Field at Jack Trice

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
ISU should build a system like the Arizona Cardinals. That would be sweet.
Kramer-What.gif

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Our coaches or opposing?
Campbell. Heard from someone with the football program and it was repeated by some high level donors who would know in Maui. If the field conditions don't improve significantly discussions have been had about changing the field to an artificial surface.

From the donor, it sounded like the field was redone during Arnaud's tenure and they expect to get 5 or 6 years from it. We got 10 last time or something like that.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Campbell. Heard from someone with the football program and it was repeated by some high level donors who would know in Maui. If the field conditions don't improve significantly discussions have been had about changing the field to an artificial surface.

Don't do it CMC! That would be a terrible move.

This year players have been slipping like crazy on our field, that is true, but we had really crazy weather this fall. Football was meant to be played on natural grass. And ISU is not usually going to have a speed advantage over other Big 12 teams anyway.

Reactions: DarkStar and Go2Guy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It also looks ugly on Television, The natural grass looks dull, especially when it gets cold, makes the stadium look poor

I know I'm crazy, but I loved how the field looked last night.... mostly brown grass. That's how it's supposed to look in late November in the midwest. That's football! If you want a perfect field and no wind, and no cold, etc..... you have to build a dome. Yuck.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: flycy and isufbcurt

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Yes the field is in rough shape right now but we have not had a typical fall either. Colder that normal and few days with sun. For the time of year and year we have had the field could be in a lot worse shape. No need to change the surface for maybe one game a year.

When do you just resod? That stuff has a lifespan.

Reactions: Go2Guy

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
I know I'm crazy, but I loved how the field looked last night.... mostly brown grass. That's how it's supposed to look in late November in the midwest. That's football! If you want a perfect field and no wind, and no cold, etc..... you have to build a dome. Yuck.

That look is nice for a High School stadium, We are a Power 5 Stadium.

The Kinnick field looks way better in the Fall. Our dull grass really cheapens the look. At least GMO the grass to make it look greener or something. :D

Young Recruits are looking at this on Television.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

From the donor, it sounded like the field was redone during Arnaud's tenure and they expect to get 5 or 6 years from it. We got 10 last time or something like that.

JP can stretch a nickel.....

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The first iteration of the grass field was supposed to last 4-6 years, and it lasted 12 thanks mainly to the professionals who maintain it.

This iteration is on season 11. Assuming there were technological improvements between 1996 and 2008, this field is probably good for a couple more years. And, they may want to wait until all of the north end construction is done before redoing the playing surface anyway.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
That look is nice for a High School stadium, We are a Power 5 Stadium.

The Kinnick field looks way better in the Fall. Our dull grass really cheapens the look.

Young Recruits are looking at this on Television.

It will be a sad day for ISU when we go to Field Turf. Our turf team at ISU is one of the best in the country and is a program at ISU.

But if fake, plastic grass, with black rubber crap in it that increases injuries is where it's at, well, I don't know what to say?

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
It will be a sad day for ISU when we go to Field Turf. Our turf team at ISU is one of the best in the country and is a program at ISU.

But if fake, plastic grass, with black rubber crap in it that increases injuries is where it's at, well, I don't know what to say?

I dont know what the Answer is, We spent a lot of money on the stadium to bring it to P5 standards, but the Grass, which is the focal point on TV, looks terrible. Do something before we go 4k :D

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone and flycy

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
ISU should build a system like the Arizona Cardinals. That would be sweet.

What do we do, run it on rails to Florida, then speed it back to Ames in game day?

What good does leaving it outside to the then move it outside do? If you have ideas to counter act nature I’m sure Green Bay and Chicago would love to buy your ideas.

If you were a 12 year old kid posting this, I’m sorry for being an ass.

Reactions: Cydkar

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

The field last night looked like **** and was a piece of ****. I actually thought I was back at my high school with the field conditions.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Football should be played on grass. I think it looks fine, even in Nov. You know what looks bad - that black fake-turf dust that sprays up when players drag their feet. Don't change the Jack turf!
Besides - why do donors care if it's grass ??

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Aren't they finding that artificial turf may be more risky for injury?

Also, our field turf management crew does an amazing job given the conditions they work with. Follow them on Twitter (twitter.com/cycloneturf) to see what it takes to prep the field every week and post-game.

If you want to see **** field conditions, watch a game at Northwestern.

They aren't "finding" this - they've known this for a very long time. I remember doing a report in speech class in middle school when the Davenport School District was talking about putting artificial turf in Brady Street Stadium (not really a surprise now that I look back at it - it hosts all of St. Ambrose's home games as well as all the home games for Davenport North, West, Central, and all the middle schools - by the end of the year it wasn't a field, it was a mudpit, and that stadium has now had artificial turf for years). Anyway, the injuries just from planting and/or making a cut could be horrific - dislocated hips, blown out knees, broken bones, etc. So bad that one receiver, just from making a routine catch, injured himself so badly they found his kneecaps in his thighs.

That being said, that was on Astroturf (and related surfaces). Artificial surfaces today, such as the latest generations of FieldTurf and whatever it is Astroturf now puts out, are much safer. The splash park near our home actually uses an artificial turf in its picnic areas and you'd be suprised how "real" it looks and feels. That being said, compared to a well-maintained natural surface like what Jack Trice Stadium has, artificial turf is still riskier to play on. However, compare this to what Heinz Field or the LA Coliseum looks like now, or when the Oakland Coliseum is still sharing the playing field with both the A's and Raiders - at that point it's probably safer to play on an artificial surface than to play on a natural field in that bad of shape.

And, for the record, I am of the opinion that in most situations football should be played on grass. Heinz Field, however, should be changed over to an artificial surface as they cannot maintain grass in that stadium.

Reactions: Go2Guy