***General Cycling Thread***

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
At $1500, consider used. No shame in that either.

This, I picked up a $1800 Salsa used for $899. Only had a few hundred miles on it, and after a $75 tune up, it was like brand new.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I live in DSM and looking at getting into riding as well. I know someone already mentioned Kyle's Bikes in Ankeny. Any other good local places you recommend around here who can educate and help me find a quality bike?

Kyles, go there, they are awesome.

Reactions: CloneAttack

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The Covid-19 stuff isn't going to help with not overinvesting in bike clothes. This summers World Naked Bike Ride's have been cancelled for 2020. :rolleyes:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I haven’t read the whole thread and have been out of serious biking for awhile so I just have to ask the question. What’s the appeal of the bikes with the super wide tires? Is it just an increased workout?

You can ride in snow or on sand, and it makes gravel roads feel like butter. But it is an insane amount of work.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Was kinda glad I opted for my hybrid and it's 700x30 tires today rather than my road bike. Damn, the shoulders on Cedar Lake Road and Plymouth Road west of Mpls were brutal. Was worried about getting into some of the pavement crevasses and augering in. Would have been worse with narrower tires. As it was I shook the hell out myself. Using the hybrid to explore some alternate routes for road biking since I am avoiding my way too crowded normal routes (social-distancing).

On the plus side the car traffic is light with so many peeps working from home and so much retail closed. Although one right turning dude did try to run me over when I was in the bike lane. One of those shared bike lane/right turn lanes that dudes cannot seem to understand. I figured he'd try and run me over and he tried.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
I have no idea where to start on clothing. I do some indoor biking so I do have some shorts but I have nothing else. I'm just going to have to feel that stuff out. One thing I don't want to do is cheapen myself into hating the hobby so I'm toeing a line here.

I always wear regular shorts and a t-shirt.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
What a bunch of wienies! I ride my old one speed on the trails in Western Iowa. Uphill all the way and no seat. ;) Boomers are tougher than you think.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
What's everyone's opinion on riding on 2 lane highways? I live in a really hilly part of Iowa and have had way too many close calls cresting hills with my car. If another car was coming my direction any of those times I would have killed someone.

Feeling unsafe is the reason I won't bike like everyone else in my family. Sorry for the derail.
I ride them, but I chose the safer roads...i guess that is relative. Example, the road from Runnels to Monroe, is dangerous. Main road for those headed to red rock with thier boats...too many close calls I been a part of and have seen..

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Thanks. I don't think I'll be going used because nothing nearby seems to be available in what I'm looking for. I think I have a line on a new Checkpoint 4 that I'm just trying to talk myself into right now as it's a little more than I hoped to spend but I think it's exactly what I want and won't put me in a spot where I'm taking a beating next year because I tried to save a few hundred bucks.

I have no idea where to start on clothing. I do some indoor biking so I do have some shorts but I have nothing else. I'm just going to have to feel that stuff out. One thing I don't want to do is cheapen myself into hating the hobby so I'm toeing a line here.

Can’t go wrong with a CheckPoint, a friend rides one and loves it. SIAP you were looking at a CAADX which is one I’ve always had interest in but haven’t been around one. I don’t think you can do wrong with either.

For clothes my advice is to invest in good liners which others have already said. That is the one area don’t ever go cheap. I personally wear liner shorts underneath some baggier shorts that are either bike specific from brands like Specialized or PI and other times it’s just my plain old Prana hiking shorts over my liner. I personally hate cycling jerseys but will wear the more casual cycling shirts If they fit. Generally I just wear either hiking t-shirts or button downs. I’ve switched away from clips and have gone to big flat pedals, that’s just my preference based on the riding I do. 90% of my group clips in and it works perfect for them.

One other piece of advice that ties where the bike and clothing meet is to upgrade the saddle. Most bikes come with a cheaper general use saddle. Work with your bike shop to find one that fits you, your ass will appreciate it.

Like myself and others have already said just find what fits you and your style of riding. Most of my riding is just trying to get lost for the day or weekend. Which generally means I’m carrying bags that can be carrying anything from beer, hammock, camping gear, fishing gear, etc based on whether I’m doing a fun downtown ride with friends to going bike packing/fishing on a multi night trip. Over the years my clothes have evolved to match my riding which is very different from where I started.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Thanks. I don't think I'll be going used because nothing nearby seems to be available in what I'm looking for. I think I have a line on a new Checkpoint 4 that I'm just trying to talk myself into right now as it's a little more than I hoped to spend but I think it's exactly what I want and won't put me in a spot where I'm taking a beating next year because I tried to save a few hundred bucks.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tour-bib-short

My brother gave me a pair of these (he's been an avid cyclist for a long time) and it's my #1 most important piece of cycling gear. You don't get any belt line chaffing or nipple chaffing (these are both real things in endurance sports), you get significant seat padding, and you can adjust the rest of your clothing around it. Want to wear something baggier? Perfect. Want to wear cycling jerseys and what not? Go for it. Either way, this thing will fit under it and keep you comfortable. I bought another set of bibs that were cheaper, but they aren't as good as the Giant ones.

I've personally gravitated towards cycling jerseys, because I like the back pockets. I can have my phone, wallet, water bottle, etc in there. I realize there are ways to attach all of these things safely to your bike, but I like the convenience. Especially if you stop somewhere on a more social ride. Plus, it's kind of fun to collect different jerseys. I have an ISU one (posted up thread), a Pulpit Rock one, a New Glarus one, and a Cresco Bicycles one.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

84 grad

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
After years of riding my wife and I both got a Domane SL5 a couple years ago. It's more than you stated as your budget but it gave us the flexibility we were looking for as we started to get older and cared more about doing longer rides than faster rides. It has a carbon frame and both front and rear IsoSpeed which we feel helps smooth the rides out. It has 700x32 tires (smooth) on it so larger than a fast road bike. I can also put all-terrain tires on it if I would like for gravel but that doesn't really appeal to us. We put racks on them for panniers and have done a couple week long pack and ride trips (with a hotel night in the middle of the week to get the wife to agree) hauling everything but our food.

There's a bike for whatever you want to do.

I just got this bike also and I love it. very comfortable and a nice ride. I bought mine used 2019 for $1500.00

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I’ve been talked in to cycling today as well. Hope the OP hasn’t gone too far down the rabbit hole. PULL THE TRIGGER

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
OP on first ride through the pleasant countryside...

hqdefault.jpg

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
I absolutely hate it and avoid it at all costs. 1 driver staring at their phone at the wrong time and it's curtains. Hard pass. I'm a pu$$.
This is the truth. I do a lot of walking with the dog and I always thought the % of phone distracted drivers was 50%. I think the number is closer to 75%. It is also not only the younger drivers. The distracted phone use while driving does not discriminate against age.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
This is the truth. I do a lot of walking with the dog and I always thought the % of phone distracted drivers was 50%. I think the number is closer to 75%. It is also not only the younger drivers. The distracted phone use while driving does not discriminate against age.

I've found middle age women in large SUVs are the worst offenders. Younger people know how bluetooth works.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The CAADX 105 has entered the chat. From what I've read the cycling community looks VERY favorably on the 105 components vs Tiagra, correct?
105 is good stuff. Tiagra is, as well, but I'd go for 105 unless it is cost prohibitive. It's usually not much of a price leap and it's good stuff.