass which will help us set up an occasional run.

Agreed. Whatever it takes to avoid 3 and outs.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I have an idea. We wait until there's a dead ball situation, like during a TV time out, then we have Arnaud pick up the ball and run for a touchdown. This strategy works for KU in basketball.

I agree with this. After all, according to the officials in that game, once the points are on the board, they can't be taken back off.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA

I also agree with this. I know Chizik wants to run, run, run the football.....but when it isn't working, we need to be doing whatever it takes to move the ball BEFORE we're actually forced into passing each down in the 4th quarter.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Even last year, Kansas played very suspect on the road. Luckily for them, they were able to pull out all of those games (except one).

Keep the offense on the field as much as possible and we have a shot. Unfortunately, that means we will have to be able to run the ball...

Reactions: ajk4st8

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I hate to say it, but I don't think we can "stop" them...but a smart pass rush and good tackling will slow them down...

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
Pressure football. KU is better, plain and simple. Try forcing mistakes....blitz them from all different angles. Stunt, play tight man to man defense. Keep the crowd in the game by playing exciting defense.

On offense, take chances down the field. Arnaud has the arm...let him use it. Mix in some trick plays, fake field goal, punt. Sneak Bates in a two backfield set along with Robinson. Make them adjust to you, not vice versa

Try taking the game to them. If you lose, don't lose due to fear.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Pressure football. KU is better, plain and simple. Try forcing mistakes....blitz them from all different angles. Stunt, play tight man to man defense. Keep the crowd in the game by playing exciting defense.

On offense, take chances down the field. Arnaud has the arm...let him use it. Mix in some trick plays, fake field goal, punt. Sneak Bates in a two backfield set along with Bass and Robinson. Make them adjust to you, not vice versa

Try taking the game to them. If you lose, don't lose due to fear.

Fixed it.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
At least we wont get beat by them having their ex starting QB as their top WR and his Mitch King like golden locks. That guy, Meier(he cant even spell his name right), was dangerous.

Maybe we can have our 6'5" Olineman play Dline and they can knock down tiny little Reesling's passes.