Campustown Redevelopment

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I had heard a while back they were closing for good. Makes sense now.

I was driving through campustown yesterday and it looked like Thai Kitchen my have closed too. That would be bad. Lots of restaurants shuttering due to the redevelopment. Hopefully some new, similar ones will move in.

Naw, the chains will continue to move in.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I had heard a while back they were closing for good. Makes sense now.

I was driving through campustown yesterday and it looked like Thai Kitchen my have closed too. That would be bad. Lots of restaurants shuttering due to the redevelopment. Hopefully some new, similar ones will move in.

Thai Kitchen is still open, they are looking at making improvements to the building facade though. They either removed the sign to inspect the fade on the west side or it partially fell off. Joy's Mongollian isn't part of any redevelopment plans that I am aware of, although eventually I think they want to remove that building to widen the alley next to it so it is two ways. 122 Hayward will have structured parking and I think the plan might be to close the access off welch once the alley off Hayward is two way. Probably quite a ways off though if it ever happens. Also, India Palace is expected to move back into the new building once it is done and they opened up a temporary location at North Grand Mall.

Last edited:

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I'm interested in the hotel component of this latest proposal. I've been thinking that area near campus or over by the Iowa State Center would be a good place for a hotel. Right now all hotels are near interchanges on the edges of town.

Last edited:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Yup...out with Chinese Homestyle Cooking...in with Panda Express, and if the development finds favor with the food chain gods, maybe it can snag a P.F. Chang's...

Actually, Panda Express is opening where the old Pizza Hut on Duff was.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Thai Kitchen is still open, they are looking at making improvements to the building facade though. They either removed the sign to inspect the fade on the west side or it partially fell off. Joy's Mongollian isn't part of any redevelopment plans that I am aware of, although eventually I think they want to remove that building to widen the alley next to it so it is two ways. 122 Hayward will have structured parking and I think the plan might be to close the access off welch once the alley off Hayward is two way. Probably quite a ways off though if it ever happens. Also, India Palace is expected to move back into the new building once it is done and they opened up a temporary location at North Grand Mall.
Thank God!

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA

A trial to see if removing parking and widening the sidewalk to make the area more pedestrian and bike friendly will work in the future when they reconstruct the streetscape (3-4 years out). Widening the sidewalk will also allow for outdoor sidewalk cafes. Personally I think the area should move toward a more pedestrian and bike friendly design since there is a lot of ped and bike traffic.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I've never understood why they don't just make a ped mall out of Welch up to Pizza Pit or so? No reason cars have to go up Welch IMO. It would be so much nicer IMO.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Fire station :(

Disclaimer: I don't have any experience as a city planner, engineer, etc.

If they're going to do a massive overhaul of the Welch Ave/Campustown area to make it pedestrian/bike only, why not relocate the FD as part of the overhaul process? Move it over to Hayward where the India Palace and Domino's locations are (aren't they closing/being forced out?) if they have to have a station in that area. Or somewhere else, I can't keep up with what has changed since I'm not in the area.

Just saying that if the FD is the only thing holding the town back from making this area a ped mall (it's the only substantial reason I've ever seen given), they'd find or build an alternative location if they really wanted it to be a ped mall.

/amateur thoughts

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

If they're going to do a massive overhaul of the Welch Ave/Campustown area to make it pedestrian/bike only, why not relocate the FD as part of the overhaul process? Move it over to Hayward where the India Palace and Domino's locations are (aren't they closing/being forced out?) if they have to have a station in that area. Or somewhere else, I can't keep up with what has changed since I'm not in the area.

Just saying that if the FD is the only thing holding the town back from making this area a ped mall (it's the only substantial reason I've ever seen given), they'd find or build an alternative location if they really wanted it to be a ped mall.

/amateur thoughts

It would be tough to move a fire station where a 6 story apartment building is going to be built.

Pretty obvious it isn't a priority. You guys and your ped mall fantasies are weird.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
It would be tough to move a fire station where a 6 story apartment building is going to be built.

Pretty obvious it isn't a priority. You guys and your ped mall fantasies are weird.

A. I didn't know a 6 story apartment building was going there. Hence the "Or somewhere else..." line.

B. "Pretty obvious it isn't a priority." = my last point, exactly.

Why is it weird to think a ped mall would be nice to have there? Traffic crawls through there at all times of day, even more so at night because there are so many people at the bars, eating, walking to/from home and class, etc. What harm is there in making the area a ped mall (assuming the FD could be relocated)?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

/amateur thoughts

"Moving a fire station" is expensive. You make it sound like it is moving a bike rack.

Plus, they may want to keep the fire station close to a few of the dumps on Welch.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Why is it weird to think a ped mall would be nice to have there? Traffic crawls through there at all times of day, even more so at night because there are so many people at the bars, eating, walking to/from home and class, etc. What harm is there in making the area a ped mall (assuming the FD could be relocated)?

A fire truck probably would be able to get through a ped mall faster than the current street when cars are stuck in both directions on Welch. It is easier to move people than vehicles in gridlock.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron