Cy-Hawk Dual

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I also just rewatched the match. Kyven Gadson was amazing in his ability to remain cool while being harassed by the Hok knuckleheads. Nobody got in his head even for a moment. His broadcast partner had more trouble than he did.
Yes! And how refreshing was it to watch an ISU meet with a professional play-by-play guy? Please get anyone but TK for the remaining duals!

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Yes! And how refreshing was it to watch an ISU meet with a professional play-by-play guy? Please get anyone but TK for the remaining duals!
TK isn’t very good and I hope they find a replacement but I guess I thought the person they had doing it instead was worse. He was constantly interrupting Kyven. He was unpleasant to listen to and didn’t seem to have any flow to his commentating.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
the story goes when Gable was hired in the mid-70's @ Iowa, industrial magnate Roy Carver donated $6 million to the wrestling team. (Like giving $40 million today to the ISU FB team from Gridiron Club)

They also had use of Carver's jet for recruiting

These funds and amenities sent Iowa wrestling into orbit and they never looked back--unfortunately for us

Gable also got loose with the recruiting rules. Something that Z paid for lightly as a coach. They looked at each wrestler as an out of state wrestler. Meaning if Instate tuition was 500/semester and out of state was 2000. They would offer a 25% scholly of the 2000 and the instate recruits got 100% tuition and 25% room and board. So basically a 5/8th scholarship. Why they were flooded hard with Iowa wrestlers. They were getting way more than they should. OSU got tagged a little with this also.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
As a banker in a past life, it’s likely they didn’t buy the house with their own funds (down payment). It’s pretty common amongst millennials and the younger crowd to live in homes purchased with down payments funded largely by their parents or grandparents. I’m sure other income streams exist though.

I have a cousin whose paternal grandfather purchased his 3 bedroom apartment in Manhattan. A prime example of white the privilege and generational wealth that exists in cities like that

White privilege? Keep the politics out.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
As a banker in a past life, it’s likely they didn’t buy the house with their own funds (down payment). It’s pretty common amongst millennials and the younger crowd to live in homes purchased with down payments funded largely by their parents or grandparents. I’m sure other income streams exist though.

I have a cousin whose paternal grandfather purchased his 3 bedroom apartment in Manhattan. A prime example of white the privilege and generational wealth that exists in cities like that
Whether they put up their own downpayment ( which today can be as low as zero ) or not- I think the point would be how would they qualify or be able to make payments on that mortgage on one income of 43,000.00 .

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Whether they put up their own downpayment ( which today can be as low as zero ) or not- I think the point would be how would they qualify or be able to make payments on that mortgage on one income of 43,000.00 .
Yeah, the 35/45% rules would come into play possibility and that’s if they haven’t lowered them in the last 15 years since I was at a bank.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It doesn't help they don't have a normal HC between MBB, CFB and Wrestling. They think all this disgusting behavior is acceptable
Kind of a manifestation of the fan base, really. If they a sane coach, my money would bet they would run him out of town for not doing things the “right” way.

Reactions: CyTwins

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
TK isn’t very good and I hope they find a replacement but I guess I thought the person they had doing it instead was worse. He was constantly interrupting Kyven. He was unpleasant to listen to and didn’t seem to have any flow to his commentating.
I mean Kyven wasn't the PxP guy he was the color guy. Kyven actually posted on his twitter looking for constructive feedback which is awesome that he wants to continue to grow his skills in broadcasting.

Reactions: LSGOST8 and Clone83

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I mean Kyven wasn't the PxP guy he was the color guy. Kyven actually posted on his twitter looking for constructive feedback which is awesome that he wants to continue to grow his skills in broadcasting.
Kyven is great. The PxP was poor IMO.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
the story goes when Gable was hired in the mid-70's @ Iowa, industrial magnate Roy Carver donated $6 million to the wrestling team. (Like giving $40 million today to the ISU FB team from Gridiron Club)

They also had use of Carver's jet for recruiting

These funds and amenities sent Iowa wrestling into orbit and they never looked back--unfortunately for us

Also giving out more scholarship equivalencies (1.5-2.0) than was allowed by the NCAA for several years, and then trying to blame it on bookkeeping errors and Big Ten rules.

Edit: For reference, the NCAA limit at the time was 11.0. Iowa was giving out nearly 13.0. That'd be akin to giving out 100 scholarships in football, when everyone else was handing out 85.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Kyven is good. He understands that the color guy needs to add a few interesting back stories, funny situations, and also break things down a bit. There are two things that hold wrestling back in popularity. The first is excitement, not much you can do from that angle. The second is knowledge, he does a nice job of trying to simplify things and explain some basics so the average person can understand it. With football and basketball, the general play makes sense. With wrestling, outside of pinning, many of the rules can make it confusing until you learn what they are. It's like icing and offsides in hockey, you will hate that sport if you don't get an understanding of those two rules. Kyven get this and tries to help expand knowledge which in turn will help to grow the fanbase.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
The ability of ToE fans to stick their heads so damn deep in the sand never stop boggling my mind.

