Gonzaga Rumors/Vote

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I think the luster of Gonzaga goes away a decent amount if they go to the Big 12. They're used to wowing people with their 29-2 record because they don't play anyone.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I've been a Gonzaga defender for a long time with respect to their regular season performance and perceived lack of postseason success (emphasis on "perceived," they've really performed about as well relative to their seeds as you'd expect). But I do wonder if they'll have any similar level of success moving forward. Given Arizona's immediate success and Gonzaga falling a bit, I wonder if Tommy Lloyd was the genius behind the operation just as much or more than Mark Few was. I'm also curious how NIL affects them. I know some non-football schools like Creighton are able to be big players in the NIL game, but I don't know if Gonzaga has the donor base required to compete at that level.

As far as Gonzaga joining the Big 12, I do like the idea of even further elevating the Big 12 as the premier basketball conference. But if you do it, I agree with others that there should be a plan to pursue other similar schools that are non-football but can elevate basketball even more.

Clonefan420

Jan 30, 2023
I've been a Gonzaga defender for a long time with respect to their regular season performance and perceived lack of postseason success (emphasis on "perceived," they've really performed about as well relative to their seeds as you'd expect). But I do wonder if they'll have any similar level of success moving forward. Given Arizona's immediate success and Gonzaga falling a bit, I wonder if Tommy Lloyd was the genius behind the operation just as much or more than Mark Few was. I'm also curious how NIL affects them. I know some non-football schools like Creighton are able to be big players in the NIL game, but I don't know if Gonzaga has the donor base required to compete at that level.

As far as Gonzaga joining the Big 12, I do like the idea of even further elevating the Big 12 as the premier basketball conference. But if you do it, I agree with others that there should be a plan to pursue other similar schools that are non-football but can elevate basketball even more.
Gonzaga unlike every power 5 school has the luxury of basketball mailing it in the months of January and February. They only get tested a few times a year in conference play.

They get solid players but I can’t imagine they’d have as much success playing K-State on the road then playing Kansas the same week.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Gonzaga unlike every power 5 school has the luxury of basketball mailing it in the months of January and February. They only get tested a few times a year in conference play.

They get solid players but I can’t imagine they’d have as much success playing K-State on the road then playing Kansas the same week.

Let's just call this the UCF paradox and we can establish a long term case study in that area before jumping at adding teams like Gonzaga.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think the luster of Gonzaga goes away a decent amount if they go to the Big 12. They're used to wowing people with their 29-2 record because they don't play anyone.

They have two losses in WCC already. They’d be looking at 6-9 losses in b12 play.

I credit them for scheduling what is effectively a power 6 non conf season, but all the neutral event games are nothing like a big 12 punch you in the mouth season.

Arizona could potentially come in and give KU a run for prestige much easier than Gonzaga.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

Okay? So based on your earlier comments, are you saying that the reason Gonzaga underperformed in the NCAA tournament last year is that they never play anyone and weren't really that good, but if they perform well in the tournament, it's because they got to rest in January and February? If that's the case, what can they possibly do to impress you?

Yes, they would have more losses if they played in the Big 12. I don't think anyone would argue against that. But that doesn't mean they weren't ever good or deserving of the seeds they have gotten.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
That quote gives me Bane in dark knight rises vibes for some reason.
Someone photoshop Huggins in a Band mask. We were born in the dark (big 12)

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
They have two losses in WCC already. They’d be looking at 6-9 losses in b12 play.
You know 12-6 and winning a few Quad 1s in the non-conf would still be a 3 seed right?

I think we went 11-7 one year with Fred and still got 3 seed.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You know 12-6 and winning a few Quad 1s in the non-conf would still be a 3 seed right?

I think we went 11-7 one year with Fred and still got 3 seed.

Exactly. That's their high end in Big 12 this season imho.

Their low end is unranked 9-9 imho. Even that is being generous to Gonzaga, 2-4 losses in WCC could translate to something more like 7-11 in Big 12 play if the losses take a mental toll.

