Gonzaga Rumors/Vote

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This isn't Gonzaga related but I saw some BYU fan on twitter state that ISU was the "only school that was against BYU joining the Big 12"
Which I don't think is true at all.... but I'm curious if anyone else saw/heard anything about that.

I'm with you I don't remember it .

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I saw an article last week that mentioned it is an 80/20 FB/BB split for media rights value. But with growth of streaming hoops value could increase.
If that's the split, basketball would account for about $6.3M/school/per year for the media deal. The NCAA Tournament units earned by current & future Big 12 3.0 members should be an additional $4M+/school/year (not sure if the Big 12 splits this evenly or if schools get a larger share of their units).

With that back of the envelope math, a BB only member would need to be counted on to grow conference revenues in somewhere in the neighborhood of $12M just to break even.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
That is a half baked plan it would be cool once so people go to NYC but after that it would be way overpriced and inconvenient and look like most other conference tournament games shown on TV being played in 1/4 filled arenas. Wasn't the B1G tourny there a couple of yrs ago with terrible crowds? Their tourney belongs in Indianapolis. The B12 in KC.
I agree, completely.

Just reported what I heard, I in no way like the idea.

Reactions: NWICY

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
How about just offering Gonzaga a scheduling alliance and not membership. Some type of revenue sharing for TV appearances. That way when Gonzaga figures out their status can't be maintained, they can ease out without anybody's feelings hurt. Gives at least a temporary boost to ratings for everyone.