High interest savings accounts

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Looking at transferring my savings to an online only high interest account that also has no fee checking. I already do over 95% of my banking online but my local bank offers basically nothing for interest. What banks should I check out? One that also offers a good rewards card would be nice. Is there any reason to keep my local bank account?

ILikeTurtles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2011
Thirding(sp?) Ally. Just opened a savings acct and it’s 2.2% now. I would keep your checking account and just transfer money you actually need to spend there so it mainly stays in the savings acct earning interest.

Never heard of a checking acct with a rewards card. Those are for credit cards.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Thirding(sp?) Ally. Just opened a savings acct and it’s 2.2% now. I would keep your checking account and just transfer money you actually need to spend there so it mainly stays in the savings acct earning interest.

Never heard of a checking acct with a rewards card. Those are for credit cards.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/best-rewards-checking-accounts/

I used to get airline miles from my checking, it was a nice bonus for spending money that I would spend anyways.

Reactions: ILikeTurtles

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
My Edward Jones guy was telling us to open a money market with them as you can use it like a checking account and earn like a retirement acct. I haven't done it yet but plan to.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
It seems like a ton of high interest savings accounts have popped up in the last month (Citi, Wealthfront, Amex, and locally UICCU). We opened one last month through UICCU at 1.5% APY but just saw that Citi now has an online one at 2.36%. I might be switch us to that one soon. It's basically free money while still having access to it at anytime.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
4 more months to go on a 15 month 1.8% Veridian CD
6 more months to go on a 9 month 1.89% Veridian CD

So, I’m also going to be in the market.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
It seems like a ton of high interest savings accounts have popped up in the last month (Citi, Wealthfront, Amex, and locally UICCU). We opened one last month through UICCU at 1.5% APY but just saw that Citi now has an online one at 2.36%. I might be switch us to that one soon. It's basically free money while still having access to it at anytime.

Just saw that Citi 2.36%. Just need over $500 for no fees which isn’t a problem. I think they have some decent rewards cards too so I might go this route.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Just saw that Citi 2.36%. Just need over $500 for no fees which isn’t a problem. I think they have some decent rewards cards too so I might go this route.
I have looked at the Citi Costco card before and it was intriguing.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I have most of my liquid savings in an Ally savings account. I have an ally checking so if I need it, I can transfer online and have immediate access.

Ally has been fanstasic. Been with them 4 years.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
I am working towards having 1/3 of my cash reserve in an Ally savings account, 1/3 in a ladder of 1 year CDs, and 1/3 in the Vanguard Prime money market. Ally pays 2.2% and has no minimum to get started. You can make 6 withdrawals per month. The Vanguard money market yields 2.5%, but has a $3000 min initial investment. It is not FDIC insured, but has a rock solid history, so I don't lose sleep over that.

As someone else suggested, I don't bother with online checking. I just transfer from Ally to my bank checking if I need some cash. The limit of 6 withdrawals has never been an issue.

cyphoon

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

if they still have the 2% on everything card, that one is really nice.