CW POD: Is pro wrestling fun again?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I have fond memories of WWE televising what would be 1st degree murder with a sledgehammer or burying someone alive while JR screams "Oh MY GOD!" and "WHAT THE HELL?"

I get that it’s a hard job these days in the WWE. Making a big deal out of a 540 triple backflip somersault DDT that barely touches the other guy has to be hard to sell. It’s an easier job when a guy is getting conchairto’ed and the devastation is believable.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I saw a clip of 62 year old Sting jumping off a table. Sting was cool 20 years ago.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Do you enjoy fictional TV shows or movies by chance?
Fiction can be believable and realistic or fiction can be pure fantasy that is carried by a great story, characters, acting and visuals.

People don't think pro wrestling is stupid because it's fictional, but because it is missing all of the elements that make fiction compelling and entertaining. Even the cheese factor is only entertaining for a short time since it's the same thing over and over again.

High Def does it no favors either.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Last Saturday night I went and saw Impact Pro Wrestling in Des Moines. If you are not familiar it is an Indy promotion based in Iowa. It was a lot of fun and really cheap. My son and I had a great time.

Regarding WWE. Someone mentioned the camera angles and quick cuts. Yes, that is horrible. Was watching NXT with my son last night and one match was difficult to watch because of how quickly the angles jumped. I wished I could watch AEW but I can't get that based on my t.v. provider. Nor Impact. Maybe ROH when that comes around again.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I checked out long long ago but pro wrestling stopped being fun when less of this kind of ridiculousness was happening.

This is what sets AEW apart from WWE. WWE went all in on the MMA “it’s almost real!” Angle and that’s not professional wrestling.

AEW has just that much more ridiculousness that makes it fun and cool. Plus AEW has all the best mic guys. WWE basically abandoned guys and girls that can kill it on the mic but have more than 1% body fat and aren’t 6’3” and above.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I go back and watch some of the attitude era clips on youtube sometimes. It's just hard to match that now for a variety of reasons.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
One night, a year or two ago I caught some sort of Amateur WWE type of thing on Cable TV. It literally was filmed by a single guy at a hotel ballroom in Minnesota.

I don't know the hierarchy of Professional Wrestling, but this appeared to be the Slow Pitch Equivalent to the MLB.

It was cheesy, awful, poorly done, but I found myself watching for a good 10 or 15 minutes. o_O
:eek:

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I started watching again after a break last night when I heard rumors of Stone Cold is going to do some stuff. That is what I need. Stone Cold don't need to wrestle. He just needs some story lines where he can do mic work and do a stunner on a few people every once in a while.
Stone Cold barely wrestled the first time around. He wasn’t anywhere close to as bad as Goldberg but he was very limited in terms of technical ability. Basically just punched and kicked people until it was time to hit a stunner.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Stone Cold barely wrestled the first time around. He wasn’t anywhere close to as bad as Goldberg but he was very limited in terms of technical ability. Basically just punched and kicked people until it was time to hit a stunner.

Which is what sells anyway. The high flyer guys never sell. It’s the mic guys and the right character. I don’t give to much of a crap about the actual match.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I am a huge fan of 80s Crockett stuff. The Horseman. Dusty. Magnum. Nikita. The Midnight Express.....ROAD WARRIORS!

Been watching some NWA mostly because I just can't figure out how they stay in business and Kamille

hirsch-leylajpg.jpg

Reactions: Macloney