CW POD: Is pro wrestling fun again?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Now do Hulk Hogan in the 80s. Think you'll find some similarities.

At least in the WWF Hogan had a limited skill set and a repetitive match. (his Japan stuff showed he could work multiple styles)

But he could cut a promo and bring eyes to the product.

If wrestling actually counted Dean Malenko would be the greatest of all time

he’ll always be the best WCW TV Champion to me! Some of those matches on WCW Thunder and WCW Heat are Dave Meltzer 10 stars.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
he’ll always be the best WCW TV Champion to me! Some of those matches on WCW Thunder and WCW Heat are Dave Meltzer 10 stars.

Hogan should've turn heel when he lost to the Warrior at WM

Oh....and speaking of a limited skill set. The Warrior was straight garbage in the ring.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Pro wrestling fun again..... that's a BIG no for me.

I can't see why anyone would waste a minute of their time on that crap.... but that's just my opinion. Some people couldn't watch a minute of golf (which I understand completely)... but I could watch golf all day long.... especially if it's a big tournament.

I'm still contemplating taking this Thurs and Fri off of work to watch the Masters. So I have no room to talk.

• Agree
Reactions: ClonesInDallas

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Hogan should've turn heel when he lost to the Warrior at WM

Oh....and speaking of a limited skill set. The Warrior was straight garbage in the ring.

With the power of hindsight I disagree because then the NWO wouldn’t have had the same “splash”.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
The best wrestling you will ever see is Mick Foley. That guy jumped off three story high structures into stacks of tables, chairs, etc. He was the best IMO.

As God is my witness, he has broken him in half!
mankind-undertaker.gif

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
As God is my witness, he has broken him in half!
mankind-undertaker.gif
There was a ladder match with the Dudly brothers that is really amazing. I think the Hardy bros are in it and Kane as well. Spike and Buster just get abused. One of the biggest power bombs I've ever seen off a ladder.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
With the power of hindsight I disagree because then the NWO wouldn’t have had the same “splash”.

Good chance the nWo never sees the light of day.

But think of this. A 1990 Hulk Hogan is still on top of his game. He shakes the Warrior's hand after the loss. But instead of pointing at him and nodding he gives him a devastating clothesline during the handshake.

Then drops the big boot on him a few times and maybe even bloodies the Warrior using the championship belt.

The roof would've blown off of SkyDome. It would've been off the charts. Even more so than the 3rd man storyline.

Maybe Heenan pairs up with Hogan afterward. Whew.... would've been crazy.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Good chance the nWo never sees the light of day.

But think of this. A 1990 Hulk Hogan is still on top of his game. He shakes the Warrior's hand after the loss. But instead of pointing at him and nodding he gives him a devastating clothesline during the handshake.

Then drops the big boot on him a few times and maybe even bloodies the Warrior using the championship belt.

The roof would've blown off of SkyDome. It would've been off the charts. Even more so than the 3rd man storyline.

Maybe Heenan pairs up with Hogan afterward. Whew.... would've been crazy.

If Vince didn’t think Warrior was going to die at any second this might have been the way. I think that was part of the reasoning. Anointing him as the next mega-face and then he drops dead at a house show in Albuquerque wouldn’t have been good for business.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Thanks for mentioning The Brain, to me sort of the personification of pro wrestling as well as a bridge between the era’s.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Now do Hulk Hogan in the 80s. Think you'll find some similarities.

At least in the WWF Hogan had a limited skill set and a repetitive match. (his Japan stuff showed he could work multiple styles)

But he could cut a promo and bring eyes to the product.

If wrestling actually counted Dean Malenko would be the greatest of all time
Very true. Mick Foley said something similar that if athletic and wrestling ability was all that mattered Taka Michinoku would’ve been a 10 year champ.
The Rock was average at best in ring, the look and ability to sell is 95% of it.
I’d say he better than average, but he is arguably the best on the mic ever, which is definitely the reason he was such a star.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
If Vince didn’t think Warrior was going to die at any second this might have been the way. I think that was part of the reasoning. Anointing him as the next mega-face and then he drops dead at a house show in Albuquerque wouldn’t have been good for business.
It's literally amazing his heart didn't explode 15 years before it did with the massive amounts of cocaine and roids...

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
It's literally amazing his heart didn't explode 15 years before it did with the massive amounts of cocaine and roids...
Indidnt realize macho man lived to be 58. I thought he was in his like early 40s

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I’m kind of surprised there wasn’t much backstage backlash to him becoming the face of the company during the attitude era. Considering how limited he really was, he really could just cut a good promo and was very average otherwise. Just hit the right nerve at the right time with the fans I guess.

It was a great gimmick. Anti authority battling the boss in Vince. Several people myself included have had a boss you love to flip the bird and kick their ***. People got to experience that through watching him.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
It's going to be Jeff Jarrett.

Jeff Jarrett with the greatest talent roster on the planet and unable to book himself as world champion can do some really good things.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron