Expectations for 2020-2021 season

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I think most of us can agree that this season was a massive disappointment. Barring a miracle run in Kansas City, there likely will be no post-season play for us.

Reasons for optimism:
Solomon Young has taken a step forward. Hopefully he can continue to improve his game in the offseason and go out with a good senior season.

Bolton has shown he can be a good guard. He needs to work on turning it over less, and become a more efficient scorer.

With some experience now, hopefully Grill and Jackson can make some big improvements and become threats from the outside. Conditt has the physical tools to be one of the better big men in the Big 12; hopefully he can play to his potential.

Adding Javan Johnson should help. Has good size at 6'6; did shoot 43% from 3 his freshman year, but it dropped to 35% his sophomore year. Hines recently said on a podcast that he looked good on the offense during a coupe of practices he watched. Hopefully he can get his 3 point shot to over 40% again next year and use his length to help defensively.

Bringing in 4 freshman that have good upside, and good size (three at 6'5, one at 7'0).

Reasons for pessimism:
Tyrese will most likely be playing in the NBA a year from now; not easy to replace a talent like that.

A lot of guys are going to have to make major improvements, and we will need our freshman to make big impacts right away if we want to get back to the NCAA tournament.

Who will play PG? Jaden Walker is a PG, but he'll be a true freshman and an unknown at this point. Not sure I feel great about Bolton or Jackson running the point.

My expectation is always to make the tournament, and I'm not changing that expectation. A lot of things are going to have to go right for this to happen; lets hope they can do it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Instead of hoping I'm going to expect roles to be defined earlier in the season. I think it's to a point where that aspect needs to improve for the program to be sustainable.

• Agree
Reactions: KKramer

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
My expectation is always to make the tournament, and I'm not changing that expectation. A lot of things are going to have to go right for this to happen; lets hope they can do it.

This is comforting to hear. My concern is that people will eventually bend their expectations in an attempt to give Prohm the benefit of the doubt, to the point where this fan base is no longer expecting an NCAA Tournament birth each year.

That should always be the goal and expectation of this program.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Expectation is we need to be back in the tournament. I'll wait to see what our roster looks like before I predict it.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad and huntt26

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Expectations will change if we can get a juco/grad transfer pg that is atleast an upper 30's 3 pt shooter. I think Walker will be a really good player for us but we really need a proven guy while he gets his feet wet. If all the recruits do come, there will be pretty big improvements through the year as they are a really talented group. Guessing 5-6 in conference standings. We will have shot at the tournament with a proven guard in that scenario. No proven guard that makes this team better and Im guessing 9th in conference and real talk about CSP not being here which would kill recruiting if he is still here. Very interesting how much could change in the next year.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
I expect ISU to be better next year, even if Haliburton goes to the NBA, which I expect. Young and Bolton are solid Big 12 players and hopefully a couple others will improve enough where the same can be said about them. Plus, Johnson and the incoming freshman should provide a boost. Eight to nine conference wins is definitely within reach in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Same as my want for every yr make the dance. Seeding etc... don't care just make the dance.

• Agree

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm figuring on quite a bit of turnover. Haliburton gone. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few other guys look at other options. What he's going to do with those additional scholarships will be huge.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I am actually encouraged by what Jackson has shown the conference season. Hasn’t quite found where he fits in the offense yet, but competes defensively and has started to hit a fair share of open 3s.

I agree. If there is one positive from this season it would be his development.

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
Expectations will change if we can get a juco/grad transfer pg that is atleast an upper 30's 3 pt shooter. I think Walker will be a really good player for us but we really need a proven guy while he gets his feet wet. If all the recruits do come, there will be pretty big improvements through the year as they are a really talented group. Guessing 5-6 in conference standings. We will have shot at the tournament with a proven guard in that scenario. No proven guard that makes this team better and Im guessing 9th in conference and real talk about CSP not being here which would kill recruiting if he is still here. Very interesting how much could change in the next year.
We need another Deandre Kane who can run the team, provide leadership and toughness and just be a little nasty.

• Creative