Crazy Golf Stories

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Was golfing at Waveland for a bachelor party several years ago. We are getting ready to go up the hill on 1 when a beaver comes scurrying across 18 and into the first fairway. Some drunk guy chases it across and bludgeons it to death with his club, probably not more than 75 yards from us.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Don't know if it would classify as a crazy golf story but one time in State Center on an extremely windy day I missed a 5-6 foot putt so badly. The speed was great but my line was off by about 6 inches. The ball stopped and then a major gust of wind blew it into the hole.
My buddy and I played a course out in Sully (I think) where I had something similar happen. Little course, no one there to take your money, you just put it in the box and go. At any rate, a storm started blowing in, so we decided to finish the hole. The storm was faster than we thought, so when we got to the green, winds were so high it was difficult to balance when putting. I putted from 3' into the wind, it went past a foot, then blew back into the hole. Then we hauled ass for shelter. The course ended up with tree limbs down all over. Should have hightailed it out way earlier.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer and NWICY

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Don't know if it would classify as a crazy golf story but one time in State Center on an extremely windy day I missed a 5-6 foot putt so badly. The speed was great but my line was off by about 6 inches. The ball stopped and then a major gust of wind blew it into the hole.
As a member, I believe this.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Back in high school we went to a match in School B's town against School C.
My buddy had recently met a girl from School B and starting fooling around with her, full well knowing she had a boyfriend from School C.
A buddy of mine and I from School A were matched up with a guy from School C.
It was the boyfriend.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I used to play a lot of golf when I was younger and I was decent as a 6 handicap. I was a member of the country club in our town and often played in tournaments. During one tournament I was in a foursome with a member that I knew was very good, but I had not played much golf with him. On that day, he shot a 63 to set the course record. The course was a difficult par 72. It was the best round of golf I had witnessed up close in person in my life. He made 63 look easy. This golfer had played on scholarship at Florida State during college and had played in the armature version of the Ryder Cup. I considered myself a good golfer, but it was pretty clear how different his game was from mine.

Understanding just how far a scratch golfer is from a pro golfer was a real eye opener to me.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
I wasn't there, but at my course there is a 165 yard par 3 followed by a 260ish yard par 4. A guy had back to back hole in ones. This story has been confirmed by many.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My business partner has a friend who used to play MLB baseball. He called him up one day and said he needed a 4th for a local best ball tournament. My partner couldn't play but volunteered his son. His son shows up and one of the guys in the group was former Cy Young winner Cliff Lee.

Reactions: NWICY

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Was golfing at Waveland for a bachelor party several years ago. We are getting ready to go up the hill on 1 when a beaver comes scurrying across 18 and into the first fairway. Some drunk guy chases it across and bludgeons it to death with his club, probably not more than 75 yards from us.
That post parlays nicely with the closed course stripper post.
My in laws house backs to a course where they brought in strippers and various talent for a union tourney. 1995 time period. Got completely out of control. Oral sex on the golf carts, in the woods, strippers driving through the subdivision naked.
No tourney after that. Damn shame.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Tailg8er and NWICY

Amac12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 21, 2020
Understanding just how far a scratch golfer is from a pro golfer was a real eye opener to me.
And most of the difference is mental. Ability to get past bad shots and having short game to recover. My son played college golf and was a plus one or two and many times we would play with people who said you should be a pro. He would always say they have no idea how good even the mini tour players are.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Thay post parlays nicely with the closed course stripper post.
My in laws house backs to a course where they brought in strippers and various talent for a union tourney. 1995 time period. Got completely out of control. Oral sex on the golf carts, in the woods, strippers driving through the subdivision naked.

At least give us the state this happened in. (please)

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
That post parlays nicely with the closed course stripper post.
O, the good ole days..

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I used to play a lot of golf when I was younger and I was decent as a 6 handicap. I was a member of the country club in our town and often played in tournaments. During one tournament I was in a foursome with a member that I knew was very good, but I had not played much golf with him. On that day, he shot a 63 to set the course record. The course was a difficult par 72. It was the best round of golf I had witnessed up close in person in my life. He made 63 look easy. This golfer had played on scholarship at Florida State during college and had played in the armature version of the Ryder Cup. I considered myself a good golfer, but it was pretty clear how different his game was from mine.
We were talking about that Sunday. Someone was -23 at the John Deere and we were at a tournament where one of the best amateurs in the state shoots 68-70 annually at like a 6100 yard course. The spread between world class players and really high level amateurs is just massive.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
I used to hunt golf balls along hole 4 at Homewood in Ames. That's a par 3 along the Skunk River. Anything left its gone. One summer evening, early 70s, I was just in the woods, left. Some tee placements you could only see the top of the flag. I hear a thud then wham ... a ball hits me. I'm a bit shocked so I pick it up and toss it on the green. Damn ball goes in the hole. I nearly run on the green to pull it out but over the hill comes the group so I hide in the trees. Guys walking all around me looking for that guy's ball. Someone yells look in the hole and others yell no way he was left. 10 seconds of silence then crazy yelling. HOLE IN ONE, HOLE IN ONE! They're all convinced it bounced off a tree and went in. Few days later Ames Tribune ... as they always did ....reports hole in one with witnesses. Guy gets a plaque. Can just see them as the years roll on in his basement as he points to the award, all his buddies claiming how lucky he was. Oh he was lucky. So if you're reading this now, you didn't get a fuc**** hole in one. Sorry.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If this doesn't describe golf in a nutshell, i'm not sure what does.
Yeah we were laughing about that on the way home. I’m generally pretty consistent and have never had anything like last weekend. Just a really weird golf weekend. Got to feel it all I guess.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
I played at the IGA state level and sectional level, never with a thought of winning but just enjoying the competition.

Learned this a long time ago,.....on planet Earth a million guys can play the grass off any golf course, but only a thousand can make a living just playing the game.

• Informative

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
I played at the IGA state level and sectional level, never with a thought of winning but just enjoying the competition.

Learned this a long time ago,.....on planet Earth a million guys can play the grass off any golf course, but only a thousand can make a living just playing the game.
My mom always said I was one in a million; does that mean I can play golf?

Attachments

• IMG_5151.gif
    IMG_5151.gif
    835 KB · Views: 2

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
My daughter, freshman year, playing Waveland for the first time. Scored the max ten on holes 1 and 2. Hole three, three amazing shots, gets her to just off the green, chips it in, she didn't see it because after she hit it she turned away, so she birdies the toughest hole, par 5, on the course. Proceeds to max ten the rest of the holes. Her coach was there for every shot, thank God, because no one would have believed just me