Hang Ejim's Jersey!

Dreamyfred

Mar 28, 2014
Minnesota
1- not the best player on the team, but best in the conference?

2- he didn't have many designed plays because he went and got his
1-I think all of his bolstered numbers this year were a result of Kane and Niang creating.
2-While that is very true, where the **** was he tonight?

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I think it's crazy how emotional people get with people that don't agree with them on this.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Was never the best player on any of his teams. Most of his career ranking are due the his ranking in number of games played. Season averages don't warrant it. Got the nod for POY as a career award. Was a good player for four years. Not a focal point on offense. Hoiberg admitted he only had a small section of plays for him.

He was a great cyclone. But not worthy of hanging from the rafters. Save it for our best players.
He has the stats and accolades to be considered one of our best players. If you are going save it for truly the best players, a guy like Gary Thompson probably would not be up there.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Rafter worthy players show up for Sweet 16 games. He made the coaches of all Big 12 teams look like fools for the last 4 games of his career. Fantastic 4 year player. Hang his pencil in Parks, but he doesn't deserve the rafters of Hilton.
There are guys up there that never made it to a Sweet 16.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
There are guys up there that never made it to a Sweet 16.

Yes. Excellent point.

One of them is Fred Hoiberg.

And I doubt anyone seriously questioned his inclusion, even before his early run of success as head coach. That's partly because jersey-retirement has no absolute definition.

I'm in no rush to include Ejim in the rafter-of-honor. I do think he deserves a prominent place on the waiting list.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I think many fanatics know my position on this topic?! Hang it!

Yes. Excellent point.

One of them is Fred Hoiberg.

And I doubt anyone seriously questioned his inclusion, even before his early run of success as head coach. That's partly because jersey-retirement has no absolute definition.

I'm in no rush to include Ejim in the rafter-of-honor. I do think he deserves a prominent place on the waiting list.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Big 12 player of the Year. Big 12 Champion. Sweet Sixteen team. Most Starts. Top 12 scoring, top 3 rebounds. If anyone deserves it is Melvin. If you don't think so then shut the hell up.

Shut the hell up might have been a bit strong, but really, break it all down and see there are much more reasons to hang the jersey than not too.

And to the person who said sweet sixteen victories? Fred Hoiberg, Gary Thompson, Zaid Abdul-Aziz, Waldo Wegner, Barry Stevens....

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Look, there is no hate. I love Mel's workman-like attitude. But you can't tell me he was the MVP of this team. And once he beat down TCU, he largely disappeared. Probably because he got a little extra attention after TCU - but then what does that say?

I don't get the sweet 16 belonging Mel either. He was definitely a part of it. But he didn't carry us there. So he is worthy because Kane decided to transfer here and carry us? If Kane went to Pitt like what was rumored, Mel doesn't deserve it because we don't make the Sweet 16.

Reasonable people can agree to disagree. Some of you get your panties in such a wad if someone doesn't think exactly how you think. To me, Melvin was a great Cyclone for four years. He worked hard and represented our team and school well. I am very thankful he chose to come here because he had a major part in our turn-around.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Look, there is no hate. I love Mel's workman-like attitude. But you can't tell me he was the MVP of this team. And once he beat down TCU, he largely disappeared. Probably because he got a little extra attention after TCU - but then what does that say?

I don't get the sweet 16 belonging Mel either. He was definitely a part of it. But he didn't carry us there. So he is worthy because Kane decided to transfer here and carry us? If Kane went to Pitt like what was rumored, Mel doesn't deserve it because we don't make the Sweet 16.

Reasonable people can agree to disagree. Some of you get your panties in such a wad if someone doesn't think exactly how you think. To me, Melvin was a great Cyclone for four years. He worked hard and represented our team and school well. I am very thankful he chose to come here because he had a major part in our turn-around.

You're right, Averaging 15 and 8 is disappearing.

swiclone83

Mar 20, 2014
Great player and great cyclone. His stats stem from playing a lot of games. The magic man would have to wait for a couple other players before he could be considered.

only4cy

Nov 21, 2006
The recognition and celebration of having his jersey hanging from the rafters will mean much more to him several years after his basketball playing days are over. That's the way it works, and the way it should be.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Rafter worthy players show up for Sweet 16 games. He made the coaches of all Big 12 teams look like fools for the last 4 games of his career. Fantastic 4 year player. Hang his pencil in Parks, but he doesn't deserve the rafters of Hilton.

Melvin's been making a significant portion of the fanbase look like fools for 3 years now so maybe it balances out.

Look, there's one now

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
1-I think all of his bolstered numbers this year were a result of Kane and Niang creating.
2-While that is very true, where the **** was he tonight?

UConn packed the inside and got away with contact, especially early. I've yet to see a player that had never had a bad game. He was remarkably consistent throughout the year and we would not have gone so far without him.

Also, don't be a ******

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Great player and great cyclone. His stats stem from playing a lot of games. The magic man would have to wait for a couple other players before he could be considered.

Isn't Grayer the all time leading scorer because he played in more games than Fizer? Part of hanging a jersey is playing in a lot of games.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Isn't Grayer the all time leading scorer because he played in more games than Fizer? Part of hanging a jersey is playing in a lot of games.

Where does he rank in total games played? And then where does he rank in points and/or rebounds? Better way to look at it is how do his season and career averages compare?

When you look at his averages, you see a consistently good player over four years. To me, rafters is more than four years of consistently good.

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
Where does he rank in total games played? And then where does he rank in points and/or rebounds? Better way to look at it is how do his season and career averages compare?

When you look at his averages, you see a consistently good player over four years. To me, rafters is more than four years of consistently good.

I'm sorry but the guys in the rafters don't disappear in big games. Ejim had 3 pts and 3 fouls with 5 to play last night. And he was being a complete **** by staying away from contact. I can't imagine Fizer not wanting to be the man on a stage like tonight. Heck I'm not even convinced Ejim was the best player on our team. Kane had led the team all year and was by far and away the main target to the opponents defense scheme most nights.

He was the first player to play 4 years in a row at ISU is something like 15 years. I have a feeling a lot of our current freshmen and freshmen down the road will do the same (Niang). You can't hang everybody's number. Let's wait 10 years to see how many of those records still stand.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007

Grayer belong, not because he played a lot of games. Fizer will be in the rafters if/when he gets a degree.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
How often is a player's jersey hung during their Senior year or immediately following?

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Grayer belong, not because he played a lot of games. Fizer will be in the rafters if/when he gets a degree.

Is he not eligible if he didn't graduate, officially or unofficially?

Also, just curious what people's opinions are of Fizer and Vic getting up there. Their numbers stack up pretty well too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron