Geno Smith

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Depends on your definition of sucker punch. Some people use that term to describe any unannounced attack.

There also has been no confirmation that the punch came immediately after the finger in the face, only that the finger "led to" the punch. Geno could have wag his finger in the guy's face and walked away, only to be jacked shortly afterward. That would definitely be a sucker punch. The details we have don't let us know exactly what happened, but it has been described as a sucker punch by the coach.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Yes, it depends. If you are putting your finger in someone's face during an argument you had better be ready for it to escalate in my book.

Pretty sure parents and coaches do this all the time without getting punched. You guys might not like Smith, but he is the starting quarterback and is a guy who might need to get in a teammate's face every now and then. If this guy can't handle that, he's in the wrong line of work.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Pretty sure parents and coaches do this all the time without getting punched. You guys might not like Smith, but he is the starting quarterback and is a guy who might need to get in a teammate's face every now and then. If this guy can't handle that, he's in the wrong line of work.

Sounds like it might be more about Smith renegging on his debts rather than about a starting QB needing to get in the face of a teammate for the good of the team.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yes, it depends. If you are putting your finger in someone's face during an argument you had better be ready for it to escalate in my book.

I think the proper escalation scale rules call for you to first break or dislocate the offending finger. After that you can than punch if needed.

:smile:

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
JQIHBRKIEEDWEBM.20090624171315.jpg

"Karma *****!"

lakesbison

Jul 14, 2009
Jets contact former NDSU QB Brock Jensen. Jets getting desperate now! *he was backup at Ottawa in CFL*

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
From wiki, it sounds like Geno picked the wrong guy to wrong: When Enemkpali was 19, he punched a police officer during a bar fight before being subdued with pepper spray and a stun gun. Enemkpali was later charged with simple battery, placed on 13 months' probation, and ordered to complete 32 hours of community service and an anger-management course.[SUP][5]
[/SUP]

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

I don't know, when I played, that would fly if the quarterback was balling out an offensive lineman or running back, but the offensive players don't ball out defensive players or vice versa. You let the leader of that group take care of that.

As ridiculous as that sounds, on a lot of football teams, the offense and defense don't interact a whole lot, and a defensive player isn't going to respect a quarterback a whole lot unless it's somone like a Manning, Brady or Rodgers.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Where is/was Geno's o-line? If the o-line had any respect for Geno, they would have knocked this dude out, or at least been standing 5-wide behind Geno during the argument.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron