ESPN 'Going Home'

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
That hits close to home. I remember when my dad would be gone for 6-9-12 months at a time during the Persian Gulf or other TDY trips when I was in elementary school. I do envy that they get Skype and stuff like that. All we had was my dad sending little audio tapes back to listen to with some pictures. It's tough so the sacrifice these soldiers give for their job and country should never be taken for granted.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
It's like that "Zillow" commercial I see all over now. Get's me every damn time. I feel like I should punch myself in the nuts so I have an excuse to get emotional...

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
It's like that "Zillow" commercial I see all over now. Get's me every damn time. I feel like I should punch myself in the nuts so I have an excuse to get emotional...

Lol, reminds me of this bit which is great. [video=youtube;A3UidFxqaqM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3UidFxqaqM[/video]

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I have been on both sides of this and the feeling is undescribable leaving and coming back and watching someone leave and come back is unlike anything

Oct 14, 2007
Ames
First thought when seeing this was huge respect and admiration for the soldiers and their families. The fact that our military is entirely made up of volunteers is amazing to me.

Second thought when seeing it was that we need to quit sending our soldiers to countries that we have no business meddling in. (IMO)

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
It was hard enough leaving a wife behind. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to leave children behind as well. Outstanding video out of ESPN. BTW, the crowd noise from the South Carolina football game was amazing.

CyVeteran

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2006
I deploy for a year in a couple of weeks. You can't beat the feeling of coming home after being gone so long.

Reactions: becrisgreg

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Coming back from my 4th deployment I tried to surprise my wife and son but it didn't work (she caught on). Still a great feeling though coming home to see them both smiling at the airport...

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Coming back from my 4th deployment I tried to surprise my wife and son but it didn't work (she caught on). Still a great feeling though coming home to see them both smiling at the airport...

Ha! The spouse gets very smart to the different antics of the world when they have to operate on their own for so long.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
On behalf of everyone here on CF thank you to all the men and women who so bravely serve our country.

drgnslyr

Nov 19, 2009
Granger
No kidding, I totally needed to tear up at work today!

Amazing video with a great purpose and mesaage. Thanks to all who sacrifice so much for the rest of us!

yeah, it's taken me about a half hour to get through that short video, trying to control the waterworks a bit so I don't too pathetic.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
yeah, it's taken me about a half hour to get through that short video, trying to control the waterworks a bit so I don't too pathetic.

Same here. That was incredibly hard to watch (in a good way). The sacrifice that the soldiers and their families make is remarkable.

Again I know I said it before but watching the video again just makes me want to say "Thank You" even though it is such a small gesture.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron