Campustown Redevelopment

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Looks like the end of Chinese Homestyle Cooking then. I loved that place.

The people that own it are planning on retiring when their lease is up in October I've heard. Arcadia Cafe is relocating to a larger location on Welch Ave.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
They should move that fire station to the corner of hayward and Lincoln way (site of drive through us bank)

They really should move it somewhere that allows for better access to get around town.

Plus how bad *** would it be for a bar or resturant to go into the fire sration location.

daphins

Jun 9, 2010
Cool shot I found on the interwebs this morning

attachment.php

WTF IS THAT ABOMINATION?!?!

That's one of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen! Bastardized podium, ugly proportions, horrible windows.

Good lord the architect in me is dying just looking at it...

• Disagree
Reactions: jkclone

HARMCYN

Jan 20, 2012
Cambridge, IA
Not exactly campus town, but what is going on at the old middle school football field/track lot across from Papa John's? A lot of dirt being moved around and all houses but one being bought and torn down.

Also, anythingive going to happen at the old middle school location?

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
Not exactly campus town, but what is going on at the old middle school football field/track lot across from Papa John's? A lot of dirt being moved around and all houses but one being bought and torn down.

Also, anythingive going to happen at the old middle school location?

Scroll down a little bit to a development called "breckenridge"

http://www.urbandsm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5630

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
All of a sudden, West Lincoln Way is seeing some development action. Great.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I've been hearing rumblings of building new dorms sometime in the next 7 years. One, I've heard, potentially will go over on the corner of Lincoln and University where the sand volleyball courts are.

That would actually be a pretty good place. Perfect for football season.

Er wait, did you mean S 4th and University?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I love all the development and surge of national chains moving into Ames. It shows the growth that we have made in the last 5-10 years and how people are noticing it nationally. Love it.

As for apartments going in where the intramural sand volleyball courts are, I don't know if I'd want to live there. But I am sure it will be cheaper than Campustown area, and not so far out as West or East Ames, so I could see the appeal.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Getting tired of all these new developments around town all looking pretty much identical (ugly). Is there only one architectural firm designing these buildings? They're so generic. :(

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Getting tired of all these new developments around town all looking pretty much identical (ugly). Is there only one architectural firm designing these buildings? They're so generic. :(

The new one on Hayward looks kind of interesting, but I don't really understand your complaint. What exactly do you expect to see, a bunch of pyramids?

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Not sure what your looking for from an architectural standpoint. But so long as the building in campustown is made of brick, I am fine with it. I like the old town feel of brick on buildings.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Not sure what your looking for from an architectural standpoint. But so long as the building in campustown is made of brick, I am fine with it. I like the old town feel of brick on buildings.
Agreed, there needs to be more of that included in some developments from here on out. I mentioned in another thread that the new hotel should play off the architecture of Friley since it has such a prominent presence along Lincoln Way.

I personally thought 2320's architecture left a little to be desired. The Foundry turned out really nice.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
They are looking at building new dorms, rec facility, and dining at the Towers site (Knapp/Storm) south of campus. $120+ mil project. http://www.fpm.iastate.edu/planning...ary.asp?CP_Number=CP002306&Work_order=WD45422
another rec facility?? that would be crazy. Outdoor Lazy River?? But if anything I think putting new dorms in place of the Tower's site would be a smart move. I have only been in there once and never wanted to go back, plus it is out of the way as far as student housing goes. If they want it to be appealing to students at that location they need to make changes.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
They are looking at building new dorms, rec facility, and dining at the Towers site (Knapp/Storm) south of campus. $120+ mil project. http://www.fpm.iastate.edu/planning...ary.asp?CP_Number=CP002306&Work_order=WD45422

I'd be curious as to what kind of recreation facilities they would be looking at adding. When I was in college, I was a part of the committee for the expansion of state gym and renovation of Lied. I know campus has grown by 10k since that time, but I am not sure if it would be a good use of resources to create another rec center with track, courts, swimming pool, etc. I could see something along the lines of a few workout rooms, weights, and treadmills as that would be easy to maintain.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Helping relative move into the new apartment building behind The Foundry Saturday. First day they can move in, so guessing the whole building will move in at once, being two days before classes start. A bit disturbed how it might go. Not a lot of parking although he has a spot in garage below but his dad is bringing an SUV full of stuff as well.

Moved my own kid yesterday, hopefully less creaky by Saturday for a 5th floor move where I anticipate elevator issues due to everyone moving at once.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'd be curious as to what kind of recreation facilities they would be looking at adding. When I was in college, I was a part of the committee for the expansion of state gym and renovation of Lied. I know campus has grown by 10k since that time, but I am not sure if it would be a good use of resources to create another rec center with track, courts, swimming pool, etc. I could see something along the lines of a few workout rooms, weights, and treadmills as that would be easy to maintain.

I would think something up that way might keep State from becoming overrun with all of the new buildings in Campustown. I know most of them have some kind of workout room, but guessing not enough for demand.