Does Creighton's McDermott Keep His Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Honestly, reservation isn't a great thing to say either. Might as well go classic all hands on deck. No one leaves the ship kind of thing.

While I agree. If you say nobody leaves the ship, now days they could see that as being racist toward bringing Africans over to be slaves. So in fact you would now be racist for saying that.

Reactions: amishclone

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
He'll get canned if he has said/done other things to upset players in the past and they come forward with more information. If they (current/former players) don't say anything soon, he'll keep his job.

Very poor choice of words to use and he's got to be smarter than that being a major figure-head at Creighton. He really said a horrible/dumb thing to his team.

Good on him apologizing right away, acknowledging it was a really stupid thing for him to say. Didn't sugar coat anything either, he owned up to it.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
That doesn't matter.

I guess agree to disagree. I think his intent does matter.

I guess what I look to is his players and others present. If they accept an apology and believe it was not ill-intentioned that's good enough for me.

Reactions: bos

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
While I agree. If you say nobody leaves the ship, now days they could see that as being racist toward bringing Africans over to be slaves. So in fact you would now be racist for saying that.

Try again.You’re always just one small step from figuring it out and I don’t want to just give you the answers. That won’t help.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Slaves came to America on ships, did all ships carry slaves? See where this is going? Now do plantations and reservations.

That's exactly what I was saying. No not all plantations had slaves, not all ships had slaves. So basically I am right. No matter what you can accuse someone of being a racist. They still have plantations in the south. It's basically almost a southern word for Farm.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cat Stevens

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
It shouldn't matter what anyone on this site or the twitter mob thinks about any of this. He said it to the players. It sounds like he either immediately caught his own mistake or one of the players pointed it out to him. Either way, they are the ones that know whether his apology was sincere or if it was manufactured. If it was sincere - which it appears that it was by all accounts so far - then lesson learned and life goes on.

Reactions: BCClone

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Dumb thing to say, especially in the world we live in. But if its just a one-off and his players and coaches accept his apology, I don't think its something he should lose his job over.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
That's exactly what I was saying. No not all plantations had slaves, not all ships had slaves. So basically I am right. No matter what you can accuse someone of being a racist. They still have plantations in the south. It's basically almost a southern word for Farm.

They still have reservations at restaurants.
1614787793885.jpeg

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
He shouldnt lose his job. There are still plantations in the world, and anyone who took it as a slave reference is too sensitive. He apologized and its over. Not a big deal, and he probably should have said something different. I dont even think it should have made news.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
He shouldnt lose his job. There are still plantations in the world, and anyone who took it as a slave reference is too sensitive. He apologized and its over. Not a big deal, and he probably should have said something different. I dont even think it should have made news.

Go tell a bunch of black dudes that they should go work on a plantation. See how that goes for you while you’re trying to explain that there are still plantations today and they shouldn’t be so sensitive.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

it’s not up to white people to decide if it’s a big deal.

A Creighton assistant coach was bothered by it.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
If McDermott gets fired over this and Ferentz continues to keep his job it would truly be a travesty.
This I truly don't understand. Firing McDermott actually being considered for using a very objectionable word twice with not other issues in 10+ years. Ferentz safe despite 22+ years of documented objectionable behavior and tacit support of racism.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
Go tell a bunch of black dudes that they should go work on a plantation. See how that goes for you while you’re trying to explain that there are still plantations today and they shouldn’t be so sensitive.

If they worked on a plantation, I am sure they would be sensitive. I don't personally know any "black dudes" that have worked on a plantation or farm (either or). But I appreciate your suggestion....thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.