F1 2023 Discussion

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
What are y'all thinking about the two different qualifying sessions for the sprint and GP this weekend?
Not sure I dig it or not yet. Really did enjoy last years sprint weekend format.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
What are y'all thinking about the two different qualifying sessions for the sprint and GP this weekend?
Not sure I dig it or not yet. Really did enjoy last years sprint weekend format.
It may make the sprint more exciting, you don’t have to worry about screwing your race position by being too aggressive in the sprint race. Though it seems like the bottom half teams have no real incentive in the sprint race now.

I don’t mind trying new things, not sure if this is going to be great but I’ll have to see it first.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
So is it sprint qual, sprint, race qual, race? I'm for more racing, we'll see how it goes with slightly different stakes now.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
So is it sprint qual, sprint, race qual, race? I'm for more racing, we'll see how it goes with slightly different stakes now.
Race qualifying is before all the sprint stuff. So it's practice and race qualifying on Friday, sprint qualifying and sprint race on Saturday, race Sunday.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Finally back this week. Seems like forever since they last raced.
Yeah, my wife and I were talking about this. They make such a big deal about the "Summer Break" but that is 3 weeks (I know officially there is supposed to be no work from teams at all). It's been a month since the last race. I really have no idea what goes on inside F1 teams and day to day operations, but from my poor perspective, instead of having a month off here, three weeks off there. I'd rather they get rid of the back to back weekends and just do a season of every other weekend. I guess I can see back to backs when you do the North American stretch, but it just seems so random.

I'm not that into the inner workings to find out why they have the breaks that they do, just seems a little odd to me.

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
Yeah, my wife and I were talking about this. They make such a big deal about the "Summer Break" but that is 3 weeks (I know officially there is supposed to be no work from teams at all). It's been a month since the last race. I really have no idea what goes on inside F1 teams and day to day operations, but from my poor perspective, instead of having a month off here, three weeks off there. I'd rather they get rid of the back to back weekends and just do a season of every other weekend. I guess I can see back to backs when you do the North American stretch, but it just seems so random.

I'm not that into the inner workings to find out why they have the breaks that they do, just seems a little odd to me.

I believe the 3 weeks off recently was due to the Chinese GP being cancelled. Someone please correct me if im wrong.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I believe the 3 weeks off recently was due to the Chinese GP being cancelled. Someone please correct me if im wrong.
Thats correct, they were not supposed to be off for this long. China cancelled the GP, so they were left with a gap they couldn't fill in the calendar, and now they race like 5 of the next 6 weekends or something crazy like that. I am sure that will help teams stay under the cost cap.

Reactions: StormnClone58

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Thats correct, they were not supposed to be off for this long. China cancelled the GP, so they were left with a gap they couldn't fill in the calendar, and now they race like 5 of the next 6 weekends or something crazy like that. I am sure that will help teams stay under the cost cap.

I love a race every weekend but it has to be brutal on the teams. I assume most of them are tearing down the day after a race and have to be setting up at the next track by Wednesday?

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I love a race every weekend but it has to be brutal on the teams. I assume most of them are tearing down the day after a race and have to be setting up at the next track by Wednesday?
I do know, it's not even a next day thing. It's immediately after the race everything starts getting dismantled.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

There's a couple of videos on youtube about the logistics. As soon as the checkered flag drops they are starting to tear stuff down and pack up. Crazy amount of logistics. I think each team has like 4 (or 6?) sets of pit equipment that are constantly getting moved from location to location. Especially the stuff that has to go sea freight to places like Australia and Brazil.

Not to mention that the teams essentially completely assemble the car onsite starting on Wednesday of race week at the race location.

Reactions: Bigman38

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I mean, this trek is Baku, Miami, Italy, Monaco, Spain and Canada by June . Only two week breaks are leading into Italy and going to Canada. Not sure why Miami and Canada aren’t closer together without anything in between.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Well Ferrari has that quali pace back apparently. Doubt they'll be there on race pace of course, but seemed like a massive sigh of relief from Leclerc to have something go well finally this season haha.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I officially do not like something that actually matters, like race qualifying, being on a Friday. Do the sprint race on Friday if anything.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan94

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I officially do not like something that actually matters, like race qualifying, being on a Friday. Do the sprint race on Friday if anything.
I'm going to assume that Saturday attendance on these races that are getting the sprints have not been what F1 was hoping for. I base it on what I heard, that the Sprint Race format this year has been set up to give the fans more excitement on Saturday. Basically, to make mid pack to low teams actually fight for positions and gain points, rather than just sit back and save the car. I don't see how this actually works, considering the race format is set.

I didn't mind the sprint race format last year, but still wasn't crazy about it. This year it seems even more a waste of time and goes against what F1 claims to be doing, reducing costs and carbon footprint.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I've been thinking about the new format a bit and I'm not entirely sure where I stand until I see it play out a couple times. Could swap the sprint and race qualis, I guess it comes down to would you rather have more data for the sprint quali or the race quali? I think they should do something completely crazy to make the stand-alone sprint race unique. Like P1 and P2 on friday, quali on saturday followed by sprint race set by reverse points standing order? Give racers at the bottom a better chance to earn points? IDK, most teams wouldn't like it, but it would be a unique one-off spectacle.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Track is definitely living up to it's rep of eating up cars. Good to see someone other than a red bull on top, hopefully Leclerc can race with them too.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Want to make the sprint race really interesting? Make the spring race starting positions be the inverse of either the drivers championship points or the race qualifying order. Lets see just how fast and good the front runners actually are. Or maybe just draw names out of a hat. It would give the mid and back ranked drivers something to strive for during the sprint other than just not crashing.

Friday - Two practice sessions
Saturday - Race qualifying & Sprint Race with an inverted grid.

Now, it might just turn to chaos and wreck a lot of cars or the top tier guys might just slow roll around the track trying not to get into trouble.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron