CW POD: Is pro wrestling fun again?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Jarrett is under contract with WWE. Not sure how he got to do this booking, but whatever.
I honestly don't have much of any interest in the event. Obviously, pro-wrestling is a business, but this just feels more like a money grab for the Flairs than anything else. The promoter and Ric's partner are both son-in-laws of Ric. They are asking a stupid $100 for the PPV. And I 100% agree with you that this won't be the "last match." There will be a "Last Match Rematch" or a "Last Match 2" and "Last Match 3" etc.

The entire wrestling card is $35 on PPV

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
The entire wrestling card is $35 on PPV

I could have sworn when I looked on Saturday, the "Last Match" was $99.99

But it appears there is an option for $35.00. I must have been confused in that the "Ric Flair's Last Match" is a multiple match event. I was reading this like there was the "Last Match" and the rest was "Starrcast V".

I was confused. I will try to not let it happen again.

1658799064696.png

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

But it appears there is an option for $35.00. I must have been confused in that the "Ric Flair's Last Match" is a multiple match event. I was reading this like there was the "Last Match" and the rest was "Starrcast V".

View attachment 101052

Oh it's confusing as ****.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Tonight was the first time I watched WWE since probably 2010, other than a live show I went to with Rulzzz and MJ a few years back.

While I certainly don’t expect mass product changes over night, I do think HHH in charge is a good thing. Based on social media, NXT was more talked about than Raw a few years ago.

And obviously the change to being PG14 or whatever.

Thoughts on Reigns? Sounds like he’s a face but I’m not sure I can ever like the guy. Same with Seth. I also love Theory. Am I broken?

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
My son and I watched a lot of NXT (never Raw or Smackdown - "all they do is talk, dad.") and since the switch to NXT 2.0 he just stopped watching. We started Wrestlemania, paused for the night, never turned wrestling back on. To be honest I thought Vince was a scum bag for many years and I wanted him to hang on for longer to continue to drive his company into the ground. Unfortunately with new people in charge I think WWE will get better. Vince's leaving will negatively impact AEW and Impact.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
My son and I watched a lot of NXT (never Raw or Smackdown - "all they do is talk, dad.") and since the switch to NXT 2.0 he just stopped watching. We started Wrestlemania, paused for the night, never turned wrestling back on. To be honest I thought Vince was a scum bag for many years and I wanted him to hang on for longer to continue to drive his company into the ground. Unfortunately with new people in charge I think WWE will get better. Vince's leaving will negatively impact AEW and Impact.
Vince is in big trouble, the "farewell tour/match" quickly became "I'm gone".

This probably gets caved if we go further though.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
I did. Bryce Jordyn's dad is a friend of mine. They always do a nice job with that show
This was my 10th year going to the show. When I first started attending it was at Young Arena and WLW did the Friday night show.

It's a great weekend. The live podcasts and panel discussions are almost always fun and the induction speeches are usually really good. The fan interaction is really amazing. I like seeing the growth happen, but I hope it doesn't get so big that the access fans have is diminished.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Tonight was the first time I watched WWE since probably 2010, other than a live show I went to with Rulzzz and MJ a few years back.

While I certainly don’t expect mass product changes over night, I do think HHH in charge is a good thing. Based on social media, NXT was more talked about than Raw a few years ago.

And obviously the change to being PG14 or whatever.

Thoughts on Reigns? Sounds like he’s a face but I’m not sure I can ever like the guy. Same with Seth. I also love Theory. Am I broken?

Keep in mind Raw was at MSG last night, and NYC being a smark market (along with Philly and Chicago) it tends to favor heels.

That being said, Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, and Austin Theory are all heels. In fact, Roman Reigns and the Usos have probably been the biggest heels in WWE for quite awhile now.

But while Roman is the biggest heel, Austin Theory is the guy that everyone wants to see the **** kicked out of. Even the most despicable versions of Randy Orton and Edge would be cheered if put across Austin Theroy. Part of it is this character he’s playing is just that kind of antagonist that you just want to see comeuppance, part of it is he’s been getting direct rub from Vince since almost the moment he was called up, and part of it is ever since he won the MITB case he’s been poking Roman, which is something you don’t normally see heels do to other heels - which in those isolated moments is getting Roman some cheers. I’m not saying I hate Austin Theory; I’m saying he’s excellent in playing this role. It’s not far off from what Seth Rollins and Becky Lynch are both doing, who are both doing absolute cringe in the best way possible.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
This was my 10th year going to the show. When I first started attending it was at Young Arena and WLW did the Friday night show.

