Harder to "replace", Morris or Burton?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I know these guys will not be replaced, and it's probably a poor question given Morris is one of the best point guards in the history of college basketball, but...Is the loss of Morris easier to scheme around? I guess at first thought I'm more concerned about losing that mismatch and scoring from the post than if we can from more TOs and less efficiency at pg. Clearly it's highly dependent on who is replacing them and our roster, but I lack patience this time of year.

Morris was critical to winning even when getting crushed on the boards and FT shooting. His steals and lack of TOs while having the ball for as many minutes kept us close in possession count. However Burton was our primary mismatch imo. To have a post that could shoot so well from anywhere, plus drive and create, all while having the size to defend the post is a huge schematic advantage. Although I thought he could have been a better rebounder, he led us in rebounding. Once he took to Prohmball, he actually was fairly effective in protecting the rim (only McKay and Homan statistically better in 15 years) and on defense.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I'm going to go with Burton just because he was our mismatch. I think to be successful in basketball you need to have a good mismatch that you can exploit every game. That being said replacing Morris is going to be very hard and he is the best pg in ISU history so we won't every be able to 100% replace him. I just feel like Burton was our number one threat on our offense if he was on.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
In the past anyways we've had a knack for finding athletic freaks that are impossible to guard, Royce, Georges, Deonte. We've never had a PG like Monte so I'll say he'll be harder to replace.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I think the first time we have a 15+ turnover game will answer this question pretty quick. I loved Burton, but Morris' ball security and facilitating will be severely missed

Agreed. Both will be missed tremendously, but I think our turnovers per game will rise significantly. That said, maybe we can make it up in other areas? One thing we were not good at over the past couple years was offensive rebounding and rebounding in general. If we can get more offensive boards, we'll be looking at more possessions even if we lose a few more possessions to turnovers.

Still, obviously we're looking at a solid step back next year unless we get a surprise really solid grad transfer who can score in the block and land that Shakur Juiston who seems to be a SF / PF / SG all in one (exactly what we need). It will still be great to be a Cyclone, regardless.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I'm going to go with Burton just because he was our mismatch. I think to be successful in basketball you need to have a good mismatch that you can exploit every game. That being said replacing Morris is going to be very hard and he is the best pg in ISU history so we won't every be able to 100% replace him. I just feel like Burton was our number one threat on our offense if he was on.

I agree with you, if we assume we keep the offense "as is." If we change it up now to move to a more traditional offense - like a motion, flex offense, etc. - then the mismatch won't matter as much. Still, I agree that it is really nice to have a good mismatch to exploit every game as you said. Depends on the other team's personnel though. The mismatch may change each game. It will be interesting to see how the roster finalizes in the next few months. I'm really hoping for some late season Magic from Prohm.

Reactions: NetflixAndClone

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Agreed. Both will be missed tremendously, but I think our turnovers per game will rise significantly. That said, maybe we can make it up in other areas? One thing we were not good at over the past couple years was offensive rebounding and rebounding in general. If we can get more offensive boards, we'll be looking at more possessions even if we lose a few more possessions to turnovers.
Can we offset that with better rebounding and defense? I'm not sure you can easily offset being significantly easier to defend and not having a mismatch? Sets are good, but do we have a low block scorer or even a guy that can drive and finish?

If we land Juiston or another forward that can create I'd change my answer.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Monte. I don't think we will fully appreciate his brilliance until he isn't suited up for us. That being said we will miss burton a ton too not to mention Matt and naz.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Monte's assist to turnover ratio is unlikely to be broken in my lifetime. The Cyclone fans and pundits will be talking about that thirty years from now long after I'm gone. I'll have to give the vote to Monte.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Really have to go with Burton, though it is a pretty close call. As much as I appreciate what Monte has done, ISU's offense has thrived because of the mis-match guys like White, Burton, Kane, Georges, etc. Not sure if there is anyone on next years team that has that ability.

Just look back one game. The team was getting hammered until Burton took over in the second half. Maybe there is someone like that coming in and maybe Lard is that guy, but at this point I don't see it. On the other hand, I didn't see Burton as a great mismatch before this year.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I said it before, I'll say it again - we're going to miss Monte Morris next year more than we missed Georges Niang this year.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Morris for sure.

The whole mis match thing was awesome with Royce, Niang, and sometimes Burton, but most really good college basketball teams don't play that way. It's not to say you can't have a a couple different guys, that you can use for mis matches, depending on the opponent, but generally the best teams every year are just solid, and have a couple go to guys, and the rest know their roles.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Monte's assist to turnover ratio is unlikely to be broken in my lifetime. The Cyclone fans and pundits will be talking about that thirty years from now long after I'm gone. I'll have to give the vote to Monte.
Very true, an insanely great feat.

But I think a lot of teams win with mortal A/TO numbers.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneBBFan

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Very true, an insanely great feat.

But I think a lot of teams win with mortal A/TO numbers.

I think the entire Cyclone team next year will be playing as mere mortals. Perhaps the better question for this thread is, "which immortal will have their jersey hanging from the rafter"?

That goes without saying - Monte Morris.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
You can't replace Morris or Burton. Or Niang, Kane, Royce and so on.

You don't have to either. At least not with the same skill set.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron