Campustown Redevelopment

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I pay ~$700 a month for Legacy but that includes all utilities and cable. It is expensive but it is through iowa state university which makes it nice since it just goes through tuition. We pay for the closeness to the bars.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I think as more units are added to Ames prices could actually go down a bit, right now it is hard for developers to keep up with the increases in student population, but that growth is project to slow/become more sustainable over the next few years. More units means more competition for the companies renting and thus competitive prices I would hope.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Of all the different places my son has lived, Freddy Court was really the best deal financially. The four people in a two bedroom version.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I think as more units are added to Ames prices could actually go down a bit, right now it is hard for developers to keep up with the increases in student population, but that growth is project to slow/become more sustainable over the next few years. More units means more competition for the companies renting and thus competitive prices I would hope.

Supply isn't increasing as fast as demand.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
what is average rent in ames now? i paid $800/month for a 2 bedroom on campus ave in 2006/7 and that was high because of the proximity to campus.

I live in a 2 bedroom on Campus Ave right now and it's $510 a month on average.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Found this on urbandsm forums:

[h=3]RE: CAMPUSTOWN REDEVELOPMENT#128366[/h]
By cyclone87 - Fri May 20, 2016 5:49 pm
Like 1
http://www.urbandsm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128366&sid=6107b5459b03fabd07f8eee845dcb176#p128366

A significant project is being proposed on a 1.8 acre site between Hyland and Sheldon Ave on the south side of Lincoln Way. Proposed to be a 5-6 story mixed use project including a boutique hotel, a small amount of commercial square footage along Lincoln Way and Sheldon, and a residential lobby, leasing offices, and amenity spaces on the ground floor with approximately 168 apartment units and 510 bedrooms and amenity space on the upper levels of a five to six-story building. The developer desires to provide one parking space per apartment unit and hotel room and configure the development with structured parking accessed from Hyland and Sheldon. Will likely need a new zoning type for Ames to allow the project to happen. This is the company behind the proposal, looks like they have done some pretty big projects: http://rivercaddis.com/
http://www.cityofames.org/home/showdocument?id=27517

attachment.php

Attachments

• QnAMlhf.jpg
    QnAMlhf.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 613

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Anybody know what the parking spaces to apartment units ratios are for the new buildings? I would think they are similar to this project at 1:1. Do lots of people not have cars or where are they parking them? I don't recall a single person who didn't have a car in Ames when I was in school.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Anybody know what the parking spaces to apartment units ratios are for the new buildings? I would think they are similar to this project at 1:1. Do lots of people not have cars or where are they parking them? I don't recall a single person who didn't have a car in Ames when I was in school.

mandating more parking only results in increased traffic. it's hard to imagine but making parking harder results in fewer cars. i didn't have a car for 3 of my 5 years in college.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

It is all dependent on the area the apartment is located in. Some areas of town require 1 space per bedroom, other require 1 space per unit.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Chinese Homestyle better find another place to set up shop. I'll be ****** if they go away.

I had heard a while back they were closing for good. Makes sense now.

I was driving through campustown yesterday and it looked like Thai Kitchen my have closed too. That would be bad. Lots of restaurants shuttering due to the redevelopment. Hopefully some new, similar ones will move in.