I'm not saying they'd suck this year.

I'm saying the days of going wire to wire in the top 10 all season are probably over if they go from WCC to the toughest conference schedule in the country.

Reactions: CyJack13

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I am not a fan of taking just Gonzaga.

But if the day comes for the Big12 to add schools like UA, ASU, UU, CU, UW and UO then adding Gonzaga as a member of the Big12 makes sense.

As fans we are looking at what happens on the field/court and what a school brings. Yormark has to consider that, but also the financial aspect. Also he's not only looking at what the Big12 needs to look like in 2025 but also have a vision of what it should look like in 2030 or 2035. His job is to turn the Big12 from the early 1960's version of the AFL into the 1970's version of the AFC.

Just because the SEC conference dominates today, doesn't mean that has to be the case in 5 or 10 years. Expanding the Big12 footprint to include FL, OH and UT was huge! The potential to add Pac12 schools would further cement the Big12's presence (and hopefully dominance) west of the Mississippi. And hopefully allows the Big12 to narrow the TV Rights gap between the Big12 and SEC/Big10 when the next round of negotiations occurs around 2030.

IMO if the media rights values of the Big12 & Pac12 are close, doesn't it make sense for the Big12 to merge with all (or most) of the Pac10? It didn't hurt the NFL to have equal revenue sharing and two conferences- AFC and NFC. Why couldn't Yormark create a super "league" comprised of 2 conferences, the Big12 and Pac10?

Last edited:
Reactions: CascadeClone

Clonefan420

Jan 30, 2023
Okay? So based on your earlier comments, are you saying that the reason Gonzaga underperformed in the NCAA tournament last year is that they never play anyone and weren't really that good, but if they perform well in the tournament, it's because they got to rest in January and February? If that's the case, what can they possibly do to impress you?

Yes, they would have more losses if they played in the Big 12. I don't think anyone would argue against that. But that doesn't mean they weren't ever good or deserving of the seeds they have gotten.
I think you have me mistaken for someone else. My other comment was about how they don’t have a football team.

Them having the ability to rest for 2 months gives them an advantage with seeding. That is a fact. Now, that can also be a reason for their post season failure as they aren’t thrown through the ringer like big 12 teams.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
This isn't Gonzaga related but I saw some BYU fan on twitter state that ISU was the "only school that was against BYU joining the Big 12"
Which I don't think is true at all.... but I'm curious if anyone else saw/heard anything about that.

Sunday scheduling is my primary complaint.

The addition of BYU has already forced the 2024 Big 12 WBB tournament to start a day earlier than it would have (in order to have an off-day on Sunday, smack in the middle of the tournament).

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Sunday scheduling is my primary complaint.

The addition of BYU has already forced the 2024 Big 12 WBB tournament to start a day earlier than it would have (in order to have an off-day on Sunday, smack in the middle of the tournament).

I don’t want to cave it but my thing is if the university is actually following through on ideals or living a hypocrisy where other people have to work for them on sundays.

I had some Mormon friends growing up who would just stay home and clean the house every Sunday and read. Actually respected it a lot, they didn’t require others to work for them on sundays. I had another Christian friend at same time who wouldn’t work on sundays but would go to movies, restaurants, shopping with all sorts of people working for him. Imho that is bs.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I don’t want to cave it but my thing is if the university is actually following through on ideals or living a hypocrisy where other people have to work for them on sundays.

I had some Mormon friends growing up who would just stay home and clean the house every Sunday and read. Actually respected it a lot, they didn’t require others to work for them on sundays. I had another Christian friend at same time who wouldn’t work on sundays but would go to movies, restaurants, shopping with all sorts of people working for him. Imho that is bs.
Had a friend that taught at BYU for a while. Only thing open on Sunday are dining services for on campus students and the library is open every other Sunday for limited hours. The church will also open some buildings for tours on select holidays when they've got large crowds at the LDS Center around holidays.

It's not a life that I truly understand but they, more or less, appear to practice what they preach.

Reactions: HFCS