The buffoonery is celebrated. Wrestling culture, and especially Iowa wrestling culture, is very intense, especially in the state's smaller communities. A lot of Iowa wrestling fans are of the Brands' generation. The fandom is then passed down to their kids.

Weekend wrestling tournaments at any age level in our state have always been a circus. Yes, it's an extremely competitive and intense sport, but the behavior of parents, coaches, and fans comes from the perfect mix of dumb people and wrestling buffoon culture that we've seen in Iowa City for decades.

While we see the arrogance of Fry reflected in their current football fanbase, we see the ugliness of Brands reflected in their current wrestling fanbase.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The buffoonery is celebrated. Wrestling culture, and especially Iowa wrestling culture, is very intense, especially in the state's smaller communities. A lot of Iowa wrestling fans are of the Brands' generation. The fandom is then passed down to their kids.

Weekend wrestling tournaments at any age level in our state have always been a circus. Yes, it's an extremely competitive and intense sport, but the behavior of parents, coaches, and fans comes from the perfect mix of dumb people and wrestling buffoon culture that we've seen in Iowa City for decades.

While we see the arrogance of Fry reflected in their current football fanbase, we see the ugliness of Brands reflected in their current wrestling fanbase.
I have been involved with wrestling and basketball tournaments. Have you been to AAU basketball tournaments? The ones my daughter participated in weren't that much different than the wrestling tournaments I was around. In fact, as the wrestling tournaments became more advanced (as the competition level was higher) it became a less circus atmosphere, whereas basketball was the exact opposite. The local BB tourneys are kinda soft, but the AAU ones (the girl ones at least) are a complete sheetshow.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I have been involved with wrestling and basketball tournaments. Have you been to AAU basketball tournaments? The ones my daughter participated in weren't that much different than the wrestling tournaments I was around. In fact, as the wrestling tournaments became more advanced (as the competition level was higher) it became a less circus atmosphere, whereas basketball was the exact opposite. The local BB tourneys are kinda soft, but the AAU ones (the girl ones at least) are a complete sheetshow.
What I've noticed is as kids begin to mature in wrestling the gap on skill/talent/etc becomes pretty obvious to spectators, family, coaches. They sort of know what kid is elite what kid is pretty good what kid is working hard for his team to fill in a weight. The atmosphere reflects that (until state). Basketball well every parent still thinks johnny and sussie are making it D1 and wont recognize that they aren't

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What I've noticed is as kids begin to mature in wrestling the gap on skill/talent/etc becomes pretty obvious to spectators, family, coaches. They sort of know what kid is elite what kid is pretty good what kid is working hard for his team to fill in a weight. The atmosphere reflects that (until state). Basketball well every parent still thinks johnny and sussie are making it D1 and wont recognize that they aren't
Yeah, that is why when you hit the larger tournaments, we would know the top ten guys. There was a general respect there, the kids would talk and the parents would talk. It might get a little warm during matches but any competition died on the mat. A lot came down to several being on teams with each other for state duals, national duals and such.

With basketball, it was Jenny is better than Tiffany but she doesn't get the playing time to show it because her mom/dad is kissing the butt of the coach. Which unfortunately was true about 50% of the time. It was extremely cut throat. Those same antics then carried back to the local team and parents would back stab other kids to the coach and some of the players were right down nasty.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

Completely agree on the more advanced tournaments being less of a circus. But I've also seen some terrible behavior when it's postseason tourney time and/or a big rivalry dual.

The AAU basketball tournaments were never very animated in my experience, but it's been a long time. I think it's much more competitive and organized now in Iowa than it was when I was playing in the late 90s/early 00s, so I could see it being a terrible time for everyone involved.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Kyven did a great job from what I was told of being neutral. Did mention he could show a little more excitement throughout
I was watching and he did a great job, thought his chemistry was better with this PBP than with TK - I don't know how much excitement he needs to show- I think being himself is where his strength lies. He really kept his cool and sense of humor amidst the adverse conditions he was working under.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Completely agree on the more advanced tournaments being less of a circus. But I've also seen some terrible behavior when it's postseason tourney time and/or a big rivalry dual.

The AAU basketball tournaments were never very animated in my experience, but it's been a long time. I think it's much more competitive and organized now in Iowa than it was when I was playing in the late 90s/early 00s, so I could see it being a terrible time for everyone involved.
The iowa AAU BB scene is like local tournaments if you travel to the twin cities. Recruiters all over the place and kill style mentality. Games where pressing while up 40 is just the norm. Remember a team that was a split off of my daughters that lost a game 70-1 in fourth grade or so. They actually called off the dogs some in that one also. The games where they were close had parents yapping at each other very intensely. After games, you would see coaches bombarded afterwards to either curse them out, kiss their butt or sometimes a little of both. I saw fights break out among parents more than once. We only let our daughter do that route one year and then she played with a different team that basically did Iowa tournaments the next. We wanted advanced skills not looking for a scholarship for her.

Wrestling did have crazies yes, but my experience, which is just one parents experience, is that girls AAU basketball was something that I refuse to ever be around again due to being the nastiest I've experienced.

Reactions: SolarGarlic