Harder to "replace", Morris or Burton?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by FinalFourCy, Mar 20, 2017.

1. FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I know these guys will not be replaced, and it's probably a poor question given Morris is one of the best point guards in the history of college basketball, but...Is the loss of Morris easier to scheme around? I guess at first thought I'm more concerned about losing that mismatch and scoring from the post than if we can from more TOs and less efficiency at pg. Clearly it's highly dependent on who is replacing them and our roster, but I lack patience this time of year.

Morris was critical to winning even when getting crushed on the boards and FT shooting. His steals and lack of TOs while having the ball for as many minutes kept us close in possession count. However Burton was our primary mismatch imo. To have a post that could shoot so well from anywhere, plus drive and create, all while having the size to defend the post is a huge schematic advantage. Although I thought he could have been a better rebounder, he led us in rebounding. Once he took to Prohmball, he actually was fairly effective in protecting the rim (only McKay and Homan statistically better in 15 years) and on defense.

2. spitfyr36

spitfyr36 Active Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I think the first time we have a 15+ turnover game will answer this question pretty quick. I loved Burton, but Morris' ball security and facilitating will be severely missed

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. NetflixAndClone

NetflixAndClone Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Student
    Ames
    I'm going to go with Burton just because he was our mismatch. I think to be successful in basketball you need to have a good mismatch that you can exploit every game. That being said replacing Morris is going to be very hard and he is the best pg in ISU history so we won't every be able to 100% replace him. I just feel like Burton was our number one threat on our offense if he was on.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    In the past anyways we've had a knack for finding athletic freaks that are impossible to guard, Royce, Georges, Deonte. We've never had a PG like Monte so I'll say he'll be harder to replace.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. This is the answer right here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. awd4cy

awd4cy Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    Monte, and next year I think is absence is going to show the most.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chitowncy

Chitowncy Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Ames
    Agreed. Both will be missed tremendously, but I think our turnovers per game will rise significantly. That said, maybe we can make it up in other areas? One thing we were not good at over the past couple years was offensive rebounding and rebounding in general. If we can get more offensive boards, we'll be looking at more possessions even if we lose a few more possessions to turnovers.

Still, obviously we're looking at a solid step back next year unless we get a surprise really solid grad transfer who can score in the block and land that Shakur Juiston who seems to be a SF / PF / SG all in one (exactly what we need). It will still be great to be a Cyclone, regardless.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chitowncy

Chitowncy Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Ames
    I agree with you, if we assume we keep the offense "as is." If we change it up now to move to a more traditional offense - like a motion, flex offense, etc. - then the mismatch won't matter as much. Still, I agree that it is really nice to have a good mismatch to exploit every game as you said. Depends on the other team's personnel though. The mismatch may change each game. It will be interesting to see how the roster finalizes in the next few months. I'm really hoping for some late season Magic from Prohm.

• Like Like x 1
  9. FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
    Can we offset that with better rebounding and defense? I'm not sure you can easily offset being significantly easier to defend and not having a mismatch? Sets are good, but do we have a low block scorer or even a guy that can drive and finish?

If we land Juiston or another forward that can create I'd change my answer.

10. sheepplucker

sheepplucker Active Member

Sep 22, 2013
    press brake operator
    concordia
    Morris And it isn't even close. But I also think people are getting carried away with the doom and gloom of the point guard situation next year. we will be fine maybe even a better team overall.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Male
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    Stu

/end thread

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Monte. I don't think we will fully appreciate his brilliance until he isn't suited up for us. That being said we will miss burton a ton too not to mention Matt and naz.

13. CycloneBBFan

CycloneBBFan Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Male
    Monte's assist to turnover ratio is unlikely to be broken in my lifetime. The Cyclone fans and pundits will be talking about that thirty years from now long after I'm gone. I'll have to give the vote to Monte.

14. CyCloned

CyCloned Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Accountant
    Robins, Iowa
    Really have to go with Burton, though it is a pretty close call. As much as I appreciate what Monte has done, ISU's offense has thrived because of the mis-match guys like White, Burton, Kane, Georges, etc. Not sure if there is anyone on next years team that has that ability.

Just look back one game. The team was getting hammered until Burton took over in the second half. Maybe there is someone like that coming in and maybe Lard is that guy, but at this point I don't see it. On the other hand, I didn't see Burton as a great mismatch before this year.

15. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Publications Manager
    Macomb, MI
    I said it before, I'll say it again - we're going to miss Monte Morris next year more than we missed Georges Niang this year.

16. WastedTalent

WastedTalent Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Morris for sure.

The whole mis match thing was awesome with Royce, Niang, and sometimes Burton, but most really good college basketball teams don't play that way. It's not to say you can't have a a couple different guys, that you can use for mis matches, depending on the opponent, but generally the best teams every year are just solid, and have a couple go to guys, and the rest know their roles.

17. FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
    Very true, an insanely great feat.

But I think a lot of teams win with mortal A/TO numbers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. CycloneBBFan

CycloneBBFan Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Male
    I think the entire Cyclone team next year will be playing as mere mortals. Perhaps the better question for this thread is, "which immortal will have their jersey hanging from the rafter"?

That goes without saying - Monte Morris.

19. RustShack

RustShack Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
    You can't replace Morris or Burton. Or Niang, Kane, Royce and so on.

You don't have to either. At least not with the same skill set.

20. CyHans

CyHans Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Neither. New players, new scheme and cherish the memories.

• Like Like x 1