Crazy Golf Stories

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Oh, I have another one.

We were playing in the Simpson College best ball tournament at Echo Valley a couple years ago, and the Simpson women's volleyball team was stationed at the 16th or 17th tee box. My buddy got up to hit and topped it so bad that he let go of his club and it flew up into the tree behind him :D:D:D. I still bring that up all the time.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Former BIL at Bunker Hill in Dubuque. Real bad golfer, hadn't hit a shot in the air all day, just chunk after wormburner after chunk. Got to the par 3 along Grandview, and he hits one a mile in the air, but 45 degrees to the left. Drops it square on top of the roof of a moving car coming down Grandview. BAM! Driver flipped us off, but I bet that scared the hell out of him.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I've heard tales of a closed course tourney (at least 30 years ago) down in Phoenix where they had a stripper at each hole to distract the putters. Someone I worked with back then played in it one year (or so he claimed).

Reactions: NWICY

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Bachelor party at a very hilly golf coarse. We had the main cooler on the driver side floor. After the highest altitude green we were driving 'down' the hill and banking left. Where the cooler no longer wanted to be in our cart. It bolted out the side. But it had a mind of its own. Because it was morning and there was dew on the ground it didn't tip. Instead it sped down that fairway a good 150 yards before veering right directly in front of the green and sliding sideways to a stop. And as if on que its top popped opened for the foursome of friends two parties ahead of us. It was gut wrenching.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I've heard tales of a closed course tourney (at least 30 years ago) down in Phoenix where they had a stripper at each hole to distract the putters. Someone I worked with back then played in it one year (or so he claimed).
I have heard that a tournament like that happened at Johnson Ranch one year, but the mostly older homeowners that lived on the course made sure it only happened once. Not sure if rumor or true.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
South of Phoenix

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
My dad was golfing in a tournament in iowa city in the mid 2000s. He was in a group behind Drew Tate. I know **** the Hawkeyes. They got backed up on a par 3. He watched him hit a hole in one while being unable to claim the $25,000 prize.

Reactions: stateofmind

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
My dad recently went in the water on a par 3 and rehit from the tee box. His next tee shot was about 6 inches from the hole. Almost the greatest par I’d ever seen.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
So I play in a few local Mens Opens every year. I hover around a 5-6 handicap and although that's a fairly decent handicap I almost never play well and barely ever make the "cut" at these things where the top 16 play another 9 to determine a winner. I played in one on Saturday and a different one on Sunday. On Saturday I get a case of the hosel rockets and shoot 49/40 for the worst score I think I've shot in one of these in probably 10 years. Obviously, I'm feeling great about the tournament Sunday anyway. I wake up, feel like total garbage, my wife's sick, I don't even really want to go and leave her with our 6 month old while she's sick and I don't really care to play golf anyway. I can't really back out, though, because it's just not something I like to do to other people, especially the volunteers that do a lot of work to put these on and I do really like this particular tournament. I go down there, feel like my entire body is wrapped in saran wrap, my clubs feel like they weigh 50 pounds, my sinuses feel like they might explode at any point and somehow scrape it around to shoot 35 on the front. That's neat. I mean, all I really wanted to do was get 18 in and get the hell out of there because it'll be 10;30-11:00 before we get home if we stick around for the whole thing. I figure, hey, water finds it's level, let's shoot this 40-42, try and catch a flight and all will be normal. We have a two hour layover and by the times that's over I don't feel too bad. I proceed to hit to a foot for an eagle on the first hole, make 8 pars, and shoot 69. Now, not only did I make the cut, I'm in the final group and one off the lead. Again, another hour or so wait before we tee off so I head over the range and absolutely flush everything in a little warm up. Now I'm feeling pretty damn good and we're going to go out and try and win this damn thing. I proceed then to chloroform three consecutive tee shots, make a bogey and two doubles on the first three holes, luckily hit a tree to stay in bounds on the fourth hole and shoot 44 (not the worst!). The only saving grace is I hit 3 or 4 absolutely filthy shots that I think at least made the people watching this train wreck think "Oh, I mean it's in there somewhere so I don't think he cheated".

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Guys I got a hole in one on my 19th mulligan, it was so easy!
I've holed out twice from the tee box on my second ball while playing by myself and I have 0 hole-in-ones. I do have an albatross, though, so I don't give a hit about peoples hole-in-ones.

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
So I play in a few local Mens Opens every year. I hover around a 5-6 handicap and although that's a fairly decent handicap I almost never play well and barely ever make the "cut" at these things where the top 16 play another 9 to determine a winner. I played in one on Saturday and a different one on Sunday. On Saturday I get a case of the hosel rockets and shoot 49/40 for the worst score I think I've shot in one of these in probably 10 years. Obviously, I'm feeling great about the tournament Sunday anyway. I wake up, feel like total garbage, my wife's sick, I don't even really want to go and leave her with our 6 month old while she's sick and I don't really care to play golf anyway. I can't really back out, though, because it's just not something I like to do to other people, especially the volunteers that do a lot of work to put these on and I do really like this particular tournament. I go down there, feel like my entire body is wrapped in saran wrap, my clubs feel like they weigh 50 pounds, my sinuses feel like they might explode at any point and somehow scrape it around to shoot 35 on the front. That's neat. I mean, all I really wanted to do was get 18 in and get the hell out of there because it'll be 10;30-11:00 before we get home if we stick around for the whole thing. I figure, hey, water finds it's level, let's shoot this 40-42, try and catch a flight and all will be normal. We have a two hour layover and by the times that's over I don't feel too bad. I proceed to hit to a foot for an eagle on the first hole, make 8 pars, and shoot 69. Now, not only did I make the cut, I'm in the final group and one off the lead. Again, another hour or so wait before we tee off so I head over the range and absolutely flush everything in a little warm up. Now I'm feeling pretty damn good and we're going to go out and try and win this damn thing. I proceed then to chloroform three consecutive tee shots, make a bogey and two doubles on the first three holes, luckily hit a tree to stay in bounds on the fourth hole and shoot 44 (not the worst!). The only saving grace is I hit 3 or 4 absolutely filthy shots that I think at least made the people watching this train wreck think "Oh, I mean it's in there somewhere so I don't think he cheated".
If this doesn't describe golf in a nutshell, i'm not sure what does.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Don't know if it would classify as a crazy golf story but one time in State Center on an extremely windy day I missed a 5-6 foot putt so badly. The speed was great but my line was off by about 6 inches. The ball stopped and then a major gust of wind blew it into the hole.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I used to play a lot of golf when I was younger and I was decent as a 6 handicap. I was a member of the country club in our town and often played in tournaments. During one tournament I was in a foursome with a member that I knew was very good, but I had not played much golf with him. On that day, he shot a 63 to set the course record. The course was a difficult par 72. It was the best round of golf I had witnessed up close in person in my life. He made 63 look easy. This golfer had played on scholarship at Florida State during college and had played in the armature version of the Ryder Cup. I considered myself a good golfer, but it was pretty clear how different his game was from mine.

Reactions: NWICY and Bigman38