Expectations for 2020-2021 season

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
My expectations are: finish in the top 6 of the Big 12 and make the Tournament. No excuse not to expect such every year at Iowa State.

My expectations for what will happen: finish below 0.500 in the Big 12, miss the Tournament.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Prohm needs to absolutely hit a couple home runs in the transfer department for us to go anywhere.
He's not great at the short, quick recruitments like you commonly see in the spring. He's a great recruiter when he gets years to establish a relationship (Wigginton, THT, Foster) but he can't seem to pull off home runs when he only gets a month or so to woo them.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
As others have said, the staff absolutely needs to hone in on a grad transfer point guard, that's priority #1. I don't hate what Bolton has done at PG since Haliburton went down, but he's much more suited off the ball. Walker will probably see some minutes early in the year, which will probably determine his viability come conference play. Jackson has improved, but needs to get bigger. If Caleb Grill can get the lid off the basket he will be a quality option off the bench.

Young, Foster and Conditt is a pretty good core in the interior.

The biggest question is what the wing positions look like. At this point I'm not sure we can rely on Prohm giving Terrence Lewis minutes, and I don't know what to expect with Zion Griffin or Javan Johnson. Maybe Blackwell is ready to contribute right away?

As others have alluded, this is the biggest offseason for Prohm at Iowa State. He needs to land a guy or two, and guys we have absolutely need to improve.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and Cyclad

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I posted this on the 247 board and thought it was interesting as far as Xavier Foster next year.
Foster will be the 5th highest rated recruit to sign with ISU in the 247 era. Here is the freshman stats of the previous top 5:

Brackins- 11.4pts 5rbs 1.3ast

Lindell- 16.7pts 3.7rbs 2.8ast

THT- 11.8pts 4.9rbs 2.3ast

Matt Thomas- 5.5pts 2.1rbs 1.1ast

Georges- 12.1pts 4.6tbs 1.8ast

I think very realistic expectations for Foster next are 11pts 5rbs 2ast

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I posted this on the 247 board and thought it was interesting as far as Xavier Foster next year.
Foster will be the 5th highest rated recruit to sign with ISU in the 247 era. Here is the freshman stats of the previous top 5:

Brackins- 11.4pts 5rbs 1.3ast

Lindell- 16.7pts 3.7rbs 2.8ast

THT- 11.8pts 4.9rbs 2.3ast

Matt Thomas- 5.5pts 2.1rbs 1.1ast

Georges- 12.1pts 4.6tbs 1.8ast

I think very realistic expectations for Foster next are 11pts 5rbs 2ast
I hope you're right. That seems like the upper end of expectations.

Freshmen are always a gamble, no matter how much scouting you do. Foster is ranked high, but I will also point out, that of that group, I believe he is the only one that dropped in the rankings leading up to his signing. Not sure it means anything, but I could see a scenario where it turns out he isn't as ready to contribute right away, as some of those others.

Blackwell is the one that may surprise, in terms of being Big 12 ready. Especially if he can be as physical as advertised. I would argue that physicality on defense, and in the paint, is what next year's team will need most. If Blackwell can provide that, he'll see plenty of minutes.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I hope you're right. That seems like the upper end of expectations.

Freshmen are always a gamble, no matter how much scouting you do. Foster is ranked high, but I will also point out, that of that group, I believe he is the only one that dropped in the rankings leading up to his signing. Not sure it means anything, but I could see a scenario where it turns out he isn't as ready to contribute right away, as some of those others.

Blackwell is the one that may surprise, in terms of being Big 12 ready. Especially if he can be as physical as advertised. I would argue that physicality on defense, and in the paint, is what next year's team will need most. If Blackwell can provide that, he'll see plenty of minutes.

You would be incorrect. Lindell and THT both dropped spots before signing.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think the main thing is you need development from the guys already here. Jackson, Bolton, Grill, Conditt, Young and Johnson. If you get that, then they will have a chance. I think at least one freshman will make an impact and then maybe hope you can land a JUCO or grad transfer that can add something. Not expecting them to land a star transfer but I think if all goes well they can improve on this season. I would love for them to make the tournament next year but I just don't see it. But I think they need to at least make the NIT and then look to being in the tournament the next year. They were one player away this year from being a bubble team.

• Creative
Reactions: cyrulean

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
You would be incorrect. Lindell and THT both dropped spots before signing.
I'm talking over their last couple prep seasons.

Lindell was initially 32, and signed at 35.
Tht was as low as 228 in sept. 2017, climbed to as high as 52, and signed at 57.
Foster was ranked 21st two years ago, and signed at 60.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I'm talking over their last couple prep seasons.

Lindell was initially 32, and signed at 35.
Tht was as low as 228 in sept. 2017, climbed to as high as 52, and signed at 57.
Foster was ranked 21st two years ago, and signed at 60.

One thing that has hurt Foster is that he was hurt during a large portion of the AAU season.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I think the main thing is you need development from the guys already here. Jackson, Bolton, Grill, Conditt, Young and Johnson. If you get that, then they will have a chance. I think at least one freshman will make an impact and then maybe hope you can land a JUCO or grad transfer that can add something. Not expecting them to land a star transfer but I think if all goes well they can improve on this season. I would love for them to make the tournament next year but I just don't see it. But I think they need to at least make the NIT and then look to being in the tournament the next year. They were one player away this year from being a bubble team.

Agree with those go forward players you mentioned, they are the core going forward. I would like TL and ZG to be there as well, but we’ll see. Conditt needs the biggest jump, because right now he’s a tweener. He’s not a bruiser, gets knocked off his spot to easily and lacks a go to move in big 12 play...he’s also not a stretch 5 and shows no consistency to hit a 15 ft or beyond. So what’s he going to be?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Agree with those go forward players you mentioned, they are the core going forward. I would like TL and ZG to be there as well, but we’ll see. Conditt needs the biggest jump, because right now he’s a tweener. He’s not a bruiser, gets knocked off his spot to easily and lacks a go to move in big 12 play...he’s also not a stretch 5 and shows no consistency to hit a 15 ft or beyond. So what’s he going to be?

Yeah he needs to work on his post game and work on knocking down 10-15 foot jumper.

MTCyclone43

Feb 22, 2016
If one listened to Fran Fraschilla's comments last night during the Kansas game when he responded to the question from Bob Wischusen concerning Iowa State next season. Fran said unless they get a couple of good grad transfers they cannot compete in the Big 12 with freshmen. He then went into the examples of Baylor, Texas Tech, etc... winning with older teams. I tend to respect Fran's knowledge of the league; therefore, If graduate help does not arrive ISU will miss the tourney again next year.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
If one listened to Fran Fraschilla's comments last night during the Kansas game when he responded to the question from Bob Wischusen concerning Iowa State next season. Fran said unless they get a couple of good grad transfers they cannot compete in the Big 12 with freshmen. He then went into the examples of Baylor, Texas Tech, etc... winning with older teams. I tend to respect Fran's knowledge of the league; therefore, If graduate help does not arrive ISU will miss the tourney again next year.
Kobe King would help alot as well.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Prohm's had a really unlucky combination and bad timing for really good players leaving early or busting on freshmen that never really develop at any point.

It is ultimately his fault, yes, but most a few players around 1-2 years to stagger the talent gaps or have one or two of the early departures stick around, and this roster looks really different and we are probably at least competitive right now.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
We are missing a leader on this team. Will be interesting who steps forward...and can actually deliver.