Cy logo

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Looks like a minor league baseball team logo... boo. (not that the last one didn't)

Again, let's do something simple, minimal and with some damn gravitas...

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Would it really have been that hard to just update the old walking cy with an I-state across his chest instead of just the I? This new logo is just plain horrible, like something you'd expect from a first year design student.

Edit: Like from a first year design student whose portfolio failed, so they got kicked out of design.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Would it really have been that hard to just update the old walking cy with an I-state across his chest instead of just the I? This new logo is just plain horrible, like something you'd expect from a first year design student.

Edit: Like from a first year design student whose portfolio failed, so they got kicked out of design.

Yes! Go back to Walking Cy!!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Would it really have been that hard to just update the old walking cy with an I-state across his chest instead of just the I? Like from a first year design student whose portfolio failed, so they got kicked out of design.

That's a perfect example of a middle-ground: it's fine to update artwork, but why not also combine it with a time-worn identity?

I'm sure Walking Cy is no less cartoonish than this new Steroid Cy, but at least it has been around for 40-plus years.

As others have said, any identity or logo benefits from winning. But ISU seems perpetually in flux for multiple reasons — and it isn't simply a matter of constantly changing trademarks (although that plays a big part).

I'll have a 6,100-word exploration of that sometime soon. :v_SPIN:

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Not sure if I like the new secondary logo or not.

keep in mind...this is phasing out the Mccarney/Gene Smith twirly bird. JP just got rid of the blue/white initially off the logo...and has now replaced it with the seconday mark to go with the primary (which is awesome).

I sort of like the twirly with the new color scheme...but hated, hated when it was on the helmets. That looked terrible.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Looks like a minor league baseball team logo... boo. (not that the last one didn't)

Again, let's do something simple, minimal and with some damn gravitas...

I give you the '80's tornado, minus the "Iowa State" in that lame font...

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I guess I don't get what all the fuss is about. Our athletic teams represent the university, and should wear the primary mark only. The intent of the primary mark is to represent the university in all facits. The secondary marks are specific to athletics and should only appear on "unofficial" gear, like practice uniforms, fan wear, etc.

"I-State" represents the school, and "Cy" represents the athletes. I can't think of a football team that uses their athletics department symbol on a helmet. They all use their official school symbols. We are doing the same.

I see that everyone is comparing this to Wisconsin, but many schools have cartoon logos of a mascot looking ****** and walking left to right. I've seen a red-overall wearing goober with cowboy hat for Nebraska. I've seen a Miami crane. The Kansas Jayhawk. Michigan State has a goofy Sparty head. The Minnesota gopher. Georgia's bulldog. Oregon has Donald freaking Duck - literally they have Disney's character dressed in green and gold.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
JP,

Geez, why did they not just put a group set of various logo artwork out on the cyclones.com website to be voted on last Sep. That way it would be the people's choice and they take no heat. It might have went down smoother. And it would not have been a surprise.

Does this mean the Cy mascot suit has to be updated?

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I give you the '80's tornado, minus the "Iowa State" in that lame font...

Yes, please, let's memorialize the 15 year period from 1979 - 1994 where we went 36-106-7 (that's 0.358 winning percentage). That's what I want people to associate with Iowa State Football. Let get the new era off to a good start by harkening back to the "good old days."

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I guess I don't get what all the fuss is about. Our athletic teams represent the university, and should wear the primary mark only. The intent of the primary mark is to represent the university in all facits. The secondary marks are specific to athletics and should only appear on "unofficial" gear, like practice uniforms, fan wear, etc.

"I-State" represents the school, and "Cy" represents the athletes. I can't think of a football team that uses their athletics department symbol on a helmet. They all use their official school symbols. We are doing the same.

I see that everyone is comparing this to Wisconsin, but many schools have cartoon logos of a mascot looking ****** and walking left to right. I've seen a red-overall wearing goober with cowboy hat for Nebraska. I've seen a Miami crane. The Kansas Jayhawk. Michigan State has a goofy Sparty head. The Minnesota gopher. Georgia's bulldog. Oregon has Donald freaking Duck - literally they have Disney's character dressed in green and gold.

The issue isn't that we have a new Cy mascot logo - the issue is it's "craptacular" - it looks as if JP hired a 10-year old to design the logo for him.

I could have done away with the whirlybird logo if JP had given us something sweet. He didn't...

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I like it, but WTF happened to Punching CY?!?

And Wisconsin anyone? JP needs to step back a little IMO.
mascot-fullbody.jpg
wisconsin_badgers_iphone_wallpaper.jpg

Go Cyclones.... Go Badgers!!!!!!

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Yes, please, let's memorialize the 15 year period from 1979 - 1994 where we went 36-106-7 (that's 0.358 winning percentage). That's what I want people to associate with Iowa State Football. Let get the new era off to a good start by harkening back to the "good old days."

You wouldn't have to use the same one. You could update it. It's a great logo; it's simple (easily recognizable), has a good pos/neg field relationship that makes it versatile and it expresses our nickname which is unique across D1 athletics (there are plenty of "I's", "STATE's" and cardinals out there; only one Cyclones.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Better than the Chiz years.

5-19 for two inspired years, then 16-5 at Auburn. If he wins the next three, he will be .500 as a coach...

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny

Agree. And we don't change our logo that often. People exaggerate.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Agree. And we don't change our logo that often. People exaggerate.

People aren't really exaggerating. Our history is littered with all sorts of logos and attempts at establishing a visual identity. It may not feel like we change that often, and indeed going from the mid-1990s to 2007 without a change was an eternity by our standards, but we do change/update/tweak an awful lot.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron