ESPN2 Crew

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
SIAP

I don't usually pay much attention to the commentators, but yesterday was pure torture. I usually like Benetti, but the endless anecdotes and storylines were annoying. I know those are intended for people that don't know the teams, but holy ****, we couldn't go two plays without a story.

I don't know who the analyst was, but he liked to hear himself talk. Loudly. I like to pump up the volume a little bit during the game, but had to turn it down because he only had one volume. And his constant harping on Park. My favorite was when Butler broke open and Park put it right on his numbers between three defenders. Butler drops an easy pass and somehow this douche blames Park. He called most of the game from Iowa's perspective, which can be expected at times, but he seemed to be gritting his teeth when complimenting Iowa State.

Did we establish that they weren't in the stadium? I know it was ESPN2, but that was one of the worst broadcasts I've seen on that network. I know it's cliche to ***** about the commentators, but wanted to see if it was more of a me issue or if others noticed the same.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
I also can't stand when they cut away to show a 1-play highlight of another game in between a 2nd and 3rd down play during another game. Cant they cut in 10 seconds early before or after a commercial. I think once or twice we missed the beginning of a play because they were showing some worthless Louisville highlight.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
And after the face mask, the penalty got assessed on the kickoff. And we short kicked it because we knew they would probably have a penalty on it.

It wasn't about possibly being able to get down there faster because we started 15 yards further up field.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
"Iowa State hasn't even tried running the ball" while Montgomery was already over 100 yards.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I was at a tailgate party and was not in charge of the remote and so stuck listening to those TOE announcers. One time they said Number 23, Montgomery and then changed it to 22 or something like that. Just babbled the whole game and I'm not sure they were even watching the game. It was frustrating enough watching our chances slip away and then to listen to complete _____ oh you well you finish the sentence.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
FIFY (seriously - he called him Jacob Parker the entire game).

I would honestly have had Beth Mowins call our game yesterday. Seriously.

He threw a couple Parks in there as well for good measure. I don't understand it. Park is incredibly easy to remember. These guys prepare all week. How do you screw up the quarterback's very basic name?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
He threw a couple Parks in there as well for good measure. I don't understand it. Park is incredibly easy to remember. These guys prepare all week. How do you screw up the quarterback's very basic name?

They were busy research Iowa all week, not Iowa State. Park was constantly ridiculed, but Stanley was hardly ever. They didn't dwell on Stanley constantly overthrown his receivers.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

That's what the best or good announcers do. What makes you think these guys did more than some minimal prep and read some notes on ISU/Iowa anecdotes over breakfast. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
It will be more fun, when we learn how to hold onto a two score lead late in the game.

I agree completely...when this football program gets to the point that when ****iowa comes to town and loses, all this drivel from espn or whomever telecasts the game will END....

Until then and only then will this Bull**** stop.....

Winning gains Respect will losing to ****iowa only gains Scorn and DisRespect.....

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I like Bennetti and his story. Hes a pretty dang good announcer, IMO, and I dont think he was bad yesterday at all. That Kelley guy on the other hand was , and his voice just sounded like a 14 year old whining girl.