It's a great weekend. The live podcasts and panel discussions are almost always fun and the induction speeches are usually really good. The fan interaction is really amazing. I like seeing the growth happen, but I hope it doesn't get so big that the access fans have is diminished.
It's the perfect size right now but, like everything, they need to keep growing to keep the money flowing. The museum is awesome and I wish they had the resources to promote it more.

I'm with you, I can't recommend that weekend enough for wrestling fans!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Yeah, I’ve been following WWE from a distance for awhile now. This year was the first time in many years I didn’t watch WrestleMania, and it’s been more than a year since I’ve watched any PPV. So while I can post what I did about what I did above, I haven’t been watching because overall it has been so bad.

I’m guessing once we get past SummerSlam is when we start seeing HHH’s influence on creative, as post SummerSlam is one of the natural soft reset points and when you start seeing your preliminary building toward WrestleMania. And I’m cautiously optimistic for this because I really, really liked what HHH did with mid-late 2010s NXT - it was the best thing going in WWE at that time. And then Vince killed it on the vine by putting it head-to-head against AEW, something it was never going to bear like that, then because it didn’t sacked HHH and then turned NXT into a main roster clone, ruining what was so special about it in the first place.

Anyway, for years I’ve often pondered what a main roster who’s creative was run by HHH would look like - and not only are we getting that, but he’s getting the PG handcuffs taken off as well. Granted, I’ve always thought people used the PG tag as a BS excuse to explain away **** storytelling (if only it was PG13 it’d be so much better), completely ignoring the fact that HHH told great stories at NXT under the same constraints. What I am saying is it will be really interesting to see what HHH is capable of when he has an absolutely full deck to work with.

Reactions: BigTurk

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

View attachment 101052

That is legit confusing.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yeah, I’ve been following WWE from a distance for awhile now. This year was the first time in many years I didn’t watch WrestleMania, and it’s been more than a year since I’ve watched any PPV. So while I can post what I did about what I did above, I haven’t been watching because overall it has been so bad.

I’m guessing once we get past SummerSlam is when we start seeing HHH’s influence on creative, as post SummerSlam is one of the natural soft reset points and when you start seeing your preliminary building toward WrestleMania. And I’m cautiously optimistic for this because I really, really liked what HHH did with mid-late 2010s NXT - it was the best thing going in WWE at that time. And then Vince killed it on the vine by putting it head-to-head against AEW, something it was never going to bear like that, then because it didn’t sacked HHH and then turned NXT into a main roster clone, ruining what was so special about it in the first place.

Anyway, for years I’ve often pondered what a main roster who’s creative was run by HHH would look like - and not only are we getting that, but he’s getting the PG handcuffs taken off as well. Granted, I’ve always thought people used the PG tag as a BS excuse to explain away **** storytelling (if only it was PG13 it’d be so much better), completely ignoring the fact that HHH told great stories at NXT under the same constraints. What I am saying is it will be really interesting to see what HHH is capable of when he has an absolutely full deck to work with.

I just don’t think it will ever get back to what attracted me to PW. As I’ve listened to podcasts and watched documentaries and stuff it’s clear to me that the “lifestyle” of the wrestlers was the key to making a good product. No one lives that lifestyle anymore and if they do (Jeff Hardy uh hum) they send them to rehab instead of creating a storyline around it and throwing them back on the mic and in the ring.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
NGL, this entire SummerSlam is starting to feel like a gigantic "F-U" to Vince and Kevin Dunn. The rehiring of Dakota Kai and callup of Io Shirai (who's apparently now Io Sky) to match Bayley's return - that's something that would not have been in the script two weeks ago.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I just don’t think it will ever get back to what attracted me to PW. As I’ve listened to podcasts and watched documentaries and stuff it’s clear to me that the “lifestyle” of the wrestlers was the key to making a good product. No one lives that lifestyle anymore and if they do (Jeff Hardy uh hum) they send them to rehab instead of creating a storyline around it and throwing them back on the mic and in the ring.
Yeah they've tried that with Jeff Hardy and he showed up hammered to his TNA main event against Sting. Have to think he was drunk during the house show incident that got him let go from WWE recently too.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
NGL, this entire SummerSlam is starting to feel like a gigantic "F-U" to Vince and Kevin Dunn. The rehiring of Dakota Kai and callup of Io Shirai (who's apparently now Io Sky) to match Bayley's return - that's something that would not have been in the script two weeks ago.

Agree. The women's division is hopefully going to be taken seriously and not made out to be a joke.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron