Cy logo

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I'm just kind of mad because I was going to get a tattoo of the new punching whirly bird. Probably still will, but it's a bit discouraging that it's not one of our marks anymore.

I just really hate that they've essentially eliminated ANYTHING that refers to a Cyclone. It almost makes me wonder if JP is trying to even get rid of that name.

Oh well. Let's go I-State Mean-Looking Redbirds!

jp hates cy and has tried to do him in for years. sooner or later, we will have some goofy big I walking around at games.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Red Storm, Crimson Tide, Hurricanes, Cyclones, etc...You don't need to necessarily have a literal image of your namesake as your logo. Thank God tazmanian Cy is done as I have been done explaining it to people for years, I just tell them I agree it is a stupid cartoon and shouldn't exist. The only people that understand what it is supposed to represent our Iowa State fans already. If they want to discuss why a cardinal, I say why a thunderbird, elephant, crane, etc. But man, explaining why he was whirling was frustrating. And the I-STATE logo isn't going anywhere. It is here to stay. I am okay with the new Cy logo but think it should be rarely used and just use I-STATE. Anytime they want to go back to the old tornado without the Iowa State above it I am fine with but it won't happen. And anyone that thinks there have been a lot of Cy logos should count Herkys, and now they rarely use herky just the tiger hawk. I can think of 4 just off the top of my head. That compares pretty favorably to our 5 (as long as you count running cy with and without shoes as basically the same and Taz Cy with and without blue and holding words as the same)...running Cy, dressed up cy, leaning cy, taz cy, new cy. I don't really count that Cy they've used for Cy's locker room/kids clothes recently as I rarely have seen it in use.

Last edited:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I'm sorry, but I've never had to explain the tornado part of the logo to people when I tell them we're the Cyclones. That was the easiest part to understand. If you've got to explain that to people, you're hanging out with idiots.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Please stop messing with the logos. Its getting really annoying having all of my gear get outdated after 3 years, not to mention all the crap we take about how we can't settle on an identity. We need some consistency.

These new logos don't necessarily look bad, but its the fact that we keep changing it all the time. I've been trying to think of another school that has changed their identity as much as we have recently but I'm not coming up with one.

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
6a00d834515db069e2010536b5e322970c-800wi

This is what you are talking about. It is fantastic...it draws from a logo we have had for nearly 20 years, and matures it into a professional mark by eliminating the horrible font and navy blue color scheme.

What the AD/marketing department has done, cloak and dagger, with this new iteration (if you can even call it that) is just sickening. I have a hard time believing that we paid money for it to be done, and that someone was paid to produce that. It looks like a horrible version of Bucky the Badger, and the oval atrocities look like Mizzou's logo.

Words can not even describe how upset I am over this. You can't just go changing a mark every 3-4 years. Do we really want to represent our mascot in the most un-unique way possible? In my opinion this has set us back, immediately upon release, a good 10 years.

This logo needs to go on new gold helmets. I don't like the current helmet design because the red on red is very hard to see.

Reactions: CRcyclone6

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
I like the oval drawings, but don't like the walking Cy. I hope this doesn't mean we are getting rid of the punching Cy.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I've done some brand updates and brand identity management in my career, and I have to say you make great points. Don't know if you have a background in it but you are spot in with this case in my opinion.

The secondary mascot mark you posted was an "update" rather than a new mark, but it achieves so much in keeping what was good and getting rid of dated elements. It retains so much identity while still working well with our new primary mark. When the I-State logo was unveiled the first thing I said was "people are still going to want lots of images of Cy for countless reasons". I figured the mark above was the simple but effective solution for that. Guess not.

As a graphic illustrator myself, I think the new tough looking walking Cy is pretty good on its own if we're ignoring any positive reference to past history. The other mascot head marks are cliche, not because they look like Louisville, just because of the swooping oval enclosures... I sense they are meant to give a feeling of a tornado/cyclone but they look 90% like a 90s design cliche and 10% like a hurricane.

It's funny you say that because the first thing I thought of right away was how the ovals looked it belonged on CD cover or a t-shirt for an alternative band in the 90's. I really hope those oval logos are never used. I am never very critical of ISU but these are all just horrible.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I'm not a fan of the new Cy, but I wonder if their plan in changing it was to make it look more like our actual mascot, while incorporating some features of the most loved mark of all time, the walking Cy.

mascot-fullbody.jpg

cy.jpg

compared to

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm not a fan of the new Cy, but I wonder if their plan in changing it was to make it look more like our actual mascot, while incorporating some features of the most loved mark of all time, the walking Cy.

mascot-fullbody.jpg

cy.jpg

compared to

Like I said in my post, the newest 'angry walking Cy' is a quality character illustration on it's own. The negative part of it is the break the punching Cy in the new color scheme, losing that continuity, not the quality of the drawing itself. Like you said it is more like the classic walking Cy, but the punch has been around in some form for almost two decades now so there is still a break.

The oval marks are another story. As a designer myself who has worked with major properties and identity manuals for companies like Disney/Pixar and Ford... if I were designing products for ISU and given these new resources, I'd exclusively try to use the I-State word mark and the new walking Cy. I'd only put those oval marks on my work if the client demanded it.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
1. I guess thay are taking the Miami Hurriane mascot point of view. Nothing to do with a Hurricane.

2. The I-State mark is the primary mark and will not change. They just changed up the secondary mark a bit.
Actually it does....According to folklore in South Florida, the Ibis, is the first bird to appear after the hurricane has hit.....

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Why does Bucky wear a sweater? Anyway, I like it better than a half Cyclone half bird punching nothing. This way at least it is what it is, a Bird. Which is fine. We have a bird for a mascot and we are cyclones. Get over it people.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
New CY logos

Anyone else seen this? Look for Cy gets tough section. www.iastate.edu/inside

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I just don't buy the gear with the mascot stuff on it...other than the old classic walking Cy. I love the I-State logo as it's not a cartoon. For this one, I think that he's a little too barrel-chested. Looks like one of those guys in a toughman competition, not an athlete. They should have made him a little more wiry.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The new walking Cy is just awful and completely unoriginal. I guess I just don't understand why we have to be introducing new crappy logos every 3-4 years...

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Every article of clothing I buy, including hats, has this logo. This is the one I prefer, and usually the only one I buy. Very disappointing if this is no longer a part of Iowa State identity.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeah... I still prefer that one

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron